free hit
counters
Difficulty engaging gears, help please. - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Difficulty engaging gears, help please.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting topic this, but just a thought........

However good the components are, however well you lubricate the key is following the correct adjustment methods. I still have issues with a slightly stiff, careful, gear shift. I have heard discussions regarding which side the translator is fitted, it would be worth checking.

Take your time and get it right.

Have fun.

• Gold FFM

The major issue is that it's an arse-ache, so people (justifiably) get it to 95% and accept it.  Also, the Lotus spec rarely makes things perfect, and needs a tweak on many cars.

I've toyed with the idea of a turnbuckle, but there's precious little room for that.  Best is to engage the help of an assistant - it's so much easier if someone is stationed at the gearstick.

I recently got Trev to try out some quick-release rose joints to allow swift adjustment, and they worked really well! 

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Well, I've looked on the Midwestcontrol link (thanks Sanj) and have found these

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=1916(I prefer this as it has a booted joint which is filled with a lubricant)

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=2430

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php?id=145 (Gary, are these the QR ones which Trev used? How do you intent to keep the joint "clean")

I obviously need to compare lengths to original before I go any further, unless someone has already fitted any of these.

Thanks

Glyn

• Gold FFM

That looks like them. We were dubious, but they were rock solid in situ.

I don't like them with rubber covers - in my experience they allow water ingress and hold it in there. I prefer to just grease them periodically.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

That looks like them. We were dubious, but they were rock solid in situ.

I don't like them with rubber covers - in my experience they allow water ingress and hold it in there. I prefer to just grease them periodically.

And I guess that as they are quick release it is easier to clean the grit out of the joint....

I used the second one. The male shank was a bit short, so I dispensed with the washer under the nut. I'd be leery of the quick-disconnect one.

Thanks

mmmm the 1st link has a slightly longer shank too.....

Hi Glyn, long time no speak, how's it going?

BTW, That's where I used to buy my rod ends from and never had a single problem or anyone send them back.

Hi Dave and thanks.

Yes it's been a while what with being a new dad again and a teacher with no time for anything else I'm trying to fit in a few hours here and there. What I should really do is pay someone to do the work but as the engine is stripped it would cost more than I could allow.

Hoping to spend some time shivering in the garage at Christmas!!

Hope you're all ok too. Hopefully meet up again in the next year!!