free hit
counters
Exige S - Dealing with understeer - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige S - Dealing with understeer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've spoken with some people who know about this sort of thing and race their cars. Their feedback is that the car is setup for the 'average' situation out of the box and there are ways of getting les

Bibs - thanks for the feedback re: pressures.   Interesting re: your point of 30psi all round.  Everything I've read has suggested slightly higher pressure at the rear to compensate for the extra we

Ian, I am with you.   My Porsche doesn't has understeer and I do not accept this on a Lotus, because this is a modern sportscar. The camber setting is like at Porsche, to keep unskilled people aliv

Thanks again to everyone for the help on the tire pressure. 30psi hot worked great. Car and tires survived the first track day ;-) 

Does anybody have an idea, how many track days / track mls/kms do Corsa's usually survive? 

Cheers

Norbert

My first set have done 5000 miles including 1000 mile run in and 3 track days and the rears need changing this month. I'm going to get the geo changed a little this month to see if that helps a bit with the understeer.

Only problem is I think a different set up for each track is ideally required as the car was awesome at donington but under steered quite a bit at Anglesey a week later.

• Like 1

let me know if you do and what you find out... understeer at Bilster Berg was not an issue ... but I am curious what I will get at Spa or the Nürburgring...

Cheers

Norbert

• 10 months later...

Hi everybody - would it be possible to maintain the recommended pressure of 32/38 on Corsas for track use regardless of the temp when using a gas-fill - instead of air - could this help avoid the constant checking of tire-pressure ???

I read that regardless of temp and tire - abuse the tire pressure should stay constant when using gas-fills.

please advise

Thanks Wolfi

5 hours ago, NW76 said:

Hi Wolfi,

this would be nice but also the gas used to fill tire expands at sign temp increase ...

No way around checking pressure ...

Cheers

Norbert

Thanks Norbert - so it is a waste of money and rather a problem making you feel safe while not standing up to what is promised ???

45 minutes ago, wolme said:

Thanks Norbert - so it is a waste of money and rather a problem making you feel safe while not standing up to what is promised ???

One fill still leaves some air in the tyre.

The biggest increase is due to moisture in this air.

I purge my tyres 3 or 4 times with nitrogen, I usually only need to readjust tyres once at the circuit and usually on a few psi.

With air I need to adjust them 2 or 3 times and usually by 5-8psi each time

Thanks Jonny great presentation , thanks Dave for this valuable info - so if at all I will have to fill my tyres  several times to get rid of the air as much as possible - then it would probably make sense. As far as I understand.

Will give it a try

Thanks - Wolfi

Just listened to the 'Auto expert video' now ( I overlooked it at first) had to leave home in a hurry - he is absolutely hilarious - viewing this I will probably not even give it a try - considering costs and benefits ??

Thanks mate

Wolfi

On 18.2.2017 at 07:05, NW76 said:

Hi Wolfi,

this would be nice but also the gas used to fill tire expands at sign temp increase ...

No way around checking pressure ...

Cheers

Norbert

As Norbert said, ALL gases expand with temperature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

Or, as we engineers say PV=nRT :sofa:

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

15 minutes ago, TBD said:

As Norbert said, ALL gases expand with temperature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

Or, as we engineers say PV=nRT :sofa:

Yes they do but nitrogen is significantly more stable at temps we find in tyres than moist air.

I will carry on using nitrogen for my circuit driving as the tyre pressure increases are much much less....

Edited by Seriouslylotus