free hit
counters
ARB Bush Insertion Tool - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

ARB Bush Insertion Tool

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/user/6925-pilotsteve/

Steve ^ had trouble inserting the ARB bushes so had this tool made up. He's happy to lend it out for the cost of postage, save you destroying any trying to fit them in with a press. Please contact him directly if you wish to borrow the tool and thanks Steve for your generosity :)

post-1-0-97583400-1409133279.jpg

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Oooh, that's sexy.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I am going to make that job this Winter. Since Iam rather far away, maybe I could have some dimensions to make myself a copy here in Denmark, which I could then borrow to others like in this case.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Well worth borrowing as I know to my cost having trashed one new one fitting it and they are NOT cheap.

Which grade Buddsy?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I have been having an impossible time with that job lately.  I gave up on inserting that bush (Simon ;) )

I actually designed some cones like that and printed them on my printer, but I may have been too aggressive on the cone and my bushing broke in half!

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG0852.jpg

Even made a matching conical bushing pusher.... 

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0854.jpg

I also made a dual tapered bronze insert so I can use the conical front lower wishbone bushings from the V8's with the AP Racing brakes, since I upgraded my brakes.

IMAG0838.jpg

On the ARB bushing, I've tried boiling them for an hour, since they are very hard!  I tried 2 different reducing funnels, I tried lube, I tried just smashing them in!  They will not go in that little hole without exploding!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I even tried a small motor ring compressor tool, but it was not strong enough to compress the bushing.  That bushing is rock hard, I haven't tested it yet at work, but I would guess Shore A 90...

51SXichsx8L._SL1500_.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Maybe it's besides I'm a linear literal thinker, or maybe because I'm a robot, but I cannot follow Stimpy's threads... Too verbose, needs condensing into logical portions without all the other chatter...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Funny, I seem to be able to follow Stimpy's posts perfectly well. Maybe it's a new owner thing: the fling before depression sets in.

Margate Exotics.

Okay, be prepare to extract the urine...

In a moment of complete ineptitude while trying to insert the ARB bush in to a new wishbone, I didn't pay attention to how I was supporting it in my hydraulic press. The end result was the wishbone on the left....

wishbone_01.jpg

:blush: Ordered another one...

Anyway, I did manage to insert the ARB bush in to it properly using lots of P-80 and a bearing insertion tool. After 4t of pressure it did go in but it looks to have deformed the bush as you can see below.

wishbone_02.jpg

I reckon it's okay though. Shame the wishbone isn't!

Signature not working...

I've got a stack of those bushes in stock if anyone needs them! 

Evora NA

Sadly no wishbones handy! 

Evora NA

That sucks Alan!

I haven't bent my wishbones, but I certainly have distorted a few bushings so far!

That sucks that happened to your brand new wishbone!

Indeed it does Travis! Thankfully the wishbones aren't that expensive considering the welding that goes in to them, hence the reason why I just got another.

Can you bend it back?

It probably could Simon, I thought about it too but it was really awkward in my press. I was quite annoyed with myself and thought ah screw it!

Signature not working...