free hit
counters
Connection issues? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Connection issues?

• Gold FFM

Tried to connect the car up to the laptop yesterday, but no dice. But I can't work out if it's the laptop, or the lead. The lead (has a jack plug connector in line) did come from Nige, a member here, so I'm guessing it was working when he had it.

The laptop is an old one, Toshiba SP6000, running XP, and has only ever been used for engine diagnostics using a port other than the USB connection. Although Espritmon and Freescan programmes load up ok, it doesn't seem to want to connect to either.

Anyone in my area got a cable or laptop that I can try, before I rush out and buy new ones?

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Progress report: After updating the laptop USB drivers I managed to get a connection to Espritmon via the boot plug. Freescan didn't want to work though, as I couldn't get it to see the COM6 port.

The two plugs under the glove box, one marked as alarm, wouldn't connect. I've ordered an 3.5mm extension lead so I can run it through the seatbelt slot, with the laptop on the passenger seat. I might put a couple of photos up of the plugs if I get time.

As Espritmon seems to be the better programme, it now remains to read the instructions, have another play, and work out how to save a file for examination by someone who actually knows what they're doing! Probably won't have time for that until next weekend, though.

Margate Exotics.

It's much further from the ECU, not uncommon for it not to work. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The passenger footwell plug on my car is also a bit off compared to the boot one - the wires on the back aren't too robust and need to be redone. Try wiggling them around and see if it connects sporadically after that, then you'll have your answer.

Did you find the plug dangling loosely or was it plugged into its "holder" down there?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

It was plugged into a black plastic socket that is bolted to the back of the glove box, from what I could see, anyway. That's what made it so difficult to locate because purely by feel, it felt like it was plugged into something substantial, rather than simply loosely hanging down like the other diagnostic plug in the boot. The alarm plug also has a black cover, taped on the loom next to it.

The wires look to be robust enough, though. But as Bibs suggested, people can sometimes have problems with those plugs.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thank you for the plug picture Travis, but I can't see it too clearly at all. Also, my car is an S4s, with the revised wiring loom. Given some of the comments about the original fitting of the wiring loom, I'm wondering if I'm actually looking in the wrong place for the plug, it's probably under the driver's side!

Margate Exotics.

Forward facing camera on your phone and a torch?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Tried that, mixed results. Well, shit results, actually!

The other thing is that the cable cam might be useful for poking into other inaccessible areas. Looking at the condition of your nuts, for example. I'm not as supple as I used to be, and it might help that.

Margate Exotics.