free hit
counters
1984 Esprit S3 - How do you maintain the cooling system? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

1984 Esprit S3 - How do you maintain the cooling system?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a sealed system if you are loosing water check you have a 15lb cap on the expansion tank, when cool the tank will be about half full.

It is a sealed system if you are loosing water check you have a 15lb cap on the expansion tank, when cool the tank will be about half full.

Just make sure that the engine is cold when you take the cap off the expansion/header tank.

I have read that it is oil, not water cooled, what do you top it up with and where?

No it's water cooled, the expansion tank is at the back of the engine bay, right hand side. Make sure it's cool when you remove the filler cap.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

The turbo is oil cooled, perhaps that's what you've read/been told. That uses oil from the engine so as long as that's topped up your turbo cooling will be ok. :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It all depends....there is a works modification which changes the coolant circuit and adds a proper expansion tank to the system. This is a plastic tank fitted to the RH wheel arch, and connects to the overflow from the cylindrical steel tank in the engine bay. The pressure cap is on the plastic tank, and the original steel tank has just a blanking cap. It makes quite a difference to the cooling, too; seems much more consistent. I bought the conversion kit in one of the works parts sales...there is a thread on here about it, somewhere...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

I check the coolant level in my S3 once a month but I rarely top it up (once every two years). The coolant reservoir should be no more than half full or the excess will be ejected when the coolant expands.

My BMW E36 needs more topping up!

Been there, you top it up, it ends up in the driveway. Half full is where mine is happy but then again it's a turbo. Topping it up is one thing but make sure the stuff is not ten years old...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!