free hit
counters
Alternative turbo - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Alternative turbo

I’m going to re-build my engine and wondered about getting a bit more HP out of it. Can I replace the turbo for a bigger one ?  What other options are available ?.

I have a 1988 Esprit turbo.

Edited by Cushing

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Chargecooling may be an easier and safer option, plus EFI? It's a well trodden path of course for this engine.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Alternative turbo

I’m going to re-build my engine and wondered about getting a bit more HP out of it. Can I replace the turbo for a bigger one ?  What other options are available ?.

I have a 1988 Esprit turbo.

Could you give us a little bit more details? Is it carbed or Bosch CIS? External or internal wastegate?

Hi guys, it's a Bosch system with an external wastegate.  I've pulled the motor and ready to strip down to check all internals etc ready for a re-build. I noticed the turbo had quite a bit of slack so it's either send it away for re-con or buy a new. Since I fancy a new one I just wondered if I could get something with a bit more power.

There is no "bolt on" (plug and play) turbo for this MY configuration. You have to consult a reputable turbo rebuilding company.

84-88 Turbo cars have an extension/adapter between the turbo and a down pipe flange, (waste gate mixing chamber), which is not a part of the turbocharger.

On the 89 and later parts, Lotus deleted the extension and incorporated it into the turbocharger.

That adapter creates a choke point (only 1.8" dia!) and can not be machined larger.

Give these specs to your builder and see what they can do for you.

88 Lotus Esprit Turbo OE was TC0301:

OE turbine:T3 inducer=1.80, 0.63 housing;

*Upgrade: T3 .63 A/R turbine housing + increase turbine inducer dia

OE compressor: T3 inducer= 1.73”;  0.42, 55 trim  

*Upgrade: T3 housing ported to “Super 60”, 60 trim + increase compressor inducer dia

If it seems too expensive, rebuild your turbo to OE specs and you may remove the spacer ring from the wastegate stack up, which will increase your boost from 7psi to 9.5psi.                  

Looking at your wastegate from the side, the ring is sandwiched between the lower half (the "cup") and the upper housing. The ring is made of shiny aluminium, 8-12mm thick. It was a dealer added item.

If your w-gate does not have this ring, it means your car was not de-tuned and you enjoyed full advertised 9.5 psi boost.

Edited by MrDangerUS

"That adapter creates a choke point (only 1.8" dia!) and can not be machined larger."

Clarification: I'm talking about 84-88 turbo to down-pipe adapter. 1.9" inner tube wall is too thin to be opened up.

89+ cars have no adapter at all.

You may look into hi-efficiency, triple ball bearing CT3 series turbos. Opt for carbon seals, though.

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct3

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct3turbo/billet/ct3-5356

or

http://compturbo.com/products/turbos/ct3turbo/billet/ct3-5558

Edited by MrDangerUS

"That adapter creates a choke point (only 1.8" dia!) and can not be machined larger."

Clarification: I'm talking about 84-88 turbo to down-pipe adapter. 1.9" inner tube wall is too thin to be opened up.

89+ cars have no adapter at all.

Well, there may be a one possibility...

I'm considering removing the cylindrical stand off protruding beyond the adapter flange (facing the turbo) and adding a gentle 30 degree chamfer to open up the inner pipe to 2.300" at the outboard surface of the flange.

This would allow fitting a modern turbo with with 2.250" turbine outlet port. However, this won't solve the inner tube "choke point" problem.

Edited by MrDangerUS

I've bought a new manifold (S4 one peice) and a new turbo (standard) but I was thinking about installing an EBC, which would suit my car ?

Steve