free hit
counters
Calling all HC owners - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the process of carrying out some modifications, one of which is increasing the efficiency of the cooling system.

I would like to fit an HC front valance and ad Duct but at a staggering

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Andy

i'm going so dont forget the tape measure :(

Cliff :D

Hi Cliff

I went saw took photos thanks.

As I am goimg to be modifing an origional valance I have a number of choices. I would like some opinions from fellow enthusiasts, which do you prefer?

Edited by AJay

I think choice 1 will have structural problems with nothing supporting the bottom part of the valance over such a wide span.

I like choice 2 best but you could go to 3 and, if it didn't work well enough, then go to 2.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

IMHO If you're going to do 3 you may as well do 2!

1 is fine if yuo put int those supports you suggested on sunday?

I really wouldn't worry too much about it and go with whatever works for you - it's just a car - there's a gazillion of them around, anyone who's THAT much of a sad beardie anorak purist, wouldn't be buying yuor car anyway because of all teh other mods you've done to ti - so just go with what you either like best or you think will be the most effective.

1 Will have the most flow but It hink you've kind of discounted that already on the ridiculous cost grounds! That leaves 2 or 3 - and if you're going for greater flow then it has to be 2 really? :D

I will put money on it that NOONE would notice 2 wasn't standard anyway unless you were parked directly next to another car!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

• 2 weeks later...

...I was going to ask for your old valence :) I really like those so much more than the big hole ones...

I actually think the one where you deepened the 3 holes looks great though...

I'd take pics of mine, but there are prob. less smashed up examples :)

Jan I still really like your solution :)

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I'm not sure how others use their cars, but for my S3 Turbo I don't believe I've ever seen

the Temp pointer go past the middle of the gauge sweep (except for the one time when the

pump belt snapped in my drive way).

At higher speeds, doesn't one get more lift under the car with more air going through the larger

radiator nose vents? and thus get a looser, floatier feel at high speeds?

:)

PS/ SLADE, if your TR7 needs fixing, I also participate in a TR7/8 forum at

http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com

at least the door latches are common between the G type Esprit and Tr7/8

Edited by 1984_lotus_esprit

my car feels planted at high speeds... but understandably the steering does get lighter :)

My temp guage is quite, quite wrong... but mine runs around 80C usually, even on very hot days

Don't know how much the HC valence pitches in to keeping the thing cool.

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

I'm going to have to improve cooling in mine too.

AJ's car is not standard (Charger Cooler) so the greater cooling is definitely needed - extra oil coolers etc....

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

As fishy says my car is not standard, and the more power produced generaly means more heat.......

The main reason for extra cooling is track days. Under normal (road driving) temperature is pegged at 90 Deg but under track driving where full throttle as held for a high pertcentage of time it creaps up this then brings on detonation.... not healthy for the wallet.

As the car is undergoing a few repairs i am taking the opertunty to improve the cooling with a higher capacity rad and increasing the airflow.

Lotus recognised the cooling limitations Hence the front valance on the HC.

Thanks for all the input, i am still undecided as i now have access to a geniune HC valance, but i am struggling with the rad ducts...... One step forward.....

thanks greg! :P I think I registered at that forum a while back... have yet to go back to check things out :o No probs. with the forum, I just barely have time for forums.

When something breaks I'll show up :D As of now, I still need to deal with the brakes and tires... then pay all the unpaid parking tickets :o then I ought to be able to drive it.

My TR7 has the chrome door handles. Every once in a while I wonder how they'd look on the Esprit :P But I dig the none blacker look so...

Thanks for all the input, i am still undecided as i now have access to a geniune HC valance, but i am struggling with the rad ducts...... One step forward.....

Hi AJ... I had to modify my duct to fit a 1.5 inch lower opening.. I am actually in the middle of turning my modified duct into a buck.. I will be building a mold of it, so I can reproduce it.

Once you get to the point of doing the project, I may be able to help you out (if the dimensions are compatible).. even so, if not, I could crank out a thin part that you could modify and reinforce yourself. A single layer of Kytex vacuumed in epoxy would be a good basis to work from.

J

At higher speeds, doesn't one get more lift under the car with more air going through the larger

radiator nose vents? and thus get a looser, floatier feel at high speeds?

That makes sense.. I thought about that. With my solution, the duct is opened about 1.5" but the area under the chin is reduced accordingly. With my splitter added, the total closure of the chin gap to road surface is 3.5 inches.. thats quite a reduction in the airflow volume able to pass under the front of the car.

I was curious tho' how much venturi effect (suction) the curved front undertray provided, and was lost by my mods?

J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..