free hit
counters
air intake and air flow to cool engine - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

air intake and air flow to cool engine

I have a major issue with engine bay temps, any ideas how to get more air flow? I was thinking of moving the ears out wider or possibly doing something with the engine bay side windows? any one made them pivot? or at worst may have to put some fans in. Rob
Edited by V8-ESPRITS3
  • Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a major issue with engine bay temps, any ideas how to get more air flow? I was thinking of moving the ears out wider or possibly doing something with the engine bay side windows? any one made t

Well, you could do both. Use the front of the ears as a passive ram air intake, coupled with inline fans for the rear exits of the ears. As to a pic - its a bit difficult as its situated on top of t

I fitted two bilge fans on the left above the tank and 3x 6.5" SPAL fans into the engine cover. See here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?tab=mods&am

I installed an in line fan as a 'suck out' on the left ear, mainly to keep cooler when stationary. Its operated by a thermal switch in the bay.

Loud though.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I installed an in line fan as a 'suck out' on the left ear, mainly to keep cooler when stationary. Its operated by a thermal switch in the bay.

Loud though.

any pics? loud wont bother me I doubt I would hear it with the din the v8 makes behind me!

You might need louvres!

Buddsy

that would hide the engine and I like seeing it, any one run with the rear hatch open? did think of making a spacer to have it open when driving

Simon's "in line fan" has merit. It's the way potential petrol fumes are removed from the enclosed engine bay of my boat, but it likely helps to dissipate heat buildup as well. I don't know the original configuration of the ears' airflow tubes on the S3 (they are routed to the air filters on the V8, and thence to the turbos), but with your new layout (direct intake from the exposed air filter), it appears that your tubes are now available for whatever you desire...can't really tell from the photos if they're just "hanging" at the moment. If you can find and install the correct diameter in line fan in the tubes, it might provide a solution...assuming you can come up with a suitable "aiming" strategy. Don't know if the fans could overcome the ram air effect of the ears at speed (Simon has indicated that his setup is intended for stationary situations), if you chose to "reverse flow" the ears. Might be better to aim the tubes straight down, to create a "vacuum" of sorts in the engine bay, and let ambient pressures "refill" the bay. On the other hand, the V8's manual actually shows the airflow as exiting the hatch louvres (which you apparently don't have), even though they visually look like intakes at first glance. But the ambient air "pickup" (independent of the tubes) is actually from below the engine, not the ears, the reverse of what I am suggesting for your configuration.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

that would hide the engine and I like seeing it, any one run with the rear hatch open? did think of making a spacer to have it open when driving

How about clear louvres as an idea? I thought about doing this years ago when I was looking at an NA and traded a lot of emails with another member on here, Silverfrost (Dany). Found his owners page on LEW and you can see what he did. Looks quite good IMO.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/DannyKane.html

Interesting link, Mark. Totally off the subject, but Danny's wheels definitely got my attention, as I also own an M Coupe, with the BMW "star" wheels...never ever thought I'd see them on a Lotus. Who knew? :D 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Well, you could do both.

Use the front of the ears as a passive ram air intake, coupled with inline fans for the rear exits of the ears.

As to a pic - its a bit difficult as its situated on top of the fuel tank board, but essentially, I used one of these. As John indicates - this is actually a marine bilge fan- around 130cfm or thereabouts

mSLq1mL19rIESl5n8mnKoBw.jpg

Mounted on rubber feet on the board so as to reduce the vibration/resonance. Its a 3" diameter, so the new ducting just slides over and is held by a small barb and a cable tie on each side. Mine is fed by a dedicated live from the battery so it could run on and continue cooling after I take out the ignition key. This however has the disadvantage that in the event of an engine bay fire, it would not be possible to deactive it. 

I used a KenLowe thermal switch in the bay that can be set at whatever temp seems right - mine comes on shortly after the radiator fans get tripped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenlowe-Adjustable-Electronic-Thermostat-For-Kenlowe-Fans-/300970276038?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&var=&hash=item461339f4c6

• Like 1

at the risk of granny and sucking eggs.  Always remove the hot air not blow in cool air. the lower pressure of extraction will always be replaced.

thanks guys, plenty of ideas for me to work with, would love a clear rear louvre and I have spoken to danny some time ago and he had some old guy make it, it was if I remember a total one off. He no longer has it now.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted two bilge fans on the left above the tank and 3x 6.5" SPAL fans into the engine cover.

