free hit
counters
ARB Bush Insertion Tool - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

ARB Bush Insertion Tool

Maybe who ever sent him the tool last can send him a letter if they still have his address that is,   if he is not contactable via the usual means  ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Email hasn't bounced so it must have got through.

1 minute ago, ramjet said:

Email hasn't bounced so it must have got through.

Just because it did not bounce does mean he has read it,  :) 

I know that. I have no idea what time it is where he lives. Just letting you all know that the email has got to him.

As Bibs said though, he was here on Friday so still around. :) 

Ok! cool! I'm sure he just hasn't checked his PM. Important thing is he's alive!

Alive and kicking:)

Change of ISP and mail server at work have left me without e-mail (and thus notifications) for the last days.
Hopefully it is working now.

• Like 1

The tool is now on its way to Vanya, so he is the man to contact when you need it!

• Like 1

Vanya, could I possibly borrow it after you?

I'd like to replace those same two bushings as well. I think Gert who is not far from me, would like to do the same.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Update: I fitted the bushes last weekend. Didn't even register any load on the gauge. They popped right in without any fuss.

@Jacques PM me your address and I'll mail 'em over!

P.S. I fitted them with the thicker side towards the front of the car, as that's what I could see in the workshop manual. Can someone confirm this is correct (image attached below)? 

Vanyas Lumia_20170219_13_47_47_Rich.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 18.08.43.png

That's how I fitted them on mine - was an utter bstard of a task though and nearly knocked the earth off its axis. Yours must have been made of something utterly different ?

Does the anti roll bar slide easily back into these after putting in new ones  Barry ?

8 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

nooooooo...  that's the hardest part!

Everyone said that - mine slipped in just nicely - ooo err missus.

might have assisted it ever so slightly with a cricket bat !!

• Like 1

I used a shit ton of lube to get the bushes in, I plan on doing the same with the ARB along with the ratchet straps!

• Like 1

This is one of the jobs on my list, lots of scare mongering going on here!!!

Has anyone used threaded bar with large washers to press them in, used in conjunction with a tapered front wheel bearing outer race to compress the lip, and plenty of lubricant. 

Neil,   Ratchet  straps sound like a good idea for keeping freshly painted new bits that will still have the paint on them after install  :thumbup: 

21 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Has anyone used threaded bar with large washers to press them in, used in conjunction with a tapered front wheel bearing outer race to compress the lip, and plenty of lubricant. 

I've read several accounts of people using threaded bar with no issues. Experiences seem to vary with some saying they are a nightmare and others saying it's no biggie, press or no press.

On 2/25/2017 at 04:00, Steve V8 said:

I did try that but the threaded rod takes up the I.D. of the bushing, and doesn't allow the bushing to squish into the hole in the arm (this is on the earlier cars with all rubber ARB bushing).  The later cars (S4s-V8) have a metal and rubber ARB bushing that is held in the lower wishbone with a snap ring.  Totally different design.  On the later cars, pulling the bushing in with threaded rod would put force on the center metal tube, and could damage the bushing.  You should only press on the outer metal ring while inserting the bushing.