free hit
counters
129G is starting to look like a car again... - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

129G is starting to look like a car again...

129G is finally starting to look like a real car again after nearly 8 years!!

The engine's back in the chassis and the body is back on the chassis. although I still have to restore the carbs which are in a right state..

2r6ijr4.jpg

I fitted the stainless steel exhaust system I bought but the rear box doesn't seem to sit level so the tail pipes are not level?

jzwodl.jpg

I bought 3 Kenlowe fans and they only just fit. Mine has the early separate radiator housing and front blade...

290u0r4.jpg

There's currently no interior in the car, just the underfelt...

14azbxh.jpg

The windscreen is in but the front end is sitting very high. The suspension bolts are not torqued up yet but I can't see how it's going to lower it that much...

28qyx5k.jpg

It's the same story on the other side so at least it's even...

2cqbj93.jpg

There's no adjustment on the front suspension so I just hope it drops when everything else is back in the car.

There's still a long way to go on this car and I was hoping to have it on the road this year but it'll probably end up being next year realistically.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bravo mate, honestly, bravo..... She's looking lovely....! :wub:

Maybe try rotating the rear silencer up on the tailpipe side. When I say up, I mean up in relation to the gearbox mount.

What springs and dampers are you using? Can't remember it's been so long :P

Chunky Lover

She's looking beautiful Paul.

To level my silencer, I jacked the rear onto car stands plus pieces of fibro to get it perfectly level using a spirit level along the rear body seal. Then used a trolley jack to lift the end of the silencer to level, then tightened clamps and lastly the silencer three pipe bolts. Seems to sit nice :)

Antonio.

Take a look back through his other restoration posts. Paul has even taken all the sills off and replaced the brackets the seat belts screw in to. They seriously needed doing, surprising how bad they get and also to what level of detail Paul's gone to to get this properly right first time!

Chunky Lover

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement chaps :)

Re exhaust - the mounting plate on the back of the gearbox doesn't sit straight but seems to have been designed like that? Consequently the back box is slanted and hence the slant on the tail pipes. I'll have to have another go at it at some point but for now I'll live with it and keep pushing forward.

Re springs - the fronts and rears are different. The rears have flat ends where as the fronts only have one flat end so they're definitely on the correct way round. The springs are original but the dampers have been replaced with protech ones from SJ.

Re seatbelts - as Simon says, I did remove the sills to inspect them and I'm glad I did. This is what was left of my driver's side mounting, it was literally paper thin and in an accident the mounting nut would have just pulled straight through the big hole in my inner sill...

126cvgm.jpg

This is the rest of it that I swept out of the sill...

mmc2u1.jpg

If you have access to an endoscope see if you can get access to see how bad yours are!!

Really please to see you are still making good progress. It is inspiring and you should be proud of what you have achieved so far. 

I hope tat it fulfils your expectations when its completed.

:)

It's getting there......

Really please to see you are still making good progress. It is inspiring and you should be proud of what you have achieved so far. 

I hope tat it fulfils your expectations when its completed.

:)

Just hope I live long enough to actually drive the thing hahaha

And I've got an e-type Jag to do after this... :w00t:

Edited by Paul Coleman