free hit
counters
Tuned - Page 15 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lied.....    

It was my first time back in the saddle last night since the surgery and the first time at speed in over a year... The changed gear ratios are spot on and the car is just fuckin mental fast...   

Happens to the best of us, Frank.

Posted Images

As I said I'll be playing with diffuser height as well as upward angle since it's forward mounting is with a piano hinge and adjustable upright suports in the rear...

I found some great reading here....http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/diffuser.html

I'll be supporting the diffuser much like this GT3 Lotus pic I just found. Have a look at it's side skirts, try putting a jack under that...it's air jacks better not fail..

post-8085-0-83586600-1358098499.jpg

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Guest surferphil

You can see the reinforcement on the diffuser between the struts, gives some idea of the downward pull this will have on the car.

I have been reading these books (just the bits I'm interested in so far, they are pretty good reference to understand how and why, but not easy to read unless you are a genius (sadly not) or maths geek (gladly not).

Aerodynamics.jpg

I've read Simon's book .... I can only look at the pretty pics, everything else eats my brain.

The naca ducts give a great deal of ridgity to the diffuser center section due to their design along with the epoxy and rivets. :turned:

I'd like to add my voice to the chap on the Zoo who suggested that you take a mould from the finished body. The shape you have achieved is impressive, and it would be a crying shame for it to perish under the onslaught of some incompetent PorschePilot. You could even go into bodyshell production...(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'd like to add my voice to the chap on the Zoo who suggested that you take a mould from the finished body. The shape you have achieved is impressive, and it would be a crying shame for it to perish under the onslaught of some incompetent PorschePilot. You could even go into bodyshell production...(!)

Thanks but just the thought of more carbon fiber bodywork makes me itch. You have to consider the fact that my only working knowlage of composits is from building surfboards in 1968.  My buddy Mike and I have to stop from time to time and take a good look at what we've done with a few bits of wavey 211 body panels. :smoke:

This whole project is design on the fly, to take function and try and make it look cool is just pure luck.

The best part about this project is that at no time was anything drawn out on paper, no computer just random thought a bucket of resin, expanding foam and a hand sander...

Mike hates it when I get into the shop and say, dude wait a minute I was thinking about this on the drive to the shop.

There will be no molds and to be honest I don't think there are any other guys out there crazy enough to buy them...

My tuner buddy Mitch Pederson was out to the shop to take measurements for the new wiring harness yesterday so it's getting just a bit closer to the end.....

Edited by ronin

• 2 weeks later...

Guess you seen this before? A bit like your project but a bit more old fashioned...and not a powerful as your beast to come.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

That car was painted at the same shop that did my grey paint, in person it's just a very expensive kit car..

It's down to the details now. Here are the lower front mount heatexchangers for the charge cooler.

I added louvers to direct the airflow and protect the coolers fron road crap...

Also did a new crankcase air/oil seperator..

post-8085-0-51379200-1359313384.jpg

post-8085-0-09094400-1359313418.jpg

post-8085-0-02123800-1359313439.jpg

post-8085-0-64962600-1359313460.jpg

post-8085-0-27040700-1359313492.jpg

post-8085-0-94100100-1359313509.jpg

post-8085-0-49193600-1359313526.jpg

Edited by ronin

if you say 'heat-exchanger' ..you mean this box filled with metall ?

..something that gets heated up by the water circulating in the chargecooler system, and the heat is transported into the 'body' of this construction, and just 'radiates' on the flat outside of the aluminium-can (as we all know alumiunium is good on that)

-so in fact ..you don't have two separated normal radiators, who exchange the head -one on the intake of the engine and one [two] in front of the car  ..it is just done with the DIY 'hot can' :D   ..strange thing, but cool  in both ways of the word

wouldn't it be better than to have fins/rips on the outside of this can as well, so not only maximising the inner surface area with the steel-wool ??

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

:getmecoat:

:hrhr:

..and I thought 

"how the hell can this go ?

-only way would be radiation, to have a cooling effect for the chargecooler-water" :detective:

Every time I log on I am always keen to see if there is an update to this thread, and I cant wait to see the car on the road, I almost feel a part of the team that is building it, although I would only be good for tea making and moral support. There is, however one question I have......are you married?

Twitter @radioRedwards

old farts mostly like young girls ...so Rick, are you 'good' enough to compete with those :D

right there, sometimes a wife would be happy to know that the husband is not in the pup, and instead of this is doing 'practical' things ..even if those for her own needs are worthless

We've been together since 1965, she knows me better than I know myself and has always understood my need for the mental side of things whether it was surfing, skiing, cars, sailing and cars again.... I'm one fuckin lucky mofo I gotta say..

Hey check out Toni's cook book and help out, it's for a good cause..

http://www.crowdrise.com/cookbookforurbanfarming/fundraiser/toniprofera

post-8085-0-89108200-1359427176.jpeg

Edited by ronin

not sure if it means that it is a compliment, but from the looks of it you have married her as the was a kid

-if you know her since 1965 !?

..she looks slightly younger than you, old men ;)     

Or is it the 'mental side of things' you suffered from

Edited by Günter

We met when I was 15 she was 14...... I think I was modifing a rock back then to see if I could get it to roll faster.. I forgot to add lightness back then.

post-8085-0-73382600-1359430804.jpg

LOL ..now you have me Frank, this is the story of every mens dream ! sadly, I have modified 'rocks & rollers' a lot in those teenage days -but could never attract a nice girl with this ..what lets me think that sooner or later the next rock I have to put my hammer on, this is the one for my grave. ..but anyway - loone Woolfs can have a rocking life too ! :D

Come on Gunter keep that smile on your face as you think about a mental 211 project and just maybe some nice potential significant other might just smile back unaware of your true thoughts... :cheers:

Gettin closer, final finish sanding before paint.

In order to keep the proper foil in the wing I had to make a proper sanding block.

post-8085-0-88902700-1359917984.jpg

More details...

I wanted to keep as much tire turbulance from entering the body so I came up with this little diffuser an inch behind the tire.... This will keep road crap out of the body and help with the aero..

post-8085-0-41660200-1360426082.jpg

post-8085-0-67622100-1360426103.jpg

post-8085-0-29782400-1360426120.jpg