free hit
counters
Front quarter glass insertion - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ginger pig

Front quarter glass insertion

Hi Guys,

What sealant would you recommend to use when putting in the above into a door frame?

Has anyone used 'Tiger Seal' or 'Dinitrol'?

Your advise would be much appreciated!

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tiger seal is an excellent PU adhesive, I've used it many times without fail.

Dinitrol is a waxoyl type of chassis rust sealer, not something you would want to use on a door frame. :)

This is on my list of jobs for the winter. Let us know how you get on! Just had a look at tiger seal and if it does what it says on the tin it looks ideal but I am no expert.

Pete

I have used tiger seal loads of times and well pleased with the results, my 37 year old Eclat rear windows are held in with Tiger seal and have been perfect.

I used the black adhesive from car builder solutions for my rear 1/4 lights and the one in the door frames with no problems  over a year later. 

Another vote for Sika flex here.

What ever you use though, make sure you get the corresponding glass/body etch primers though. Without these, any product will have a sub-optimal bond.

Cheers guys,

Varied comments!

I was tempted to go the Tiger Seal route but ended up buying Sila Flex.

I found a multi tool best for cutting out the older sealent (was the original stuff from Lotus that requires electrical current to soften), which meant I could remove the glass..

I will start on Sunday and let you know the results.

Mark

did you also get the Sika 206 G+P primer?

I tried with and without primer, primer needs to be on the glass and the window frame where the urethane adhesive will go.  

Hi All,

A little progress report:

Took out the old frames which was easy enough (although when taking out the window motor; the nut on the lower retaining bolt is an absolute bitch to get to).

Took out the 1/4 glass by very gently grinding the rusty old frames at the corners of the frame where the corners of the glass sit.

I put cloth tape around where the glass met the frame.

If you take your time; it made removing the glass so much easier (I have tried removing with the multi tool but it took hours to complete).

With regards to inserting the 1/4 front glass; I used the primer on the glass and then (with the frame upside down in a vice (with soft grips))applied the Sila Flex to the frame. I filled the frame up to about 60% of Sila Flex and then inserted the glass. I used some pieces of plastic to space out the glass against the frame. Once the bonder had gone off; I filled the remaining gaps with black silicone.

When refitting the frame into the door shell; I did come up against a problem with the tapping plates on the furthest forward brackets on the door frame (in particular the highest of the two brackets). Because the bracket on the later door frames is quite different (thicker) I found getting the bolts through the front brackets very difficult despite cutting off about 10mm from the 40mm bolt. In the end; I had to remove a small peice from the bracket (on the door frame) so that the bolt would actually be able to protrude through the bracket.

Has anybody else had this issue?

My only thought is that you might be able to use a female tapping plate (i.e. nut welded to the tapping plate and push a bolt through from the inside.

Mark

Sorry all,

I must have been p##sed when I wrote this!

Having done the passenger side door frame in October; I have finally gotten round to starting the drivers side.

What a difference three months can make with regards to the way you problem solve.

I have finally worked out a better way of installing the frame and it makes it a very simple job; taking no longer than maybe 2 - 4hrs.

The door frame removal is really simple and it was the first time round.

The difference this time was that when I installed the new door frame; I pulled it as rear most as it would go and fitted the two front retainers to the stud plates. Once these have been fitted loosely; you can then put the frame into its normal position (probably about another inch forward) and fit the rest of the retainers over the other stud plates. Previously I had worked from back to front on the door frames retainers and found that as the door carcass narrowed at the front; the retainers would not fit over the stud plates.

I think the other thing that I became more aware of this time around was that the stud plates seemed to each have three nuts and three washers. One nut to hold the stud plate against the door beam. One nut to space out the retainer and one nut to secure the retainer to the stud plate.

Hope this helps................ it shaved hours off the process for me.

Mark P

Resurrecting an old thread here but I'm in the process of refurbing my door frames, which are currently off the car and I need to sort out the quarter glasses as part of the process.

I've noticed that both front quarter glasses are loose in at least part of the frame so given that I need to prep and paint the frames I'm thinking for a proper job the glass needs to come out and be rebonded in after painting.

Is it best to refit the glass before or after the frame is back in the door and properly aligned? Just worried about doing it off the car and then having to twist the frame to get corect alignment with the glass in it...

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are some rubber 'beads' that you need to use to centre the glass in the frame before bonding it in. Or did I imagine that? Can't see anything on the SJ site.

On 06/12/2015, 09:56:31, eeyoreish said:

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are some rubber 'beads' that you need to use to centre the glass in the frame before bonding it in. Or did I imagine that? Can't see anything on the SJ site.

Hello Neil

Well the parts diagram suggests the seal and some "spacers"?

56660395b2411_90glazing.jpg.383ffe9d1f0b

Items 46 and 47?

566603afafaad_90glazingwords.jpg.3c7456b