free hit
counters
My Esprit V8 project - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On 9/20/2015 at 19:35, V8-ESPRITS3 said:

20950072713_6616fd6f51_h.jpg

21559934272_2dd7b110e3_h.jpg 

my plan is to have it at this ride height and be able to drive it but at the moment the arches touch the tyres and the camber angles are shocking! I know I will have to mod the arches but the camber can only be fixed by changing the suspension location points at the rear. If I used a longer adjustable top link as used to adjust camber the driveshafts and lower links would still be at a horrible angle.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The thing i do not get though,  and i am not getting at the air ride been fitted to an esprit and understand what perks the air ride has for the scene you like,  but  if you want a low esprit,  why not just lower it ?  I got my s3 not far off hitting the deck,   41 inches from floor to roof,  wheels sat in arches, only drama was speed humps and very steep incline driveways.   Handled fantastic, in fact just like a go cart lol.   

Just cant see why you do not maybe decrease the wheel width size at the rear a little and drop it on standard adjustable suspension, tucking the wheels in as it gives the same look as lowered  air ride but without the mad camber problems.  

• Like 1

A

So I found this thread while researching airbag suspension for my s4. I am not into lowering it to a "lowrider" but want the ability to raise it for speed bumps, parking lot entrances etc. Mine sits pretty low now and I do get some wheel rub when hitting dips etc at speed on the rears. My question is will these bags fit directly to my current struts, replacing the springs? I have SPAX on now and already have an airpump system from another project I could use.  I am guessing there will be other mods needed, especially for the front. I was hoping I could add a bag to the existing setup kinda like i did on my SUV to lift the rear a bit when hitching a trailer. Not really interested in swapping the springs for bags and thought a "helper" bag would work. Thanks for any info.

http://www.kmwperformance.com/product/UA-02-ST-SB-14

s4.jpg

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

Wow has been a long time since I have been here!

John they are what I used but they do not fit without a lot of work! they dont clear the top arms (too wide) and also rub on the chassis. You can buy some small air bags/springs which fit on top of the springs on coilovers which can raise the car around an inch to solve your problem. Shame photofucket wrecked every ones post by removing pics as you would have seen the work needed. If I can find info on the ones I am talking about I will pass it on.

Thanks for the info. That is a bit more expensive that I had hoped! I have 3 sets of front spoiler lips and keep a refurbed set ready to go on when I scuff one up. I think I will keep that plan for now :)

John
94 S4

Started to do some work again on my old project.

I have not seen this done before to an Esprit, a few race cars have had complete rear clams that lift off.

Mine just flips up like  a Ferrari F40 the rear top quarter stays attached to the rear tailgate . The hinges and struts seem up to the job taking the weight no problem.

That rear section does not weigh much anyway and I am not going to use the glass window.

I plan to make a frame to support the rear bumper, valance and rear lower quarters so that will all stay in place.

This is going to be great to gain access to work on the car I am getting too old to climb over the back into the hatch!

rear flip.jpg

• Like 2

I wanted to do this with mine, somewhere I took a picture and cut it to do the same thing,  I was going to cut and follow the air scoops down to hide some of the cut. Looks great there

2 hours ago, eddie lotus nj said:

I wanted to do this with mine, somewhere I took a picture and cut it to do the same thing,  I was going to cut and follow the air scoops down to hide some of the cut. Looks great there

Thanks Eddie yes cutting by the air scoop ears would work very well but I still wanted to use the filler locations. I did consider that and think its maybe the best way to do it if you want to use another way to fill the tanks.

Very cool Rob,  Make sure you get some white flow coat or white epoxy on those cut lines, just  with a small paint brush to seal it before she soaks up any moisture, and causes micro blisters    :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing this project come on

A

8 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Very cool Rob,  Make sure you get some white flow coat or white epoxy on those cut lines, just  with a small paint brush to seal it before she soaks up any moisture, and causes micro blisters    :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing this project come on

Thanks Dan I did not think fibreglass would take in moisture? I will paint the cuts asap! its going to need a full respray at some point when I have finished.

Yes broken / cut will always soak up moisture,  and apparently hold it for a good while also   :)

A

WOW! ,  Rob you are a brave man to cut up an esprit like this.....  I will follow this post with much interest.

You could always look at fitting larger intake ears also Rob,  I made these years ago out of sheet alloy,  but grp ones would be more prefrable imo,

This was also clam shelled but from the doors backwards, windows are poly carbonate with rubber seals for the frame,

Colin Chapmans  S1 esprit prototype was clam shelled but yours is a good design also and keeps the weight down,  

20170701_165429.jpg.09add14dfbe54ac24f4d3dd4ca3889a7.thumb.jpg.85d54410d7df25e08f383dfa0a8e0773.jpg

A

I like your project Dan is it a new one on the go? I did make the side scoops bigger on mine with some alloy spacers. Do you get problems with heat with your Audi V8? 

No this one is years old Rob about 9 years  , it was clam shelled on the rear and later the front also,  So many changes in ideas etc, It will get finished but i have a 79 body also that is currently in the Emerald isles still awaiting collection,  This will be built as a wide body Group 5 design,  I would of used the black one but the extra panel width the clams would not work due to how wide i need the car, the clams would flex to much.

The silver v8 has no cooling problems,   the only time you get a slight coolant rise in temps is when static in traffic on a hot day,  this is due to the extra coolant travel,  i.e the V8 was from a front engine car,  so the radiator was right next to the engine,  so Audi designed the water pump and circulation accordingly.

A quick blip of the throttle provides a sudden extra burst of circulation which brings the temp down straight away.   Also it has a second electric pump fitted to the heads/ heater matrix lines to provide extra coolant circulation when static,  3 core radiator and a larger oil cooler fitted with a fan that kicks in with the rad fans.

I live in Japan so never get chance to work on them as they are uk side,  will sort out shipping at some point point but need to look to more into regulations as the silver one is to loud exhaust note wise and i think it will need cats ?  Also need to find out project wise as i have the docs for the projects but not sure how you get on for registering uncompleted projects.   Sadly not as simple as just filling an iso container and shipping.

Also to register a car over here you need to register a parking space,  and do not fancy leaving the silver one out to cook in the sun in one of our parking spaces,  so need to find storage,  lots of head scratching to do lol.

• Like 1

A

look forward to seeing some updates and more pics Dan. You could make a small frame to beef up the clams?

I got some more work done today! I finished the rear frame to support the rear bumper, valance and lower rear quarters.

I also cut out some more inner body work, it was tough plucking up the courage to sink the disk cutter into the body to start with but glad I did it!

Lot of work still to do but also a little less to do....LOL

rear frame.jpg

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3
  • Like 1

Looks awesome Rob ,

You could always get rid of the bit of fiberglass just below the tailgate strut,  It would give a much better open appearance in the bay when it is open, but also when the engine is back in,  you will be able to see it better through the quarter glass imo.

A lot of thick fibreglass in those wheel arches,  would be nice to see what weight your esprit will be after its weight loss program as the Esprit lightweight,  always wanted to get my silver one on a weight bridge to what figure it came up with. 

Look forward to the progress,   it will make fabing up custom engine and trans mounts a lot easier for you.

A