free hit
counters
I am so frustrated ..... - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I am so frustrated .....

Harald/Austria

So i get the Alternator out yesterday, it was died. I think the Guy work on my Car overtighten the positive Terminal because i could  turn the  big  Connection Pin  around.  I Friend will check me a new one while i am in Brand Hatch, his Buddy works at a Bosch Service Station.

Couldnt leave my Black Beauty without a good engine Cleaning....

Hope to see some of your Guys at the Lotus festival

So i have to look after the Jag for the 1000Mile Trip.... one Way

post-17146-0-33868900-1407785391.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I, too have revived dead batteries...even going to the extent of draining the electrolyte and filling the cells with a hot solution of epsom salts.....my father swore they used to do this in WW2...then draining again and refilling with the electrolyte. The idea was to remove the sulphate from the cells.....!!  I've had variable results....sometimes, as has been said, accumulators can be saved...other times they simply die. Most authorities agree that anything much below 10 volts and the battery has to be replaced. Trying to do testing with what has to be considered (at the best!) a suspect battery, didn't seem to be a good idea; hence my recommendation.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

So i get the Alternator out yesterday, it was died. I think the Guy work on my Car overtighten the positive Terminal because i could  turn the  big  Connection Pin  around.  I Friend will check me a new one while i am in Brand Hatch, his Buddy works at a Bosch Service Station.

Couldnt leave my Black Beauty without a good engine Cleaning....

Hope to see some of your Guys at the Lotus festival

So i have to look after the Jag for the 1000Mile Trip.... one Way

Engine looks great.  When I had my SE, I found that I could get the braided white covering cleaned with upholstery cleaner and rinsed off with water.  You can put a plastic cover (like a garbage bag) around the engine so when you are rinsing with water you don't get anything else wet.

When that braided cloth is sparkling clean, it really makes the engine bay look new.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo: I get me a Alternator from a BMW 324 Diesel , use my old Alternatorcase , and put it all together 

and.......  got Charge!  :thumbsup:

BUT:  I let the Engine warm up for obout 30 Minutes in the Yard check all Gauges , have nice Oilpressure, the Watertemperature 

was fine also and the Fans work as the should. So after 5 Months Ownership i cant wait anymore and want to drive my now well working Esprit for the first Time...

I take the License Plates from my Daily Driver to the Lotus  and drove away. (illegal  -_- )

After i leave town i rev the Engine to 6000rpm and then  : A big bam and i cant see anymore because the whole engine Bay and the Rear windows include Quarterwindows was fully sprayed with a Anti Freeze/Water mix.... :ouch: (i leave the Engine Cover in the Garage)

I drive to the side open the rear Hatch - and let the Esprit smoke out.  My Wife comes with a Can of Water but as i fill it to the Expension Tank it comes out on the Underside of the Car.  We tow the Esprit back to the Garage and i store her again.... Slowly i get the Feeling the Lotus dont want me as his owner..... :wallbash:

Greetings

Harald

Best warning system ever having the engine cover off, imagine if you didn't notice the temp sky rocketing! Engine saved!

Sounds like a cooling hose split or came off the pump by the fact it sprayed all over the back window. Bugger to replace, you'll get to imprint 'Lotus' and several sharp scratches on your chest laying over the engine :( tip: lay a towel over the engine :)

• Like 1

Don't give up just yet, a cooling leak is a pretty easy thing to fix. I appreciate it frustrating, but its the joys of an aging car. Fix the problems as they come up and one day there won't be any more and you'll be bored! Or so I'm told, hasn't happened to me yet = )

You are totally right Iain,

the big hose on the backside of the Waterpump explode

I try for hours today to replace it but can only get one side on.

Right now it looks to me that i have to take off the Waterpump to

get the other Side of the Hose on....

This happened to me. The fog that I saw through the rear view mirror scared me to death! It is replaceable without taking the pump off. I didn't buy mine from lotus but bought some of the correct diameter from Gates and cut it to length. I too needed councilling afterwards!

VICTORY!

After almost 6 Hours working , Scratches on both Arms and

a Chest who hurts from staying on the Chargecooler

for Hours i finally replace the blown Hose.

Looks like everything is fine.

Is there a special Bleeding Procedure for the Esprit?

Kind Regards

Harald

Good afternoon,

i mean i read somewhere that after a refill of the Colling System at theTurbo Esprit there is a bleeding srew (on top of the radiator?)

to get all the Air out , but i am not sgure if i remember that right.

At all i am badly disappoint from the Work i get for my Money at the Mechanic who get his Hands on my Esprit.

The Point is after he called me that my Car need a Waterpump too i ordered one and i orderd all the Hoses who leads to the Pump too and brought them to him.

This Saturday after i locate the blown Hose i check  the Box with my old Parts i get back with the Car  from the "Mechanic" 

and was thinking what i should keep and what not what did i see in the Box? The brandnew Hoses i gave to him with the Order to replace them when Engine is out roo with the new Pump.

However i learn my Lesson and my Esprit will never leave my Garage for repairs again. Only what you do by yourself is quality work and a big Bill dont mwans you are on the safe side.

Cheers

Harald

So your mechanic didn't install ANY of the new hoses you brought him? Or just the one? 

Man I would be bloody pissed off if my mechanic did that!

Brian M.

Auto mechanic malpractice was/is/will be rampant around the world.  They still bill for their mistakes, and it's such a pain to get any money back, and if they did a crap job, do you really want them to keep working on your car?  They know that that, so they will continue to get away with it.

Your only solution is to either learn to do your own work, or just lease/buy new, reliable cars that you can afford.