free hit
counters
lucas constant energy ign - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
andy b

lucas constant energy ign

I have just replaced the disi on the NA/HC with one off an excel with the lucas constant energy system

As this would have been fitted originally. In fact when i took of the ign box off the boot the lucas black box was still in there.

This system advances the ign timing by 22" via vacuum advance when the water temp rises it shuts of the vacuum and the disi runs with mechanical advance only. When i started the car from cold all was fine until the vacuum shut of and the timing went to normal (when you loose the vacuum the guts of the disi rotate reverting to static timing) I lost the spark to plugs.

remove disi and have a  detailed look at the operation of the moving parts there is a little copper contact between the top and bottom plates so i fitted a copper braid wire between the two plates and soldered lugs on the ends using existing fixing screws i have a good connection in there.

Fitted it back in all fine. What has got me going is the magic contact in the disi  has two wires in there you would think they just close contact or open contact  but it must switch to earth any one now about this system just the bit in the disi not the black box. 

andy b :huh:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The lumnition igni failed on the 82 turbo so i fitted a constant energy system from a scrap excel all was fine engine started and run fine.This one is driving me mad I decided to remove the excel disi  to save it for a spare as i have an excel and a mate has an excel. I have a disi of a sunbeam with no vac advance. which is correct for the turbo (well i think so anyway)

connect up the sunbeam disi to the to black box, pull of the coil to cap ht lead  pop a s/plug on the end to earth turn disi by hand nice big spark at plug.

Cool no probs that was 2 days ago.

fit the replacement disi crank engine not a murmur check no spark at plugs. 

Remove the coil to cap lead fit a s/plug to earth remove solenoid lead from starter motor turn on igni  using a wire from battery to starter (still with me lol) solenoid crank engine no spark at plug.

remove disi turn by hand nice big fat spark but you have to turn the disi at a reasonable speed to get it to spark.

Try a third disi works great by hand fit and no spark at plugs.

Ok cranking speed (remember a slightly later disi from the excel was fine). check and find no engine to chassis earth lead fit one may improve engine cranking still same no spark when all fitted up.

I am knackery my hands are bleeding my legs are killing me from standing in the engine bay astride the g/box going to fit the excel disi now had a cuppa had a whinge feeling better hands stopped bleeding. Back to it I am so stubborn i will get to the bottom of this. andy b

The one with the nylon shield is a late 45dm works fine engine now running again.

the other one is off a lotus sunbeam 43dm not a chance of starting yet sparks ok when spun by hand.

no idea why i give in i need to move on with the car. andy b

post-13282-0-88060500-1405337876.jpg

The one with the nylon shield is a late 45dm works fine engine now running again.

the other one is off a lotus sunbeam 43dm not a chance of starting yet sparks ok when spun by hand.

no idea why i give in i need to move on with the car. andy b

So... I take it that the turbo models do not have vacuum advance and that the Lucas Ignition amplifier advances instead? Not sure how it would do that.

What does NA/HC stand for?

Thanks!

So... I take it that the turbo models do not have vacuum advance and that the Lucas Ignition amplifier advances instead? Not sure how it would do that.

Thanks!

Normally aspirated high compression The advance is by throw out weight's in the disi body advancing the plate the pickup is fixed to. The early turbo has a Luminition system mine failed so i fitted the later lucas one as i had a spare i have found them to be reliable.

Thanks!

Hey Thomas / Andy,

I have a Turbo HC, but according to the manual, both the Turbo & Non Turbo (NA) only have a Vacumm Advance when cold.

It pulls the Dizi about 25 deg advance (which seems heaps, but works) to help cold start. At approx 85c, the advance is switched off, and as Andy said, uses Cetrifugal Advance when warm.

The "Ignition amplifier" is only a switch, like points in a conventional car.

When the Reluctor (star thingie in the Dizi) passes the pick-up, it generates a small voltage.

The Module in the Ignition amplifier then switches the larger power on & off to the coil as required.

The Constant Energy Ignition or High Energy Ignition is used on many other cars, and you can google allot of info on the setup.

Other cars that use the system include many GM Cars, Land Rovers, Jaguar and many more, so is not a special "Lotus" system. The system can handle higher power than points (which burn out)

The Module inside the amplifier does fail from time-to-time, but fortunatly with GM parts and there performance upgrades common as mud, they are easy to replace.

It is interesting to note, that the OEM module in the Amplifier has "GM" on it :)

Drew

Drew

thanks for the input i run the NA HC without the vac advance