free hit
counters
Stevens X180 - HC engines - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
brianc

Stevens X180 - HC engines

Quick question...

I see from the owners handbook for my 1988 X180 normally aspirated car that the compression ratio of the engine is quoted as 10.9:1.

I know that there was an HC engine produced around 1987-1988 for the last of the G series cars.  Did this ever make it into the Stevens cars and what was the compression raised to?

Just idle curiosity...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was under the impression the Giugiaro HC unit was the same one developed ready for the X180 shape. It was just put into the final few G Turbos in the run-up to body shape change............... Happy to be corrected. I'm sure I read once there were approx 68 G HC Turbos built.

Edited by nello

Ahhh...

So the engine in the X180 is the HC variant then!  Well that answers my question, thanks.

I'm pretty sure so Brian yes though again happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. By '86 the G shape was getting on a bit and the restyle bodywise was required to keep the product going, though I think one of the the other main drivers for change/improvement was driven mechanically by the Citroen/Maserati gearbox and its ability to handle the ongoing quest for more power. Ironically enough it was also ultimately the follow-on Renault box ceasing production that stopped the Esprit's life story.

X180 is none turbo correct me if i am wrong.

andy b

X180 is designation for the Stevens redesign I believe so both NA and Turbo unless I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

Quick question...

I see from the owners handbook for my 1988 X180 normally aspirated car that the compression ratio of the engine is quoted as 10.9:1.

I know that there was an HC engine produced around 1987-1988 for the last of the G series cars.  Did this ever make it into the Stevens cars and what was the compression raised to?

Just idle curiosity...

The HC turbo engine had a compression ratio of 8.0 to 1.

Originally the turbo was at 7.5 to 1, or some such. 

So does this mean the turbocharged engine runs a lower compression ratio than the normally aspirated? Useful info if that's the case

Didn't know that.  Useful info as I assume that means that some engine components will be marginally different.