free hit
counters
Should I grab this Eclat? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Should I grab this Eclat?

On the hunt for a good priced Lotus (my first) and have seen this one for sale not too far away and at a reasonably good price:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C498991

The carb balancing I can sort out when I get it home (not done it before but can read up on it and get what's needed to do it), but I was told that in the last MOT there was an advisory on some corrosion on the left front outrigger.

Am wondering if this is a common thing to get corroded and how big a job it could be to sort out.  Mechanics I can do, electrics I hate but can just about handle.  Rust and bodywork is a dark art to me ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice and I may be joining the ranks of Lotus owners soon :)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A word of thanks to all you guys for giving David unbiased opinion of my old Banana, David arrived yesterday and immediately decided he liked the car. Everything was shown to him, the good the bad and

On the hunt for a good priced Lotus (my first) and have seen this one for sale not too far away and at a reasonably good price:   http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C498991   The carb balancing I

In car sales speak "carbs need balancing" means that its not running particularly well for an unknown reason.   If seller agrees, it would be worth doing a compression  test to make sure its nothing s

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

It's a nice old Eclat but I doubt if it has a galvanised chassis at that age so beware, get her well up on stands and get your hand up above the rear axle as this is where they go pretty badly if not galvansied, there is a section of foam between the chassis and the body that holds water and they rot out, I have also seen them badly gone on the front chassis rails, also look down below at either side close to the radiator by the steering rack. Check things like the heater fan, wipers, is it 4 of 5 speed. The heater is a real pig to change as with the wiper motor, the 4 speed box is a poor ratio for the car and had vibration problems, the 5 speed not so bad but can be a bit soft if it's been hammered. If it's been sitting a while, sometimes as little as 3/4 moths get her running and let her idle untill she reaches about 90deg and see if the fans switch on, also look for tell tale signs of a leeking water pump and of course when was hte belt last changed, the length of time is as important as the miles done. It can be said it's a new belt only done 3,000 miles but if it's been on there more than a couple of years it will need changing smartish.

I do know of another one similarly priced but give that one a good look over first.

If you want any info on the other one for sale ping me back and I will send you all the data.

Thanks for that John.  Lots of info to think about there.

Any more thoughts from anyone on things I should look out for?  Have had a look around for a workshop manual but can't seem to find one, other than them being mentioned in previous threads.

So if that outrigger doesn't look bad and no warning signs go off on other bits of the car, do you think £3300 with a new MOT would be about right?

Sorry for all the questions.  I do know my cars but the ones I know are Japanese ;)

have a read through this.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/41779-elite-eclat-excel-for-sale/

That car is a 520 which explains the wheels. steel's look a bit odd on these cars.

Nice interior, but not cheap in my opinion.

Thanks.  I had a glance at that earlier this afternoon :)

In car sales speak "carbs need balancing" means that its not running particularly well for an unknown reason.   If seller agrees, it would be worth doing a compression  test to make sure its nothing serious.

I agree, it will tick over like a dog & he'll say it's 'cos the carbs are out of balance but if that was the case why didn't he do it? It's a two minute job with a screw driver.  :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Yes I agree, I'd say to the seller -  it's a lot of money, if you get the carbs balanced I will come and have a look. Chassis rust is normally worst at the rear crossmember due to the cunning use of water absorbing foam, but can be on the front chassis members as well. If the chassis has a rust problem - forget it.

Mat.

I would agree with Mat with regards to the chassis. There is a good chance it will need patching or replacing. Have you thought about a newer Lotus with a galvanised chassis. About 82 onwards. If the chassis is galvanised you can at least get on with the nicer jobs!

S2 elites and eclats also had galvanised chassis - they launched in 1980.

All excels have a galvanised chassis.

S2 eclats and excels can be had relatively cheaply.

Duncan

This thread is going to take a turn in a different direction methinks after this next post.

Since this thread started I've been offered the Old Banana from Scotland for a touch over £4,000.  While this isn't a cheap Eclat by any means, as you know it does come with quite a history and heritage and in excellent condition (will have a fresh MOT and be ready for the 7-hour drive back home if I purchase it).

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that one, good or bad, and whether it'd be a good deal.  Spoke to John about this and he is fine with you airing your views and we are both all for you being honest.

Ready... go!

post-17588-0-32619600-1408024586.jpg

It looks nice and it is in the best colour.

I know it was restored a while back - but don't know if it was body off/chassis repair and painting, or a galvanised one fitted - ask John because this matters on these cars.

A car that is in regular use and running well is a plus. This is a better bet than the white one in my opinion.

Would I buy it? - personally no - because I buy projects at bargain basement prices and I like improving cars rather than buying cars that are already done.

You have to decide what you want - there are cheaper eclats that will need work, or there is this one that you can use right away.

up to you to decide what you'd prefer.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

HaHa, a true Scottsman to the last Duncan, not saying you are tight fisted but I have heard you squeek when you walk.

Thanks for the honest reply, see you Saturday.

P.S. it was a full body off restoration and everything done with photographic evidence, she was presented at Castlecomb on her completion and won best in show, I think it was 96/97, I have a photograph of the tropy as evidence.

• Like 1