free hit
counters
Headlamps not switching off - help required! - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Headlamps not switching off - help required!

Having singularly failed to find a local auto-electrician, I had no option but to DIY.

As the pods lift perfectly with the dipbeam switch on, I concentrated on whether there was power going to the pod lift module when the stalk was pulled. Having checked what terminal was what on the pod delay module, I was able to determine whether I had continuity, and power to the correct places.

For those interested, you must first determine which terminal is which on the delay module, but it's not too hard to work out the numbers, which do correspond to the wiring diagram. 3 of the 9 terminal sockets are in use.

With the module removed, there is power to 2 & 6.

With the module in, there's power to 2, 4 & 6.

When the lights are switched on from the dash, there's power to 2 & 5.

With the main beams on there's power to 2, 3 & 5.

The pod lift module should receive power to terminal 'A' from terminal 5 of the pod delay module when the stalk is pulled to flash the main beams. It isn't receiving that power, hence I am concluding that the pod delay module has failed internally, and needs to be renewed. I might be flying a kite here, and maybe I should at least try a by-pass, and put some power onto terminal 'A' but I've run out of time.

Anyone got a spare pod delay module? :help:

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst doing some unrelated tinkering I found that the headlamp wiring diagram in Section ML of the Service Notes is wrong for the A100M6048F main / dip beam & indicator switch. This is what it sh

HI Ian, while I don't have the same car like you, mine's an SE 1990, I would look at the dim dip module and it related fuse (if any) It's an UK car feature. Some delete it. In my service notes (1988-

It's not the pod lift module, Travis. It's the pod delay module (pale-green, looks like a tall relay), situated on the relay 'arm'. Yup, there's the bloke down the road with a 1998 GT3, I'll see if

Posted Images

Good thinking. Will be very interesting to see, what was the root cause.

In the event of you getting your hands on another mdule, you could maybe open the old one, and repair it to have a future one.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

It's not the pod lift module, Travis. It's the pod delay module (pale-green, looks like a tall relay), situated on the relay 'arm'.

Find a fellow owner and swap out first!

Yup, there's the bloke down the road with a 1998 GT3, I'll see if I can sweet talk him. His car's yellow, but beggars can't be choosers, eh?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

You'll probably find it works much better from a yellow car.

• Like 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-LOTUS-ESPRIT-V8-HEADLAMP-POD-DELAY-MODULE-C082M6325F-B082M6325F-/221290405192

4cyl cars pod delay C082M6352F  Kinda looks like a typo, since there is no other reference to this number on the web.

v8 car pod delay C082M6325F   

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

The pod lift module should receive power to terminal 'A' from terminal 5 of the pod delay module when the stalk is pulled to flash the main beams.

Pin A (of 5) on the pod lift module does not receive power from pin 5 of the pod delay module. The pin 5 connection is an input to the pod delay module and the connection to the pod lift module is commoned to the +V from the master light switch or dip/main beam stalk (depending on which one is in use).

I don't understand that, Derek. Why would the delay module need to receive power from the lift module? I say that because there is already power at terminal 4 of the pod delay, which connects to 'C' on the lift module.

Maybe I should split the lift module and see if there's anything amiss inside, too.

Margate Exotics.

The pod delay module does not receive power from the pod lift module (the pod lift module get its power from pin 2). Pin 5 is a 'up signal' input that also happens to be a convenient point (to Lotus anyway) to also connect the 'up signal' input to pod lift module at pin A (of 5).

Pin 4 of the pod lift module is the 'down signal' output.

Well, at least that's how I'm reading the wiring diagram :)

Ta.

Unfortunately I'm at work, so haven't got the wiring diagram to have a look (note to self, must rectify that1).

If I get time, I'll have a look when I get home, to see if I can then work out the logic in my head. If I can get the bloke down the road to lend me his pod delay module for a few minutes, then it would at least prove whether it's working or not. I'd really like to know what's inside that pod delay module, it would make things soooo much easier to understand.

Do you think this is purely a 'power-on, power-off' operation? I think so, because I can't see any changes in polarity in the circuitry for the pod lifting.

