free hit
counters
Mazda MX5 seats in an S1 Elite - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Mazda MX5 seats in an S1 Elite

So the front leather seats were in a terrible state in this car,

5d0i7zbl.jpg

Back seats are unbroken so just coloured and fed the leather and they came up ok. 

A lucky find in the scrappy scored these leather Mazda MK1 MX5 seats, i say lucky as it was my mate that spotted them, i dismissed them as i said my car is a four seater and they wont hinge forward for access but he lifted the side lever and they sprang forward :smoke: , they are mint with just a slight bit of scuffing on the drivers bolster, not bad for £70 the pair.

MBFtC8pl.jpg

Fitting was straightforward, the rails on the MX5 seats are 13" apart, the Lotus rails 19", so i cut some 2mm steel plate to shape (alloy plate would be lighter but would need to be thicker), the MX5 seat rails are bent at the mounting holes but these were easily straightened with a big shifting spanner, bolted the MX5 seats to the mounting plate with 17mm bolts then bolted the seats and plate to the Lotus floor through the original mounting holes using 13mm bolts with big flat washers on the underside.  

CNSuRDkl.jpg

Instalation isn't finished yet, still need to trim and tidy up the mounting plates a bit and give them a coat of paint, may leave that till i get new carpets.

Got my centre console fixed too (it had been butchered to fit a CD player as seen in the top pic) and restuck my sagging headlining so the interior is looking a lot better.

Only tricky thing i'll mention is that mounting them this way the MX5 seats sit a bit higher than the Lotus seats, felt a bit strange at first but i've adapted to it, i'm 5'7" but someone a bit taller may need to come up with a way to mount the seats a bit lower (maybe using L section brackets instead of flat plate ?) 

A cool thing i forgot to get a pic of is that i was able to use the wooden knobs on the slider levers on the MX5 seats, the Mazda seats had a plastic cover on the handle, that popped off and the wooden Lotus knob popped on.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great. What are you doing with the original front seat covers, might be interested in them to use as templates for my retrim?

Charlie the front covers are all burst, drivers cover is in a dozen bits, the passenger one isn't too bad, just burst at the stitching, you are welcome to it if it's any use.

Unless you know what the originals looked like, you'd be hard pressed to notice they're not meant to be in there.

Good catch.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I'd take them, I think they would be useful just as templates, particularly around the tombstone headrests which I haven't got. I'll pay postage and give you a drink for your time?

To remove them quickly and not damaging the template cut down the seams with a blade.

Charlie,

Well done on the MX5 seats, as Duncan said, I was toying with the idea some time ago, I was thinking of a top hat section as a base plate that has the effect of lowering the whole seat down to the same level as the lotus seats. The width of the runners fits between the original mounting holes with a couple of inches spare.

John

Hi all,

Interesting thread, and a nice conversion,

I'm fitting audi TT mark 1 seats to mine, they are leather recaro seats, very comfortable and supportive these also come up a bit higher, in the TT there is a height adjustable mechanism that makes the seat higher (even at the lowest setting) so I've taken these off. Left to do is to weld the excel seat runners (i like them better than the eclat ones) to the base of the seats, and they can go in, currently they are in a spare bedroom!

Dimensionally they are virtually identical - except the bottom bit you sit on is longer, so goes more forward. I think this is one of the things that makes it more comfortable (for me) as it provides more leg support than the original Lotus seats.

I'll post pictures once in - a way off as there are more pressing jobs(!)

By the way for info I've got a pair of very good eclat seats in the black cloth material, no damage or rips, only thing is the drivers seat rh bolster - it is a bit lower than the left from the driver getting in and out. I'm keeping them for now as a guide to locate my new seats but once installed I won't have a need for them. In fact depending how it works out refitting my interior I may have a complete eclat interior including dashboard to get rid of, in the once black fuzzy material (anthracite?) it's faded to green in places but no damage.

Mat.

Mat.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to do the same thing in my '75, but at 6'2" I need the seats to be lower. In fact, the stock seats are a bit high for me. 

Here's the question, and I apologize if it hijacks the thread:

Has anyone cut the stock seat mount areas out of the bodyshell and re-fiberglassed them back in at a lower height? Is there a steel mounting plate in the fiberglass, and if so, how far does it extend into the shell? I had to something similar in a BMW 2002, cutting out the mounting flanges and bolting my own mounts to the floor with reinforcements.

Thanks!

JPT

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to do the same thing in my '75, but at 6'2" I need the seats to be lower. In fact, the stock seats are a bit high for me. 

Here's the question, and I apologize if it hijacks the thread:

Has anyone cut the stock seat mount areas out of the bodyshell and re-fiberglassed them back in at a lower height? Is there a steel mounting plate in the fiberglass, and if so, how far does it extend into the shell? I had to something similar in a BMW 2002, cutting out the mounting flanges and bolting my own mounts to the floor with reinforcements.

Thanks!

JPT

Hi John, sorry but at 6'2" you're just too tall man.

Just kidding :D, in answer to your question the uprisers/seat mountings in the floor are just  (thick) fibreglass so i recon it would be possible to cut them off completely and replace with new fibreglass to create a flat floor then a steel strengthening plate to mount the seats to using spacers to set the seat to the ideal height.    

Hope this helps, no worries about the hijack :smoke: