free hit
counters
oops...mayonaise.... - Page 6 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gvy

oops...mayonaise....

I hope it too Andy.

I hope the engine is not in your way. I really want to try some things out first, but I am still interested. Only if it wasn t that far... I would have visited you already ;) 

Greets

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No problem it's a nice thing to have around as it has a great history.

Hi all,

It has been a bit silent here.

I have not driven the car a lot (The hatch is still off) , but I did do some short trips in the neighbourhood. I always let the engine warm up properly before the trip.

I also let the engine idle for a long time after a trip, so it comes to full temperature. At about 90° the vents kick in and out. Temperature is stable.

I am getting a little confidence here. The coolant level is not lowering anymore. I did not have to top it up . And it even seems that there is only very little , almost none white drap under the oilcap anymore. I did not change the oil yet, because It does not make sence to poor in expensive oil, when one knows it is contaminated directly with coolant. But i am considering, it may be the time to do an oilchange with first some cheap oil to flush and then the better oil.

fingers crossed.

I still have to do a long highwaytrip, so still no victory.

The engine itself is performing well during those trips. I also ballanced the carbs.

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

As i posted some time ago it could have been the liners to block with the leak congrats on the fix as far as the water leak additive it is a permanent fix when i have used it. as far as just putting it in the block i don't think it makes any difference as it is pumped around the system. you can flush when you like now and refill with the antifreeze don't forget to fit the 15lb cap.

well done andy b

Finger crossed for you Geert that your troubles are now over and she will race the roads once more.

Well done.

Some topics just end and never give a clue how things turned out, so thats why this post...

Thank you to all, who did suggestions in this topic.

The engine is running fine the past months. I did do longer highway trajects and some parts, were fast. I did some really spirited driving too.

The coolant level stays stable, I did not have to add any coolant. I have a habit of checking liquid levels (engine oil,brake oil,clutch oil,coolant) before each trip. 

Also , there is no sign of any drap/mayonaise left under the oilfillercap, wich is great...

Engine temperature is stable.

I have no idea if the can of bars leaks original is doing its job, or if the new headgasket has settled, I am just happy it is ok.

I still use a 10 lb cap on the coolant tank instead of the adviced 15 lb. I have just checked with a 2.2 NA esprit S3, who had the same 10 lb cab.

All things the same, the engine has had a good overhaul.

Things done in this topic:

Head skimmed and cleaned, decarbonised, new headgasket, new headstuds.

Head inlet and exhaust ports are enlarged and portmatched

All valves checked, decarbonised and grinded in their seats + valve clearances set.

cilinderpistonheads decarbonised, cilinder linings controlled and in good shape.

cleaning of oil filter inside engine

studs of exhaust and inletports cleaned or renewed. (Stailless steel for exhaustports)

New neoprene valvecovergaskets.new neoprene inletports gasket

New stainless steel exhaustheader and downpipe, with welded in Stailess steel flexible part.

New clutchplate+pressure plate+ clutchbearing.

All new fluids

New cambelt

No new waterpump, but I installed the pump with new gasket AND with allanbolts,just incase....

New rubber enginemounts.

So I am happy , A lot of maintenance work is done

Geert.

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

Good to hear, Geert!! Well done.....these cars are such fun,  aren't they????(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

well done hope it continues to run well

andy b

I hope you will get a good time now with your little baby!

Hope to see you soon somewhere inside belguim,

keep up the good work!

Hi ,

An update.

I drove about 3520 Miles since I revised my engine as described above in this topic. I never had any problems with coolant/oil or white drap under the oilfillercap anymore after I added a can of "Bar's leaks original" in the coolant system.

Two weekends ago I did my regular maintenance and drained and flushed the cooling circuit and filled it up with new coolant. After that, some days ago , I could notice a bit of white drap under the oilfillercap again... So today I decided to just put a new can of "bar's leaks original" in the system and started touring around. The problem was immediately solved. I did quite some miles today and no traces of condens/coolant under the fillercap anymore. I wanted to report this just to mention it for others with the same issues. I can only say that somehow Bar's leaks original really does what it promises.

So by flushing the system all just came out and by refilling and adding a new can it does what is was ment to do again. closing a small leak somewhere.

Geert

Edited by gvy

The stuff can block the heater matrix and radiator, too...but if you are flushing it out regularly, I reckon you'll be OK. Hope you're enjoying the driving??

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I have driven with it for almost a year now after the headrevision and the flushing. Engine has runned a bit cooler than before . I never had any problems regarding temperatures.

I could see that with the flushing of the system after 1 year and refilling it with new coolant, all came out, hence the small internal leak returned, and with the addition of a new can, it is doing the job again, so I can only be happy. I have no idea if is true but some say it is the same stuff GM used to do in all the engines a long time ago? I dont really care if this is an urban myth or not.

I do flush and change the coolant every year.

I think I can state that this giugiaro is driven a lot, even in wintertime. It gets its miles and is in no way a garagequeen. It is also miticulously maintained .

With outside temperatures of about 10°C the engine stabilizes at 70°C (even a bit lower). When idling for some time it rises slowly  to 90°C before the vents kick in to keap it stable under 90°C. When I drive again it returns to 70°C in a minute. That even seems a bit low to me.

Edited by gvy

I had traces of coolant in the oil after my engine was rebuilt (professionally). Somebody suggested I add a can of Bars Leaks, which I did, but I had some other work done on the car down at SJ shortly after and Steve noticed my head gasket was leaking in about 8 places!! He suspected the liner nip was not correct but I'd had the machining work done at a company who have been in business for 40 years and have worked on a number of 907 engines. I removed the head and the nip was checked and found to be correct and after some research I found out that the new Goetze gasket and tightening spec is not compatible with the old (original) head studs. I replaced the head studs with the up-rated dimple type and fitted a new head gasket before torquing it down to the original spec and it's been fine ever since. So I don't know if the Bars Leaks cured my problem or whether it was down to the head gasket problem but I suspect the latter.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

If you NEED to use some leak-stopping compound, then I can recommend the ceramic versions which cure in contact with air. That way you don't get the waxy build-up in heater matrix and radiator. For this type you have to flush the system of any anti-freeze, add it, run up to temp then drain, flush and finally fill with water and anti-freeze to normal spec.