free hit
counters
My Esprit V8 project - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I got some window louvre frames today as used in greenhouses and taken them apart and offered one side section up to the hatch glass. Looks like this has potential to make the adjustable rear louvre I want. I have some Polycarbonate to make the glass slats and window with and could fit a cable or a rod linkage to open and close it?

15103394081_44916678a1_z.jpg

15106398375_9d07c5549f_z.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going up Shelsley Walsh in the rain! Picture taken by Phil George (Monzaphil)     Picture taken by Chris Frosin (doing my photo shoot for Retro Cars in September!)  

Started to do some work again on my old project. I have not seen this done before to an Esprit, a few race cars have had complete rear clams that lift off. Mine just flips up like  a Ferrari

Posted Images

Just wanted to say that I looked at your car at brands and thought it was mega. I like many, am in the purest camp but I thought your car looked great and had to admire the workmanship. I am useless with mechanical stuff so find it impressive when someone goes to this much effort and it works!

Ok small update on progress, really just trying to improve air flow in the engine bay.

I have a few ideas and just trying some out to see how it goes.

One problem I had with alloy sheet covered in fibre glass was the fibre glass would soak up the heat and keep it!

I am now looking into removing the fibre glass and just having alloy. I have brought x4 8 inch fans,  2 will go at the rear of the engine bay and will suck hot air out. The other 2 will go at the side of the engine 1 each side and blow onto it.

a1_zps5ffd102c.jpg

a1a_zpscabcd1e9.jpg

I also plan to make an black alloy tonneau cover to cover it all and also make a heat shield to go under the air filter,

I can then use the ears as air inlet feeds to the side fans and also feed cold air direct to the air filter

a2_zps8294956c.jpg

I am going to box this in more so it will vent out the left side onto the exhaust

a5_zpsc00513cc.jpg

a4_zpsd5bdc286.jpg

I know some of you have used bilge fans and did look into that put as I am not keeping my car stock, I didn’t won’t to restrict/compromise the air flow I could by using 3 inch fans. I shower extraction fan is small and noisy and not that efficient and I guess the bilge pumps are similar? These fans are quiet and flow a fair amount of air. I am going to have the thermostatically controlled and a manual override switch for those traffic jams! And yes it’s safe to say my confirmed fetish for holes!

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Hi Rob

Genuine question Rob

Why do you seem to have much more of a problem with engine bay temp than us with turbos? Do you think its solely down to the louvres? I mean we have a dirty great hunk of cast iron glowing bright cherry red and have no fans or owt? Is it just because you are sucking air in from the engine bay to feed the engine? If so why dont you not worry about the engine bay temps and feed cool air for the induction? That would maybe be easier?

Im not saying cooling the engine bay isnt a good move by the way.

Buddsy  :stuart:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Buddsy,
I don't know why but my guess is the lack of cold air/flow and the fact that its all a tight fit? I am not happy with how hot it gets! the fibre glass boot area near the exhaust sections gets hot like too hot to hold your hand on for more than a few seconds, also the tailgate glass also gets very hot to touch? the engine is very wide with the TVR manifolds so that's also very close to the fibreglass engine cover sides, it just gets all too hot and not happy just living in denial and hoping it will be ok? maybe I am going over board but its better to have some nice air flow and keeping every thing cooler, its not really costing much to do just time. Plus the turbo also has the air intakes at the side skirts I wonder how much they help cool the engine bay?
Rob

What's your running temp Rob, and how hot is the exterior of the block after a run?

I can't see mention in this thread of the rad you're using, but IIRC Lotus had a fair bit of trouble cooling even the 4 pot well enough due to the angle and position of the rad at the front.

I'm sure you'll have covered this one off, but the rear glass getting hot, that would worry me too.

Btw, seen the recent thread on Lambos :-))

The heat wants to go up  so why not get rid of glass back  put in a louvred tail gate like on the Essex. Rather than trapping it with the glass and trying to pump it elsewhere.

What's your running temp Rob, and how hot is the exterior of the block after a run?

I can't see mention in this thread of the rad you're using, but IIRC Lotus had a fair bit of trouble cooling even the 4 pot well enough due to the angle and position of the rad at the front.

I'm sure you'll have covered this one off, but the rear glass getting hot, that would worry me too.

Btw, seen the recent thread on Lambos :-))

water temp is ok stays in the middle but hot fulley tested in a traffic jam yet! still work to do on the rad going to get it re-cored and made full width of the car, my rad is near flat due to the air suspension dropping the car really low and the rad is the lowest part of the car much lower than the chassis. I have 2 fans also fitted. Will look into the lambo thread do you have a link? thanks

The heat wants to go up  so why not get rid of glass back  put in a louvred tail gate like on the Essex. Rather than trapping it with the glass and trying to pump it elsewhere.

yes looking into that also as already mentioned in my thread, but the glass removal is risky and making the louvre is more work for me at the moment, will be doing it but not yet would like to get an old nackered tailgate to work on first. Some of the heat was trapped due to the bodywork covering the exhaust, my manifolds are high in the bay where as the lotus and many other v8 installs the manifolds are low and get some air flow.

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Sorry the essex louver is a ridged  plastic / fibre glass ridged black thing ( not sure if it went on other cars).  I thought you were looking to make  the whole thing in glass slats that openend and closed. I may have got the wrong end of the stick though.   I don't know if there was anything under the louver or just the engine.

post-1261-0-39317200-1410513711.jpg

yes also the tailgate structure shape under the turbo louvre is different, I believe the glass is structure in the S3 hatch and when the glass is removed it will flex. So not a quick easy job to do, my car is outside with no cover so I don't want it missing the rear glass for days while I make the louvre. Ideal would be to have a scrap old hatch to work on first as a jig to get it all sorted and working then attack my hatch when I have a finished louvre to fit.

I dont know how much flex you would get if you removed the glass from an N/A tailgate but the Turbo has the slats then there is the rear window in there too. Its really heavy.

Under the louvers goes the engine cover which is another thick GRP lid with a small area of vents to let the heat out and through the louvers. The engine bay temps get pretty hot in its little nest but isn't really an issue as it sucks cold air in for the intake.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Have you thought about wrapping the manifolds and exhaust?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 months later...

Not much done to the Esprit lately, I have been too busy with other projects (Lamborghini Gallardo replica) and having a major clear out of engines, parts, and projects just too much to do and no space or time to work on them!!

15809973116_45be97b90c_z.jpg

So sick of this rain and my Esprit getting scratched by the kids on their bikes! Just can not find a garage to rent near me over winter so have brought an outdoor Carcoon. Not cheap! But could be worth every penny if it does what the makers claim, time will tell……..

15213560784_1a1ef56846_z.jpg

15809884556_79a06059e0_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great and informative thread. Im currently working on fitting chevrolet 283 to the citroen trans on an 84 turbo chasis. Nice to see the citroen seems to be holding up ok. Im figuring if i dont drive it like a drag car, the trans will hold up ok. Love the pictures and the way the exaust was wrapped.