Margate Exotics.

I believe the pod delay module is a simply a changeover relay with a timer to ensure the headlights remain up for a minimum time. Expect to find a transistor or two in there for switching and a RC circuit for the timer.

The pod lift module simply connects power and ground one way through the pod motors to lift and reverses them to lower depending on inputs on pins A and C (of 5). I am not sure if the pod lift module time limits these outputs to the pod motors or if the motors have circuit break switches in them at the limits of their travel in a similar way to windscreen wiper motors.

Looking at a disassembly of a Corvette C4 lift motor (basically the same except the mounting lugs are slightly different from what I've read) there are no circuit break switches in them. The pod lift module senses the current rise when the headlamps are at the end of their travel and cuts the power.

None of my research seems to indicate any switches, either. Looking at photos of the inside of the lift module, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a current-sensing device. Looks like they were fitted to the Pontiac Fiero, and the C5 Corvette, too. It also seems that they can be overhauled, which is nice!

Margate Exotics.

Looking again at the wiring diagram, and considering the logic, there are two ways to raise the pods, firstly by pressing the headlamp switch, and secondly by pulling the main beam stalk.

From my measurements, there is power to terminal 4 on the delay relay, which also means power to terminal 'C' on the lift module. That is the 'down' signal to the pod module. The pod stays closed.

1. When the switch is pressed, power is sent to terminal 5 on the delay module from the switch (blue/brown wire, 1 amp diode in the circuit). That sends power to terminal 'A' (lift signal) on the pod lift module (and this is where I'm unclear), the delay relay cuts power to terminal 4 on the pod delay module which cuts power to terminal 'C' (the 'down' signal). Thus the pods lift.

2. When the dip stalk is pulled, main beam relay switches power from terminal 30 to terminal 87. Power then goes to terminal 3 on the delay relay. I am then assuming (because I really don't know what's inside the delay module) that power then goes to terminal 'A' (lift signal) on the pod lift module, and is prevented from feeding back by the aforementioned 1 amp diode in the circuit.

The pods lift when the switch is pressed because terminal 'A' on the lift module is connected to terminal 5 on the delay module, and power comes via the switch.

When the main beam stalk is pulled, the pods don't lift because the delay module is defective, and does not supply power to the terminal 'A' up signal .

That's this morning's theory, anyway.

Margate Exotics.

When you flash (with the master light switch off) the dip/main beam stalk receives its power via fuse 14, this also means power gets routed 'backwards' through the switch to pin 5 of the pod delay module.

Edited by sailorbob

As suspected, it's the pod delay unit that's the problem. I swopped it with the one from my new best mate's GT3, and it worked a treat. I've now ordered a new one.

Thanks to Derek, Travis, Sparky, and anyone else who ventured information, I'm much obliged, gentlemen.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Not yet Derek, I'm having several large gin & tonics with ice and lime by way of a celebration first.

Plus, it's a sealed unit, looks like some kind of resin or silicone around the base. I'm still wondering about the voltage signal paths to the lift module, but there you go.

Margate Exotics.

I'm still intrigued as to how the circuitry works in the pod lift sequence at terminals A, B of the lift module, so I shall take some more voltage and polarity readings when the new pod delay module arrives. I will also see if I can get inside the old delay relay, but I wonder if it's a generic part, maybe off the Fiero or Corvette again, and there might be an operating diagram for it somewhere.

Yes, I know, I am a pedantic old bugger.

Margate Exotics.

While your head is still in this can I pick your brain? On the odd occasion I have one pod that stays up after the lights have been turned off, I have to put it back down with the manual winder and then it returns to normal. Any ideas where I should start with that? because it's really annoying.

If one headlamp pod stays up then I would suspect excessive resistance to movement in the affected headlamp pod which causes an increase in the current drawn by the motor resulting in the pod lift module cutting power. The cause could be stiff hinges, misalignment of mechanism due to wear/damage or the motor itself could be worn internally. The other cause can be the pod lift module failing.

• Like 1