free hit
counters
Puzzled! - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Puzzled!

dixi4uk

I bought a 1975 Elite recently as a project.

The new registration document arrived this morning and it says that it is a 502 model.

A DVLA check online confirms this car as a 502.

However, there is no sign whatsoever that the car has ever been fitted with power steering.

I am puzzled. Is this a normal error or is the car not what I think it is?

I have another puzzle as well. The car odometer is showing 65k miles but the engine number on the reg document is different to the chassis plate. What the actual engine number is I have no idea as I have not been able to find a number on the engine as yet.

Any comments?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Entirely normal. The advance of the 502 over the 501 was the addition of Air Con, not PAS.

It was the 523 that got the A/C and PAS as standard

model rundown (the 2 in the middle means eclat)

520 - base spec eclat only model

501/521 - 5 speed gearbox, wider wheels and a radio
502/522 - as 501 with air conditioning
503/523 - as 502 with power steering
504/524 - as 503 with automatic transmission

However, you could have whatever you want as the cars could be built to order - e.g there are cars with auto boxes that were not 504's or 524's, and there are 501's with PAS.

Sounds like the car has had an engine swap (Not uncommon) The number is stamped on the block casing above the starter.

It'll probably start DL907 something. Post it up and I'll decode it for you.

Edit - if it is the original engine in a 502, it'll probably start DD907.... not DL

Dunc

Entirely normal. The advance of the 502 over the 501 was the addition of Air Con, not PAS.

However, you could have whatever you want as the cars could be built to order - e.g there are cars with auto boxes that were not 504's or 524's, and there are 501's with PAS.

Sounds like the car has had an engine swap (Not uncommon) The number is stamped on the block casing above the starter.

Edit - if it is the original engine in a 502, it'll probably start DD907.... not DL

Dunc

Thanks for the heads up as to where the engine number is located. When found I will contact you.

I have just realised that I wrote Power steering when actually I meant Air con.

No sign of  air con being fitted.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Dunc

Hi Dunc,

It has taken me a few days to get around to investigating the engine number.

The engine number does check out OK. The number on the chassis plate is the same as on the engine block but not on the registration document, easily rectified with DVLA when I get around to taxing it.

You offered to give me a run down on the engine if I listed the engine number so here it is:

X7760112414 Oddly it does not start with DL or DM907, neither on the engine or chassis plate.

Look forward to your reply.

Adrian

• 7 months later...

Sorry Adrian - I missed your question and only found it when searching the archives.

An X prefix in the engine number means 1975 Domestic C spec Cams.Produced January 1976, serial number 12414 off the line (these numbers consecutively include all 907's - including those that went into Jensen Healeys).

• Like 2

I did apply for a Heritage certificate earlier this year form Andy Graham at Lotus.

There was a small discrepancy with the engine number I have and the chassis plate.

The conclusion from him is that more than likely the engine had been changed alomg with a replacement chassis plate maybe under warranty post January 1976. (Car was built April 1974)

All the numbers now match the DVLA reg doc and car but do not match the Heritage certificate.