free hit
counters
foot operated lever next to clutch pedal? - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
V8-ESPRITS3

foot operated lever next to clutch pedal?

speed yes and the stats have the speed just thought it was interesting reading after all its all just a bit of fun is it not? going by the spec sheet mine should have similar power between the GT3 and the V8 turbo? would be nice to do a drag race one day and compare? I think I will need to do some work on the gearbox.......

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I asked the engineer who designed and created the 2Eleven what he thought of Ronin's 700+ bhp version of his car not so long ago and all he could say was 'He doesn't really get Lotus, does he?'.

As per the Chapman quote above, most people buy a Lotus for certain reasons and 0-60 times are rarely that reason.

All too many discussions like this popping up of late.  There are those, like me, who own a Lotus because it's a Lotus.  Others just want a fast car.  There's little value in arguing it because 2 different languages are being spoken.

I love my Lotus, with its original engine.  I especially enjoy people in M3s and fast Fords or whatever wanting to race me, because then I've already won.

I asked the engineer who designed and created the 2Eleven what he thought of Ronin's 700+ bhp version of his car not so long ago and all he could say was 'He doesn't really get Lotus, does he?'.

As per the Chapman quote above, most people buy a Lotus for certain reasons and 0-60 times are rarely that reason.

indeed, and people who modify cars don't care what the original manufacture done. Good or bad we change them to what we want them to be. I brought the Esprit because I like the body style regardless of who made it? if it was a Kia would have made no difference would have done just the same.

Your car mate, do want you want to it if it makes you happy.

Just don't think less of people who keep them standard, each to their own. :)

TVR modded the Rover engine to produce those figures (occasionally) so are in no way indicative of standard engines. It must be noted that you are comparing an engine from a car ten years newer than the one you seem to dismiss. But for what it's worth, the conversion you are doing is well trodden path (I stuck a warmed over 3.9 in an S1 over twenty years ago and still have the kit lying around somewhere) and is usually successful as long as you're not too greedy on what you expect the gearbox, driveshafts and standard cooling system to cope with.

As an aside, I've yet to meet a factory standard Rover V8 powered TVR which is quicker in any respect than factory standard Esprit V8 on the road or track. They are embarrassingly slow, cumbersome and low tech compared with a V8 Esprit.

Ok this has gone way off topic!

Back to the lever!

Had a good look just now and followed the cable to a switch? the switch had a wire going to a speaker? WTF?

So anyway pushed the lever and to my surprise a voice said out the speaker " Sorry sir that wont make it go any faster! you should have brought a TVR!" now that's fookin funny!...............enjoy.

Or you could just take note that many on this forum do know what they're talking about. If they offer advice or even a critique of your work and ideas for the future it could be because they have been there, done that and have the potential to save you time, money and heartache.

Or you could just cover your eyes and ears and carry on convinced that any criticism is because no one likes your project.

There's "criticism," and then there's "constructive criticism." 

A fine line, sometimes drawn in the sand.

I think a lot of things said on here get misunderstood by both sides.
Should I be hen pecked and say Oh my god what have I done I should never of changed the Esprit, I should have spent thousands of pounds making it just like it was when it was new? then been disappointed with it and sold it, just like the 20 former keepers it had! If people add comments to my post pushing my buttons with joke mocking what I have done I will push buttons back! I love some of the Lotus cars and some I would never change a thing just like many of you. If some of you have ruffled feathers again because of my comments then that's too bad. I can not walk on egg shells. I know many people on here like my car and what I have done to it, and some may like some of the things and really hate other things. I may have got this all wrong and don't want to start all over again? I thought my attitude had changed enough to just fit in?

I'll give an unsolicited opinion here:   I think a V8 conversion on an Esprit is a stupid idea.  Just buy an Esprit V8 if you want an Esprit with a V8.  Any conversion done by someone in their shed won't be as well-engineered . . . won't be as usable or refined, and probably not as fast . . .  and definitely not as reliable.   And you'll probably end up spending the same money in the end.  And spending an awful lot of time.  And it ultimately devalues the car for resale because, even if you blueprint and diagram all of the work (which very few people do in any effective, organized way), nobody except the seller really knows the car or how it's put together.  Everything in the factory workshop manual, all the known procedures, methods and precautions, go out the window in exchange for unknowns.  Nobody wants a car that someone else has extensively modified -- especially an exotic.

With that said, have fun with your car.  Who cares -- it's just a car.  I'm sure you've done a lot of cool things to it.  :)

Maybe for your next project, you can take a 2-liter Porsche 924 from 1979, install a 2.5 from a 944, and add a turbo to it!!!!!   :P

"I think a lot of things said on here get misunderstood by both sides."

Indeed, Rob. It's the nature of the beast with any online discussion. The good news is that it's usually "self correcting," given enough time and sufficient "give and take" postings.

"I thought my attitude had changed enough to just fit in?"

Rest assured, it has, though I (and likely many others) never found it particularly objectionable to begin with. Spirited debate is the lifeblood of any serious (or not so serious for that matter) deliberation on any complex topic.

ok so all buddies again?

now really back to the lever.........easy tiger!

is it confirmed it is something to do with the throttle?

Stick your head in the footwell and use a torch to highlight the upper pedal box area. Operate the throttle pedal and watch the lever mimic the pedal's action.

This may hurt your back.

Maybe for your next project, you can take a 2-liter Porsche 924 from 1979, install a 2.5 from a 944, and add a turbo to it!!!!!   :P

My next project is using a Jaguar 4.0 V8 Sugercharged engine into my transit, mid engine and using all the XJR running gear.

All ready stripped the jag and have all the bits in the garage waiting. Would really like a MK1 transit.......

Stick your head in the footwell and use a torch to highlight the upper pedal box area. Operate the throttle pedal and watch the lever mimic the pedal's action.

This may hurt your back.

ok great so this thread is done now we know at last! still the next bloke that finds the lever and wonders what the heck? may have fun reading this. or not!

Hurt his back? This is a man who single handedly lifted an engine from the bay with one arm. 

But it took both to put the V8 in. :D 

• Like 1

I wasn't telling porkies, you know!

I wasn't telling porkies, you know!

Yes but if you look back it went way off topic! when John slipped in that epic gag!

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

FYI,

Parts manual page 74; 14.01A;

Sparky's words in pictures!