free hit
counters
cant remove master cylinder, help please - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

cant remove master cylinder, help please

Im in the process of changing master and slave cylinders and clutch hose.I have disconnected the rod from the clutch pedel and revoved the two nuts holding the master to the bulkhead and the 15mm bolt on the bracket that attaches to the ABS unit. Though the master cylinder is now loose there seems to be no movement anywhere to pull it off the two studs that hold it to the bulkhead.It would appear that the master was fitted first then the ABS unit after is this right? So short of cutting the bracket out it would seem the only way is to remove the ABS unit.See attached ,any help please

post-17407-0-12097500-1406922247.jpg

post-17407-0-25644000-1406922290.jpg

post-17407-0-13395600-1406922336.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIU, you must unbolt the ABS unit/Brake portion which is keeping you from removing it.

Mine is in the shop having just that done now (clutch master and slave). 

Prior owner had the master replaced BUT the mechanic who did the work somehow got the clutch master out with out doing that. Then when they put the clutch master back it was on top of the brackets you have in your photo. That additional distance made the clutch for a long time not able to disengage 100% because of reduced rod travel. Adjustments helped but not resolved... 

Edited by 60N4.7

Thanks very much for the reply.I decided to cut the bracket in half while in situ then made two plates to rejoin it which could be done after refitting the master.I put the first half on to the two studs on top of the master as it was before then refitted the other half to that with the two plates.A little unconventional I grant you but aside from the addition of the two jointing plates it's all as before.I may fit another bracket if for any reason the ABS unit has to be removed in the future.Now it's time to bleed the system.