free hit
counters
Lotus announce 325 potential redundancies in restructure - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Lotus announce 325 potential redundancies in restructure

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I believe Lotus has been up for sale for a while, regardless of what Proton and DRB do say they don't have quite the legs and desire to sustain Lotus in the long term if Lotus can't hold his own and generate more cash to sustain its development. If the company was back at 1200 workers it may have been top heavy and shedding a little weight may have been necessary but we are talking people loosing their jobs which is never a happy thing to talk about. 

Hopefully, as JMG said, this number is soft and more than a few people will find a new function in the redeployment.  Regardless the new variants cannot come soon enough and other markets need to complement the sales generated by Europe. 

Engineering jobs in the uk are doing very well at the moment so there should be no problem with employees getting new work - perhaps not in Norfolk but Cambridge is not a million miles away...

Lotus needs to handle their PR a little better:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/going-going-lotus-to-drop-evora-from-u-s-market/

If potential U.S. buyers hear Lotus is essentially pulling out of the U.S. market in September 2014, it just reinforces the stereotype that Lotus is unstable.  I read this blog as Lotus skipping the 2015 model year to focus on whatever they'll debut in Geneva.  It makes no sense to spend money for a single model year.  However, that general public (or more importantly potential customers) don't know that.

Edited by Allan Gibbs

Every company I have ever worked for and have had new top dogs have always had a floor sweep after a few months, sad for the people who go but at the end of the day the company has to be bigger than the few. PR is the biggest downfall with Lotus at the moment but at the same time many analysts will see this as a strong move and can even build confidence with investors. Give them a couple more months then see how they sit.

I work for a merc dealer and the whole crew from merc uk have been trimmed down dramatically in the last 5 years to do more for less. Same at dealer level, every department is trimmed so thin when soneones off on holiday its caos. All i saw was job roles made redundant to almalgamate roles to do the same with less people, if you were lucky and got made redundant then took back on for a new role you were quids in, but boy would you have to work harder from here on

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I do hope JMG will issue some positive news soon. He seems to have an eye on marketing and this bad news needs to be countered fast. Particularly the rumours regarding pulling out of the US are dangerous. 

I'm still optimistic, but once again, the wrong sequence of events has certainly dampened expectations. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

They're not pulling out of the USA. The MY15 Evora will be USA compliant as a start from what I understand.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

They're not pulling out of the USA. The MY15 Evora will be USA compliant as a start from what I understand.

Would be great if they make that public fast!  The rumours on LotusTalk are miserable. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Just because someone says something on the internet doesn't make it true*

*unless it's on TLF :D

I spotted this beauty on there earlier...

Given that they don't really have an F1 team anymore? It has to be a giant money pit for Lotus.

I can't every count how many things are wrong in 2 short sentences!! 

Evora NA

Sure is! He's what people are referring to when the say 'Lotus DNA', Matt and his team are hugely important to the company. :)

Evora NA

Good thing that after these redundancies there'll be plenty of money in the pot for him to have a pay rise.

Hi Matt. :welcome:

Evora NA

I totally understand when a company becomes top heavy for whatever reason that cuts are inevitable and in many cases the company can be better for it.

Unfortunately the cost on the human side is terrible. Having been made redundant myself in the past, I have a good idea of what the workforce is going through at the moment.....again.

Likewise my own company is paying off 15% of the workforce in Norway so all in all not the best of times. 

On a positive note, I hope that all involved in the cuts go on to find other jobs and I would like to thank them for their input into producing the incredible cars that we all love.

Thanks folks and good luck!

• Like 1

Think you meant 2016MY... there is no 2015MY for us.... :realmad:

Oh dear.... confidence levels are dropping again here!  

Swinging cuts don't make for a better quality product, just a more profitable one, at least in the short term...  

Very worrying.  :thumbdown:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Today was the end of the consultation period and lots of people got their letters. Last Monday a lot of people found out their jobs were secure too so it's been an ongoing process. Not happy times in Hethel, not happy at all. 

Evora NA

Sorry for all those concerned, but I am glad that the business has a sense of reality and are resizing their workforce to a more appropriate level matched to sales.

Lets hope in two to three years time Lotus are recruiting once more.

I've just been through all this in my current airline. Started in August this year and is still unfolding...

My thoughts are with those effected, horrible experience. First few weeks of uncertainty are quite full on.

The number of "Compulsory Redundancy" members can be a lot less than the initial figure... Every example I've seen normally goes this way! So chins up, it ain't over till it's over ;-)

My company is now facing shortages as a lot of staff (me included!) have done something about it and have found better...

In my case I was firstly put at risk of a demotion (50% paycut! ) then De-Risked (with 25% Paycut!) but told I might have to move base 115 miles away from home to maintain my rank :-(

So I started looking around and have found a better job for more money in a bigger company that won't make me move :-D

My situation is now looking stronger than before the crappy situation started, there is life after and the grass can be greener!!!

Best of luck to those effected.

Cheers,

A ;-)