free hit
counters
EFI Systems - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
langleytw

EFI Systems

Does anyone have an opinion or experience regarding currently available EFI systems for the Esprit?

I would like to convert and any info on particular systems would be appreciated.

'A pound of rubber is worth a Ton of engineering.'- Jim Endruweit quoting Colin Chapman.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Tom,

If you want to convert to injection but keep the Esprit looking original, there

is a conversion available from Northampton Motorsport. They use the Webber

twin choke body with injection internals...

All of this is done in a way that the engine still looks the same externally... This will

also give you several other options, like doing away with the temperamental Dizzy.

your plug leads can come from a coil pack placed where the Dizzy is so it will look

unchanged..

This system has been developed with the classic enthusiast in mind, to give the reliability

of new technology with original appearance..

I have seen these and they do look impressive..

I can vouch for NMS as they have helped me with a lot of my development tuning..

they can be reached on 01604 766624 ask for Troy..

For further information your can also read a feature published in Performance Ford magazine.

Dave 

It's the reliability/compatibility that I'm really looking for. These things aren't cheap and I don't want to be a test dummy for someone else. I knew about the Lotusbits package, but I'm always a bit sceptical until I get good info from the horses mouth. I'll do a search on the Sunbeam forum.

Hadn't heard about the NMS package. I'll look into it.

Thanks.

'A pound of rubber is worth a Ton of engineering.'- Jim Endruweit quoting Colin Chapman.

I have heard nothing but good about Megasquirt. It seems to be used mostly on (Rover) V8 engines, but should work on any engine. A friend runs it in his Range Rover 3.5, both spark (through EDIS) and fuelling, and it has been extremely reliable and relatively easy to install. There is also good support available, with a dedicated userforum for all questions. I have a full set myself, for my Range Rover, but haven't gotten round to it (a bit more complicated as mine is a latter model with a lot more electrickery). Another mate started work to convert his Turbo Esprit (spark only, which is called Megajolt) but that project has been on hold since he bought a Stevens N/A...

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Would be great if anyone who has an aftermarket EFI currently on their 900 series engine could give a recommendation.

Thanks Filip for your reply.

I've an emerald K3 fitted. Works real smooth. Used the throttle bodies of an S4. Bought new injectors from RC. Modified the IACV from S4 to Elise type. Installed a wideband lambda, an exhaust temperature measurement, a T34 turbo and a big chargecooler. A triggerwheel on the crankchaftpully...

Would I do it again? Yes, much easier to maintain.

• Like 1

it's on my to do list as well, I've  118mm long jenvey dcoe throttle bodies (they look like cleaned up carbs) and a Kdfi cumputer (Megasquirt based) so as soon as my banks-62 runs I start working on the fuel injection for my s3 

if you do it yourself it can be don for +/_ 1500 (some are also converting the old dellorto's and use second hand injectors to keep cost as low as +/_ 900. hilly did it on his s3 before he went audi v8.... 

good luck

I'll put the carbs on the shelf and stick on modern efi. It's worth it for the saving in fuel alone, plus all the other benefits.

Emerald are just up the road so realistically I'll probably get a kit from there. I could look around and put something together myself but experience tells me it always takes a lot longer and costs more than one thinks.

Step 1: You best start with a triggerwheel and MAP measurement, with this installed you can start with a DIS ignition. Copy the ignition mapping from the original distributor.