free hit
counters
Radio Controlled Cars? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Radio Controlled Cars?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bought a Tamiya Plasma Edge kit a few years ago. Used it a couple of times, but I'm not really into RC cars so didn't use it at all last year. 

That type of car (buggy) works great though. It's pretty fast, but not difficult to drive, and it's perfect for grass, sand or gravel. If you want to drive on really difficult terrain (like molehills or small boulders) you're going to need a monstertruck or truggy type car, or even a trial truck (but those are really slow).

It'll be grass, pretty rough in places but not too many molehills ( at the moment, although the little guys are back! ). There's quite a run though so something fast could get up to speed, shame I can't build a scale race track I could run model F1 cars! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

someone is bound to say petrol is best but its not, you can get really quick electric cars and in my opinion electric car is so much less hassle and a lot quieter if you got neighbour's close by.

Tamiya are always a good starting point easy to make, spares easy to get hold of and can be hopped up.

LiPo's are very powerful and last a decent amount of time now, just be very careful not to charge them unattended and in a tin is a good idea. I had a few nitro helicopters at one point and the LiPo stuff was better to be fair, easier to deal with and much cleaner and quieter (not to mention easier to start!!). 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have a regular 7.2V 3000 mAh NiMH battery which works fine. Never had any LiPo's, but you will need a different (more expensive) charger for those. I'm not really an expert (and last time I looked into buying a battery pack was 5 years ago) but my guess is that it's not worth the hassle and extra money. 

:lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Current garage, think there are a couple more maybe?

Tamiya Terra Scorcher (Original, well used, broken wishbone, with box)

Tamiya_TerraScorcher.jpg

Tamiya Honda NSX (Original, well used, complete, with box)

094-524x371.jpg

Tamiya Toyota GRb. 1/12 (Original, tatty, missing driveshaft, no box)

064.jpg

Tamiya Mini Cooper S (Original, unused but built, immaculate, with box)

Tamiya-Rover-Mini-Cooper-M-01.jpg

Tamiya Dyna Storm (Original, hardly used, in excellent condition, I painted shell, with box)

Tamiya-Dyna-Storm.jpg

Hobao Pirate Extreme EP 1/8 nitro buggy (Broken fuel tank, with box) love the chassis on this

DomEx-head.jpg

Finally....... Jesus that was a lot of hard work......! Pain in the ass not having the image insert option on iOS

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Simon,

That's quite a collection! Although one of your cars was a mistake..

I've got a Tamiya Porsche 959 Paris Dakar, same chassis as your Celica :-)

You see people Tamiya inspired the VAG group into world domination!! :-D

SV, From memory, the Technigold Electric motor in mine used to do about 30mph!! That's enough for a garden ;-)

By choice I woulda had the 959 but I got it second hand in bits. I was in early high school when they came out and had to make do with what I could get.

Very quick with the technigold but was a nightmare to drive on the Tarmac as flat out cornering was a guaranteed roll over even on a good flat surface, something I've nit experienced with any other RC car

If I got a new one now it'd likely be a electric brushless 1/8 monster truck.

The smaller buggies struggle a bit too much on lawns but are fantastic on loose surface or Tarmac. Monster truck is ideal for a garden.... That's my thoughts from experience anyway :)

Chunky Lover

Simon,

You've got me going now.. Lol

I do remember it being a bitch to drive. A mate had the Celica, many a race / crash was had. Celica was/is just as cool.

My Tamiya RC 959 is still at my parents house being perfectly preserved in a cupboard, will be interesting to get the old RC out and up and running..

I was 12 and spoilt rotten.. Passed a load of exams at 11 and my parents said yes! Imported from Hong Kong by a friend of mine for £160.00 from memory, quite a lot for a toy in 1987/88!!

Perfect little winter Resto project! Thanks SV & Simon for the inspiration ;-)

Think I've got the original Tamiya RC catalogue with the exploded/skeleton diagram on the cover. I've definitely got the one with the Avante on the front.

God how I lusted after an Avante! :(

Never realised that dream and now an original in good condition are huge money, if you can even get hold of one!

I've fond memories of my early tmaiya days, hence keeping all the catalogues, shame they are all in a big pile of "organise or throw out" along with thousands of other car mags,

Just don't have anywhere for any of them but don't want to throw them out. A lot of old original Lotus content in that old pile of books!

Chunky Lover

Holy crap mate, they reproduced the Avante in 2011 and you can get them for £300 ish instead of the originals £1k plus price tag!

It's the proper one too with the carbon chassis and alloy shocks and technigold motor.... That's unbelievable.

I am SUPER tempted to buy one!

Problem is I'd want to use it, so I'd need to buy two!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover