free hit
counters
Exige V6 CUP startup problem - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige V6 CUP startup problem

Wanted to take a test drive yesterday to make sure the car is in good shape for Nordschleife trackday next week, but the car wouldn't start..

All dashboard lights turn on fine, but when I turned the key to start ignition, the battery power fell away (clock reset) and wasn't able to start. Tried jump starting it but no luck, probably because of poor jump wires or crappy battery connectors. So I called road service. After 2 hours they arrived, I try demonstrating the problem and the car just kicks off. :huh: Battery level seemed all fine when measuring. Thanked the service guy for his good aura and went for a long drive to make sure the battery would be kick-ass ready for next week.

Only reason why the battery could be low is because I moved the car forth and back to give it a wash the week before. So started twice on a short amount of time. Is this normal 'Lotus' battery behaviour? 

Anyway I'm glad this didn't occur early morning when wanting to leave for a trackday cause I'd go crazy. Next time when moving the car a few feet I'll let it run for a bit longer or make a decent drive.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the Cup have a lighter (weight-wise) Li-ion battery?

It is possible that by trying to start, the battery heated up a bit and more capacity became available.

To rule out a faulty starter motor, should the problem reoccur, put on the courtesy light whilst cranking: if it dims a lot then you prob have a weak battery. If not, the starter motor can be faulty.

Edited by Milton1

Not much courtesy anything!

they do drain the battery quicker than I'd have thought for something with no alarm or immobiliser. I have been caught out before and leave it on trickle charge the whole time now.

I'd love a lightweight battery for mine and hope to get one fitted at some point.

Fitted the lightweight batter. Itis worth getting althought not cheap and you should not have the same battery drain problem if no alarm/tracker fitted. Stored the 211 over the winter and never needed to trickle charge. Surprised not fitted as standard to the Cup considering the nature of the car and there is a fair bit of weight saving to be had too as the standard item weights a ton.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestions. Will inform about the lighter battery. Let's pray my car will start on Wednesday :wallbash: This time I made sure to disconnect the circuit..

As an aside to this, it's important not to use the electrical cut-off switch on the dash to turn the engine off.

You need to turn the car off with the key and them waiting for something like 20 seconds which gives the ECU time to finish up it's business and then you can isolate the electrics with the cut-off switch if you wish. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Re light weight battery mentions above, I have been looking into some aspects when putting one in my Elise S CR and yesterday posted under the heading "Notes from a small battery" on the Elise/Exige, interior/exterior etc. thread. Some points may be relevant, though I suspect a larger size might be needed for the V6.  Still much lighter than standard though - which was a Varta E43 weighing 17 Kg on my recent V6.

• 7 months later...

Sounds like something to do with the CAN bus. Been fiddling around in the engine bay or under the dash recently?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Try and charge the battery first, key off only with key not isolator switch.

You must read the supplementary notes regard starting, inc wiring diagrams etc, CAN link I think is under the dash, your handbook will explain,

Evora NA