free hit
counters
no boost reading,cant hear turbo spool - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kingK

no boost reading,cant hear turbo spool

Hello, a little advise if you can please.since I bought  the car there has been no boost reading on the dial.I have been very busy doing other things on the car ,so just put this down to a faulty gauge.The car has been driving very well or so it seemed to me.However not having driven another esprit turbo. I'm not so sure.I have never realy noticed the  turbo spooling either, so my question is this .Could  this be something as simple as a stuck wastegate or a boost solenoid or vacuum lines etc.any advise on what to look at please.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you got yourself a freescan lead yet?

If not, put it on your shopping list pronto as it will be the most useful tool you'll ever have in your tool box. Then get the software, Freescan and Espritmon and you've got yourself a great starting point!

I would start by looking at the vacuum lines which are often the cause of the problem plus is engine getting up to correct temperature. A thermostat sticking open will almost certainly affect boost.

Ok discount temperature problems. Boost only cuts in above 3000 rpms. Go through all the vacuum lines. Are you still getting servo assistance with braking. Lack of this would indicate a broken vacuum line from the pump.

I do get an intermittent ABS light ,only occasionally thought,just a thought.

Yes temperature is fine.

The dash coolant temperature gauge is not connected to the ECU.  There is a 2nd temperature sensor under the intake manifold, that the ECU uses to determine coolant temp.  If that sensor is reading different than the dash, and does not meet the criteria for the ECU to allow full boost...  The that could be the issue.  

You need to run freescan on your car and log the data to see what the real issue is.