free hit
counters
whirring sound in middle of the car - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
neil e

whirring sound in middle of the car

So been to have the usual mot.

Car was up on the ramps and runing at tickover for a good hour or so while it had all the checks.

Only when i got it home in the garage after giving it a reasonable run I noticed this whirring sound for at least 3/4 of an hour while everything cooled down. 

Seemed to come from behind the dash in the middle.

Not has this before, would it be the air con pump and would this mean its on its way out.?

Air con does work well and is very cold and the radiator fans cut in as they should.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

V8's have a water pump which continues to cycle coolant after the car is turned off. I'd imagine it's that :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Agree with Bibs. There is a recirculation pump to prevent heat soak in the engine. It actually pumps the water in reverse direction.  

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

"behind the dash".. ?

.Or do you mean if you stand next to the side of the car (rear quarter window, left hand side) ?

-as if so it really could be the mentioned recirculation pump, this pump sits lower down under the LH side of the engine bay, mounted into a bracket on the base of the body

..if you mean in the cabin itself, and if you have a 1998 on model car with the later vacuum actuated ventilation/heater  ..look out for leaky vacuum connectors, as especially if you have left the key in ignition the actuators are powered and if not working propperly those make a lot of noise on try to find the 'neutral'  (at least this is what it is on my car  .. a lot of whoop & rattle and grrrr if key is in and the turn around switch is in the wrong position)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks guys.

Gunter, the sound is more from inside the car rather than the engine bay. Hard to locate. Was under the car front and back and it seemed to be more in the center. Everything was turned off and the keys were out.

I will put it down to the recircluation pump and keep an eye on it. Not had it before and its been stuck in long motorway jam on a very hot day for couple of hours stop start, yet when home all was quiet.

Cheers Neil

More than likely the ventilation actuators as Gunther says. What you describe is exactly what I've had for years. Rotate the air distribution knob and see if it changes/stops. I find mine whirs away when its in the 'feet' position, as if the actuator won't actually settle in its final position and won't stop.....