free hit
counters
fuel tank sender unit - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

fuel tank sender unit

Hi all,

I've had the tanks out for painting as part of my reno job... the sender unit is, I think, jammed.  I didn't check it before the engine went back in so it's just a bit annoying!

Has anyone removed the sender unit with the tanks in situ?  It looks like I need to strip out the piece of wood, the sender unit doesn't look like it's bolted into the tank, more like it's a twist fitting? 

And if I get it out, will I ever get it back in and sealed?  I've tried with a coathanger down the supply pipe, I'm sure the arm which was swinging free when I was dealing with the tanks just needs a nudge!

Cheers,

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've done it on an S1, the float may be hitting the side of the tank, thats what was happening on mine. Not sure if you can do the same on the S3 but you might simply need to rotate it.

yep it can be removed with tank in situ ,remove the wooden piece ,expose the tank top ,there is a ring that retains the sender, gently tap the ears anti clock wise it "should" rotate releasing tension on the sender flange and rubber seal between sender and tank ,i used a little locktite 5922 (fuel compatible )on the seal its been there 3 years now ,of course tomorrow it will start leaking :rofl: hope this helps     

You are fortunate that if it is damaged you can get a replacement - S1 and S2 senders screw in to the top of the tank and are not available.

If you do find you need one I have one which I got for my car in error, PM me if you need it.

I have painted the tanks when I had them out of the car, I hope I haven't painted the thing so well I can't rotate the cap and release it!  I might first try with a wire through the filler, this time removeing the filler neck so I'm only dealing with the short neck into the tank itself.  Should give me more wiggle angle too...

Otherwise I'll go for the attempted removal. 

on mine it is only a thin ring with small tangs to rotate same the tangs bend easily so be careful,the sender unit is mounted on a substantial,in comparison plate hope this helps