free hit
counters
355.... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

because for them Money is no object, rather the car.   Vanya, here we go   Cheers, Jacques.

Running costs vs appreciation, pain now and gain later?

Miura....good choice. If only I shat gold bars ....   I suspect I may trade in the Esprits for a '91 Diablo one day though...

Posted Images

A very good pal of mine and serial 911 GT3 owner bought one last year but sold it within 2 months. Made the most beautiful noise but he said the dynamics of the car really showed their age. Prices are heading north rapidly though! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I believe one of our seasoned forum members has owned one and referred to it as "utter pants" :P - far from the only owner I've heard to say something along those lines...

But honestly I'm curious too. They look fantastic in the flesh and sound awesome....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

If i had one I think I would actually lick it, yup, on my knees stroking it and running my tongue all over it....

I recon they would taste awesome.... And I'd sniff the seats, and I'd rub my cheeks on the carpet.....

Every day I would do that, EVERY SINGLE DAY....!!!

Chunky Lover

How was your massage, unsatisfying?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If i had one I think I would actually lick it, yup, on my knees stroking it and running my tongue all over it....

I recon they would taste awesome.... And I'd sniff the seats, and I'd rub my cheeks on the carpet.....

I wonder if that's covered by insurance? 

Sure is a pretty car though, saw one today, melted, then started having impure thoughts.  :scared:  

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

best thing to do with one just don`t drive it

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Obvious thing I know but you will only regret it if it goes pop, and the 355 does occasionally. 348 is tough by comparison but lacks the 355's power steering and six speed box plus smoother lines. Don't believe the circa 380hp hype, I'd be surprised if you saw more than 340 and have seen 325 on some cars on a rolling road. No denying though that they are one of the best sounding Ferrari's of all time. Buy the right one after getting it inspected and doubt you will lose a penny although servicing will be fairly hefty.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

ferrari-458-italia-price.jpg

Happened to be in the vicinity of the local dealership this afternoon and saw (and most definitely heard!) one of these (spanking new 458 Italia) running through the gears at a rapid clip (is there any other way?). The sonorous "bark" was akin to that of an F1 engine, if not quite as ear splitting...just the right amount of amplitude. 

Am currently in the process of procuring a line of credit to be used for necessary home repairs/updates, and the amount (if approved) would just about put one of these in the driveway. I cannot begin to convey how tempting it would be to change my priorities, but I'm not sure the Mrs would be on board with that election. How to explain to her, for example, that you simply cannot drive a new kitchen? :construction: 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Yea I just cant get past looking and thinking "now it that a Toyota or a Ferrari?" I know they are meant to be quick but just think they are let down but the looks.

Buddsy 

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

...how much could I learn to regret that? 

Check the buyers guides, there are a lot of ruinous expenses that can occur with these cars. Dynamically I would take a Sport 350 any day over a 355 having driven both back to back. The only point were the S350 didn't win hands down was the noise, though the 355 did have a level 2 Capristi fitted and is probably still one of the best sounding F cars.

I was honestly left with the impression that once you took away the kudos of the Ferrari label it wasn't that special.

If you really want an F car then I would advise finding an extra 10k or so and have a look at F430s. Not without their own faults but far better overall. Have already seen a few in the 70k euro range that were really good and I may be heading for the dark side myself too.....

So plenty of sleepless nights...

I could be tempted by a 308/328 but prices are heading skywards, ( lots of POA's at the dealers now ), 355's are starting to look like bargains! Prices aren't that far off 430's but I was really thinking of more of a classic as opposed to more practical day to day ride and the 355 seems to be headed that way.

I've heard tales of big bills on the 355's, engine out to empty the ashtray etc. a little scary after so many years of easy Lotus ownership. I wonder if Fessa owners view Lotus ownership with the same amount of trepidation though? 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

My pal's car had a £3k bill each and every year, no matter the mileage.

The Ferrari Centre might have a few in and they're only in Maidstone or you've got Foskers at Brands Hatch. Avoid the auto box like the plague.

Evora NA

I like F355 and the prices are holding and climbing, as there are not that many. they use some alfa parts which are far cheaper than the Ferrari badged item ;)  The guy I know who has one does a lot of his own work on the car,

a local guy had a hartage???F360, that was lovely, and the F360 is supposidly when dancing Donkeys came of age.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

My pal's car had a £3k bill each and every year, no matter the mileage.

Hmmmm...... running costs vs depreciation, pain now or pain later! 

£3k a year's no fun though, I've just seen a car for sale with bills for £22k in the past 2 years, makes you wince! 

A classic really appeals though, plus I'm getting itchy driving gloves. There's something warm and cozy about having a car like the Evora that does the biz and doesn't threaten to bankrupt it's driver everytime you take it for a spin. The warranty's nice too... can't Lotus tempt me with something soon? 

Have a look for Forza-mag.com, they have buyers guides for most models that will cover all the key issues. I remember that the 355 had chocolate valve guides, fragile exhaust headers and rear buttress weld failures but was maintenance heavy due to the monoblock engine gearbox design.

At least with the F430 they have done away with the cambelts but have retained the dodgy exhaust headers.

Oh and some suspension parts are classed as 'consumables'...

F430.....

Hmmm..... Oh hello..... :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/430-coupe/beautiful-well-cared-for-low-mileage-example-ferrari-f430-manual-coupe/2366226

I know where there is a 355 parked up (possibly 348) parked up under a car cover in deepest darkest Portsmouth...

It's very red, and VERY rusty.....!

Didn't realise how prone to rusting these were until I started doing a search!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

I know you don't buy them for carrying stuff but the luggage space on that 430 makes the esprits boot look enormous.