free hit
counters
Converting fuel filler cap Éclat vs. Elite? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Converting fuel filler cap Éclat vs. Elite?

Does anybody have transformed his fuel filler cap from the Éclat to the Elite one, especially a S2?

What is all involved?

I am curious about the special look of the chrome racing style cap... B-)

Edited by Don.Hasi

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The filler caps are the one thing on the Elite that look dreadfully old fashioned IMHO,

If anything I would be trying to convert the sleek spin on cap of the Eclat to the Elite!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yes, with all the bling bling from the ss outer rails in conjunction with a chrome wiper I think this should fit, especially on a cool :smoke: black car ;)

On an Excel it would not suit the time

So, does anybody have close up pictures of them on an Elite?

Edited by Don.Hasi

• 2 weeks later...

For converting to the Elite version it seems to me, that I have to change the filler neck which should come with a mechanism/holder for the cap

Attached you will find some simulations… I am not convinced seeing both solutions. The Monza system looks not that bad, but still not right. It was developed for the Elite and looks on it pretty cool. The Eclat has the more simple filler cap with the non lock variant in first step. This is, what looks wrong on the Eclat… the higher key lock with the bar in the middle. On the Excel it looks fine for me…

My Car could deserve some more blingbling with this dark contrasting color. Okay… beside some more proper paint ;)

Just a few days ago, there was an auction with a chrome filler in the shape of the key cap: But I didn´t know whether it will fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291209100758?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

post-2-0-80187900-1408370452.jpg

post-2-0-60386400-1408370433.jpgpost-2-0-88840600-1408370442.jpg

• Like 1

You could always get rid of the bar/lock thing which is ugly, and just fit a flush unlocked body colour cap from the s1 Esprit/Eclat. Paint it chrome if you wish

SJ079L0001.jpg?mod=10

The angle of the filler neck inside the Eclat is so different from the Elite you would probably have to remake it all the way from the tank to fit the Elite hinged collar

The prototype, called Elite Coupe, has had the same filler cap like the Elite.

Lotus_Eclat_M50_Prototype.jpg

If I look in the neck I could see some kind of pipe at the top, a breather pipe I think? Later on goes the steel pipe in direction to the tank. I would have guessed, that there are only the filler neck and the flexible tube involved?

Mark, why do you think there should be more parts changed? Do you have had the parts in your hands for comparison back in the days?

I have some spare Elite hinged necks, but he Eclat is now gone. I may be wrong but the eclat pipe seemed at a more acute angle.

Not to say a piece of flexible rubber hose might join the two....

• 4 months later...

@Mat: are there any differences between S1 and S2? I thought it was only one item?

@all: do we have a common size at the top end of the filler neck which allows to put any other filler cap on it? Was there a donor car/system? What diaemeter do we need for a lockable solution?