free hit
counters
First trip to the "Ring" - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

First trip to the "Ring"

DJW

It took a bit of persuasion, but a few of us managed to drag the annual petrol head trip away from Le Mans to try something different. God send for me as I hate tents ;)

So we agreed on a trip to the Nurburgring to have a drive on the F1 circuit and the "ring", whilst also watching a VLN race.

Now the f1 circuit is only open once a week for 90 minutes, at 18:30 on a Wednesday. This meant a 4am start :(. Not as bad as sitting in a XBOW with no heater though, as one mate did !

So 8 cars managed to get to our B&B in time to dump the bages and get to the F1 circuit. Pulling up in the car park to find full race GT3's and M3's, plus dozens of bikes, made it a bit daunting. Would have helped if I knew the circuit, so went on in blind faith. Very entertaining having cars and bikes coming from all angles, but enjoyable at least. Did manage to go into turn 3 too hot on one lap, but the Evora just took it in its stride :)

3fdb92936170f99869700ca5d3798fa9_zps9a8e

Next evening took my first 2 laps on the ring. Luckily it wasn't too busy and one of the guys who has 60 laps experience , led the way for a sighting lap. Every body rants and raves how good it is and that ps3 games can't give you the proper feeling of undulations etc. They are right ;)

7273b26d8f5b3bbb0ef82b1ac56b5866_zps001d

Watched the race on Friday, which was shortened due to rain, but great to watch all the same. Sabine did a stellar job as can be seen here :- http://youtu.be/sP7aFlznAk0

Sunday managed to get another 2 laps in, before retiring to a local cafe to watch e F1.

d223926b6a02bdb499d67878f8737003_zps0f80

Great trip and will definitely be back, after I've learnt the track a bit more on the PS3

Some of the other cars within the group

f12c48de0c5b8882f8e6a8c941de1089_zps814b

8419f549819b40fbb372f0d677cf96d4_zpsb98f

330a59c6a7b677d7de7d5d687fe179e3_zps1afc

91b0aca91ce3abf043c20d7b8f1e4312_zpsbf52

0d3a29a4b8ff3dcc233fb0204d1b8ce6_zpsb2b9

4833cab8d2f3845eb04dccbd2a20046b_zpsb1b3

af8f909974717b2a6b39fc06a683d1f2_zps3e93

Dave

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice pics! Looks like you had it easy compared to most of your mates :) I agree about tents!

The PS3 does help you to learn the general layout, but it doesn't reflect the sheer elevation change on the circuit, or the cambers in the surface. The track is also a lot more narrow than you think.

I think some people need to learn that just because a section is "flat out" on the Playstation, doesn't mean it is in reality. Two guys in a Golf tried taking the Foxhole section flat (on their first lap of their first visit!) when I was there, with inevitable consequences - one written off car plus a hospital visit. More importantly, it closed the track for a couple of hours which inconvenienced the rest of us!!

Just noticed that you also have a 2-eleven. You should have taken that - now that would have been hardcore :)

Edited by Neal H

Hardcore and my age don't mix ;)

Agree re some people trying too hard. Saw quite a few smacked up cars in the barriers on way round and scarily some seemed to involve a motorcycle :(. I purposely tried to choose quieter slots .

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Sounds like you had a fab trip, car looks great.

Evora and The Ring are a good match. Great steering and grip is what's needed there.

Impressive selection of cars :-)

Nice to see somebody else taking on the "Green Hell" in an Evora :-D

I've been there a few times and it's always a bit dodgy.. Seen blood and helicopters more times than I wish.. So much so that last year we decided as a group to not bother this year and two days at Spa instead. I don't think the track is dangerous provided you drive within your envelope... It's just scary seeing some oink in an old M3 lock up and miss you by an inch or not see a motorbike as he's got his knee down on your wing!!! :-O

The Ring is the ultimate test in driver and car but there are a lot of unpredictable nutters out there :-( Proceed with a lot of caution !!!

Spa. Now that sounds like a good idea. I hadn't planned to track my Evora, but my recent 'Ring visit has whetted my appetite a bit. I wouldn't regularly track it, but making an annual pilgrimage to one of the classics sounds like a plan :)

Neil,

That's all I do. Car insured with CCI, minimal wear and tear.

Haven't with the best will in the world got the time to justify anymore indulgent days :-D

Spa, Oulton and Goodwood with B & C for me this year.

Evora is just magic at Spa. My N/A is slow compared to most cars but just as much fun.

Highly recommend it :-)

P.S

After doing tents at Le Mans I too am done with scumming it!

Accommodation at Spa:-

http://www.hotel-de-la-source.com/en/hotel/presentation

:-)

Spa. Now that sounds like a good idea. I hadn't planned to track my Evora, but my recent 'Ring visit has whetted my appetite a bit. I wouldn't regularly track it, but making an annual pilgrimage to one of the classics sounds like a plan :)

My mates and I have been doing an annual pilgrimage to Spa and the Ring for the last few years, it's an absolute must. We have favourite routes, hotels and restaurants that are always good to go back to. Going through the tunnels around Liege with an assortment of cars is always enjoyable ;)

I'm actually going again next month with the family for a holiday!

My recommendation for a B&B that is in central Spa is http://www.entre-deux-pays.be

Edited by JAWS

I do love your Evora ..looks like my peeeerfect spec! ..drool

Great selection of cars as said , the ring is a wonderful place :)

Looking cool :)

Friend found the XBow comfortable although a tad cold early in the morning. I was passenger for a 120 mile trip out one day and on a sunny day it's a nice place to be. Not sure if seats would offer enough lumbar support for me, over a long distance. One to own at some point :)