free hit
counters
My Esprit V8 project - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Retro Rides Gathering was another great day until the rain came down! and Jesus did it rain! had a blat up the hill but it was way too wet! rear tyres just span when ever I tried to give it some beans....I was pretty nervous to be honest with everyone watching and taking videos so took it a bit easy as it was my first time! so sorry if anyone was expecting a mental hero run! may have looked a bit of a pussy but the last thing I wanted was video on youtube of me crashing! over heating issues seam to be near enough sorted now, but the next issue is battery going flat due to the fans and pump running when I turn the engine off, all the stop starts waiting in the queue plus the compressor filling the air tanks really rips the shit out the battery. So could only do one run.

https://youtu.be/EqvWcuvKxfE

Nice to meet up with some old friends again and made many new, plenty of really nice cars and some really mental and fast drivers going up the hill.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

With all the problems you seem to battling against have you ever thought of changing the engine to something like a 45 deg 4 cylinder or something like that???

With all the problems you seem to battling against have you ever thought of changing the engine to something like a 45 deg 4 cylinder or something like that???

Paul how dare you use such foul language! besides they don't make the right sound, and are just as much trouble.

Rob,

Nothing wrong with driving slow in that sort of weather with those bends, rather sensible I would say ;)

You only have to look at youtube for the bad end results. crowds plus cameras plus a heavy foot...results in

poorly cars and sad owners :cry:

A

Any longer videos? That was 10 seconds!

apparently I have been told a professional photographer has a amazing video of me launching off the line with the wheel spin in slow mo! waiting for a upload.

Rob,

Nothing wrong with driving slow in that sort of weather with those bends, rather sensible I would say ;)

You only have to look at youtube for the bad end results. crowds plus cameras plus a heavy foot...results in

poorly cars and sad owners :cry:

Yes have seen some of those vids before I went! broken bodywork and wheels and driveshaft's hanging off the car is not a good look! would make me very sad and make me cry! It was just for a bit of fun and so people could see it moving and of course hear it! Even one of the best drivers had an off and went through a fence! it was very slippery......

Haha, I actually saw you on the run, must have been proper slippy, the rain really put a downer on things. Looked way good though, look forward to seeing the high res vid.

Between your esprit and charliecrokers elite I think

you pair are doing a great job showing these cars

and think quite a few people at the shows would

Of been trawling the inter webs when they got

Home for lotus projects !

• Like 2

A

Good luck finding an Esprit project under £5k! the days of finding a fixable project for a few grand are sadly gone..........shame would love to see many more modified! I think Luke knows of another modified Elite or Éclat build in progress? would be nice to see a build thread? would love to do another Lotus myself fingers crossed one day may get lucky.

Yep the old esprits are definatly getting hard to find now at sensible project money, it makes me happy and yet sad if you

know what I mean, The elites can still be found at decent money but are increasing gradually and soon will be the same

as the esprit all projects will run dry, Sad thing with the elite is they always used to get stripped for parts and then the bodyshells

used to get tipped as they where hardest bit to sell :cry: Just be thankfull we all purchased a while ago. I payed a 1k for the black

basket case a good few years ago without looking at it !  but got nearly that back for the wheels alone which luckily where surplus to requirements.

A

Yeah, there is another elite build in progress but the guy is not on here or retro rides, he has big plans for it but I feel he will struggle to get it done, although if he pulls it off, it would be a the lowest elite ever created, he was talking about cutting the floor pan off completely and reglassing a new floor inplace! I haven't spoken to him for a while so I don't know where he is at with it.

the problem with lowering the body on the chassis is engine clearance? it will stick out the bonnet! looked into doing that on the Scimitar.

20936328541_97d40cee1c_c.jpg

Broke my cheap ass china junk bonnet catch at Shelsley Walsh! Anyone using these type of catches? I have seen more expensive ones for sale but wondered if they are any better or just sold with a higher mark up?

Spent a few hours today at the breakers and came across a really nice servo for the Esprit.

It’s from a Honda S2000 and looks a pretty good match for fitting it’s the same diameter but has more depth, I first thought it maybe a double servo but I don’t think it is? Anyway it’s going on when I get some spare time and I will see how it performs.

20936757651_bb2189a56f_c.jpg

Going up Shelsley Walsh in the rain! Picture taken by Phil George (Monzaphil)

20925610112_516f425ca4_c.jpg

Picture taken by Chris Frosin (doing my photo shoot for Retro Cars in September!)

20748607739_66b1e02e94_c.jpg 

• Like 2

Nice picture of the esprits stance, love the fat rear tyres ;)  Will be intrested to see the effects of the Honda

brake servo and how much improvement you gain.

A

20573782994_3fa22edab0_c.jpg

Updates and progress will be a little slow on the Esprit due to building the V8 Scimitar.

Fitted the genuine AeroCatch locking latches today. Really nice quantity compared to the rip off china crap I installed. As you can see from the pic the genuine ones are a little smaller and the locks are smaller also, they have a nice spring action and a backing plate that holds the nuts for the mounting screws so installing is also much easier.

The crap I fitted are called “D1 Sanko” and labeled as if made in japan! Don’t buy them!

Rob

The proper ones are pretty expensive, but they do the job, sadly like most things that are built in China are utter s///e regarding quality. I looked at using those on the black car but have now decided to hide the latches, and will open stuff from the inside.

Are those s1 looking wing mirrors you purchased a while ago still on fleabay, have tried looking but cant them,can you remember what they were listed as ?

Hope you get a bit more time on this motor but balancing it with another project is hard, will keep an eye on your thread on the other site to see how the Scimitar is going from time to time.

Don't leave the lotus too long as they get jealous and start to play up :D

A

Hi Dan,

Not seen the mirrors again on greedbay so maybe they sold out? I think I got lucky on them.......The Lotus will play up regardless! I need a fresh project just to keep me sane! Will still do bits on the Esprit as I doubt it will be never finished! I like getting stuck into big projects and fitting V8 engines is always a buzz. I also have the Lamborghini Gallardo rep on the back burner! You can never have too many projects.......

Got some new ARP stainless carb studs in the post, going to replace the china junk Mr Gasket studs. Have a bit of a balancing act now with the V8 scimitar build also in progress. Never enough hours in the day to get everything done……..

21261831422_0a4fffb0c5_c.jpg

See Rob,

Your treating her so she does not get jealous of the Scimitar :D

A

Just seen the one posted from Chris on instagram, looks stunning. Expect a bit of a wait before the feature is printed, I think they work on a 3-6 month lead time, I'm still waiting to hear for my feature, there's so many retro modified cars out there at the moment, they find it hard to keep up.