See here:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?tab=mods&mod_id=1573

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 1
yes I am looking into this now, have taken one of the ears off to see how they work.
I am planning on making them a little bigger (more spaced out from the body to scoop more air in.)
I also have had a look at some spare computer fans I had but they just don't flow enough air. So I think bilge fans are the way to go.
I have also been looking into making a clear louvre and have an idea of using the open and close mechanism frame from a green house louvre I could then open and close it with a cable?

does this work at ambient air temps? or does it have to be fitted into a rad hose? thanks

I think its meant to be fitted inside somethingbut mineis just attached to the inside of the engine bay wall and works just fine

Well, you could do both.

Use the front of the ears as a passive ram air intake, coupled with inline fans for the rear exits of the ears.

As to a pic - its a bit difficult as its situated on top of the fuel tank board, but essentially, I used one of these. As John indicates - this is actually a marine bilge fan- around 130cfm or thereabouts

mSLq1mL19rIESl5n8mnKoBw.jpg

Mounted on rubber feet on the board so as to reduce the vibration/resonance. Its a 3" diameter, so the new ducting just slides over and is held by a small barb and a cable tie on each side. Mine is fed by a dedicated live from the battery so it could run on and continue cooling after I take out the ignition key. This however has the disadvantage that in the event of an engine bay fire, it would not be possible to deactive it. 

I used a KenLowe thermal switch in the bay that can be set at whatever temp seems right - mine comes on shortly after the radiator fans get tripped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenlowe-Adjustable-Electronic-Thermostat-For-Kenlowe-Fans-/300970276038?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&var=&hash=item461339f4c6

I have had a look at some for sale on ebay Seaflo 4" will do 270cfm. I was thinking of using 2, one on each side. They do sell the 3" 130 cfm version but for an extra £5 the 4" version is double the air flow? 

I think its meant to be fitted inside somethingbut mineis just attached to the inside of the engine bay wall and works just fine

that is handy just the job

I fitted two bilge fans on the left above the tank and 3x 6.5" SPAL fans into the engine cover.

See here:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?tab=mods&mod_id=1573

yes I like it, but I am not going to use an engine cover but do like the idea of having some extra fans. I may fit one each side of the engine.

at the risk of granny and sucking eggs.  Always remove the hot air not blow in cool air. the lower pressure of extraction will always be replaced.

I was thinking/planning of having a louvre instead of the glass window, the idea being the hot air would rise and escape and use the fans to supply cold air into the engine bay

Did I mention they are noisy?

you did, I will take out the exhaust baffles!

• Gold FFM

I have twin fans on mind built into the ducts. They come on with the fan over-ride switch I have (with the front fans) but also work separately for 15 minutes via another switch - so I can try and reduce the heat in the engine bay after a drive so it starts more easily when hot. I would start with the fans and ears and see how you do and then go louvred as well if needed (as this will be more of a job) - also the rear glass of an S3 is pretty sought after and difficult to remove from the hatch without breaking (as far as I know)... 

I have brought x4 8 inch fans, will maybe fit x2 each side of the engine? Also some Polycarbonate sheet to make the louvre, and have also removed one ear to look into how it works and to make it flow better? Most likely going to space it out from the body about 30 - 40mm. Rain and work has been stopping play! Also taking the car to Shelsley walsh hillclimb on Sunday for the retro rides gathering. Shame the weather looks crap again! 

How about a roof scoop in addition to the ears for additional air inlet?

yes I have looked into that the top of the hatch has plenty of room but it is double skinned and I don't know how much stress loading is put onto that area? I don't want to risk stress cracks so not willing to chop into that part of body at the moment. I will try the fans and ears to start with, I also want to rework the fibre glass engine bay surround maybe in alloy sheet and I need some extra heat shielding. The problem is not enough air flow and the heat from the exhaust needs to be addressed by some better air flow and heat shielding. The fibre glass insulates the heat but also keeps it trapped in the engine bay.
I think I also need a much bigger radiator so will also look into getting it re-cored and made longer as well.

I think the Gt race car had a roof scoop that fed a intercooler. Basically a naca duct

You can see it here http://www.lotusespritgt1.co.uk/News/40thCel.html

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"