free hit
counters
The Lotus getting in and getting out challenge. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
The Pits

The Lotus getting in and getting out challenge.

We had this idea on another thread and I thought we could have a go here at TLF.

With a Lotus even getting in an getting out can become a whole new form of motorsport!

OK, so it relates really to Elise and Exige owners and the famous entry/egress issue due to the large sill and low seat.

It would be really interesting to see everyone's technique. Maybe we can even inspire the invention of new techniques a la Dick Fosbury!

First we need to agree on a few ground rules.

The ultimate version of this competition would be get in, get to 60mph, back down to 0 and get out. Fastest time wins. However cheating would be rife. Maybe that's an event for next year's Lotus festival?

We need a simplified version to start off with.

1. You need an Elise or Exige. Any variant. They're all hard to get in and out of!

2. Elises need their roofs on! Exige Cups must have the quick-release steering wheels in place.

3. No whinging about being over 6 ft or having large feet!

4. Post a video here of your fastest time.

5. Door must be shut at the start of the video. Time starts when you open the door and stops when you're out of the car and have shut the door. No need for stopwatches or anything, the video will do the timing.

6. Any injuries caught on film during the competition will be instant youtube comedy gold. Win-win!

Anyone have anything to add or can I get my greased trousers on and give it a go?

:thumbup:

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great Idea Jonny I recon corduroy trousers maybe of help too!

Ok just to help out a bit and get things rolling heres how its done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aJkf-VXio

Heres how its not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13tcUZfmaJg

Buddsy

• Like 1

I think we need a snappier name for the challenge.

The Lotus okeycokey?

The Lokeycokey?

:)

If you want me to shake it all about once it's in, then we'll need to renegotiate the price.

I think we should call this challenge "Assuming the Lotus Position"........what do you think?

• Like 1

Jonny V Impressive quicker than I can get into and out of my Esprit!

Im with Lokeycokey! Put your left leg in your left leg out....

Buddsy

That was quick. I'd still be opening the door by the time you were back out of the car! :thumbsup:

It's a very beatable time but I've had quite a bit of practice lately! I reckon someone a bit more spritely could go sub 7 seconds easy (love it, sounding like a Nurburgring lap time already). Pretty sure I could shave a few tenths off myself!

It proves a point though, next time someone moans about getting into an Elige we can all say that a fat middle-aged bloke can get in (and out) of one in less than 8 seconds. Not making excuses (OK I am, this is a form of motorsport after all!) but the Cup cars seats do make it slightly more difficult than the standard Elise seats...  :whistle:

I like 'Assuming the Lotus Position' Stephen, I hope to see it on your video entry! 

I quite like 'Fast in, Fast out' as for the 'Loticokey', there's a danger some people might not take it seriously.... :P   

• Like 1

Is there an additional ladies category for doing it with a knee length skirt and still maintaining your dignity? I'm not sure it can even be done, let alone in sub 15 minutes!

• Like 1

I like 'Assuming the Lotus Position' Stephen, I hope to see it on your video entry!

As long as you're patient Jonny (like I've had to be like never before when buying a car....... Edited by stephenwhyte

Just uploading my Evora time, will wheel the Elise out later but I'll need 15 spare minutes to get in and out with the roof on :lol:

I'll be adding all the videos to a playlist on the TLF Youtube Channel...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3QEJq-Kk18XlMWPz_0ZURdq1SfFY_zJf

Good man.

It will be interesting to see how much faster I could get in and out of an Evora, I wonder if it's actually any quicker. I don't think there's that much in it but you just don't have to contort yourself as much. I don't think my Dad's Boxster is any easier to get in and out of than an Evora either, but that's a whole other story!

My I&O is pretty messy, I think if I'd had a few practice goes I could shave at least a second if not more off... 

I come out in hives if I drive past a gym, I'm sure you'll be able to beat it easily! :D

Not quite sure... I may have one of my kids to volunteer for the test, though...

That could be a nice idea for a separate category: Best time for kids in & out of the rear seats in the Evora. Which would prove that the Evora is also a suitable family car. :D

I actually timed that at 6.9 secs Bibs - that's greasy fast!*

*Rocky reference

Makes sense to have an Evora category as well. The more the merrier, all in the name of proper scientific enquiry!