free hit
counters
Evora grills matt black - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The front grills on mine look horrible. It is a 2013 car but the grills got so much rust on them you would think the car is 10 years old. 

Does anybody know how big of a job it is to get them out?

Mine are not great either.

The 2 side ones by removing the front wheel arch liners and if you have an S or an IPS the oil coolers. The main grille looks like it may be a bumper off job but I am going to try removing the under tray first.

Here is a tip.  I spray my grill quite often with WD40.  It keeps the rust at bay

• Like 2

Use plasti-dip spray.

I sprayed that on my daily drivers windshield wipers 2 years ago, since the original factory black paint had cracked off with the sun.  You just clean up the metal, no primer needed. spray all around it if you can remove the part.  It coats it in a resilient rubber that doesn't get chipped from rocks.  Mine look fine after 2 winters with ice and snow (car sits out year round).

I've already done mine with Satin or glaoss Black brush on paint from Wilkinsons. I use it all the time on my Esprit and it always gave excellent results. You don't want to try a spray it on as the paint will go over the radiator and pipework behind, I put a line of masking tape around the edge so I don't have to worry about getting any paint on the bumper.

Use the paint sparingly otherwise it will cause runs and droplets on the diamond pattern of the grill.

I did two coats and you can't tell it's been brushed on. I have some photos somewhere, I'll dig them out when I get a chance.

OK, you cannot get the front grille out by removing the undertray :thumbdown: .

It's a bumper off job. My bumper is now off :thumbsup:

DSCN3755.jpg

'scuse the halfords trolley jack, my good ones under the other side.

Whilst at it I am taking the opportunity to sort out some of the non painted braketry and some stone chips on teh bumper and armour fend it. Looks like I may be slumming it in the oil burner for a couple of weeks.

That's a big task just to paint your grill, I wonder how long that took?

There's only a certain level of finish you can get spray painting mesh, which I decided to was easier and quicker to brush paint using gloss black and I got some excellent results. This only took about an hour or so and that's including masking the surrounding area and putting two coats on. I've been doing this on my Esprit for the last 6 years.

Here's some before and after shots.IMG_2024_zps87552161.jpg

IMG_2028_zps79dda45e.jpg

IMG_2031_zps1826526d.jpg

• Like 1

That's a big task just to paint your grill, I wonder how long that took?

TBH there was already a date in the diary to remove the bumper to sort out the stone chips and armour fend it and I didn't want to spray the grill on the car due to the overspray. Now it's off I may get it blasted and powder coated. I posted a thread about the mud flap brackets so simply decided to remove all the bracketry to paint it and reinstall whilst at it.

About 4 hours in all, including wasting well upwards of an hour removing and reinstalling the undertray (the spacers are a pain in the bum as they come detached and you have to reaffixed them) but it means I can get everything A1 (OK I'm anally retentive) and better than new. Bumper will be quicker if ever there is a next time now I know where everything is.

Wanted to resurrect this thread @superdavelotus what paint did you use? Was it specific metal paint?

i have stuff I did my house gates and railing. Something similar? 

Mine need some TLC. 

Thanks,

Woza. 

I used Wilko's Quick drying satin black plaint from a tin £6. I used a 1/2" brush and trimmed down the bristles so it didn't spray paint on to parts I didn't want painted by dabbing on to the grill. I also masked off the aperture to lower bumper, approx. 2". Paint does get onto the masking tape so you do need to mask the bumper aperture. Having just looked at the info on the paint, it says it's water based so I suspect there are much better oil based paints that will give you better protection. During ownership of my Evora, the rust didn't come back.

I like the covered of the paint from Wilkos and also the finish once dry when using a brush. Other paints leave too many brush marks and makes the grill look bodged. So I would try a couple of different paints and se which best suits you.

Something to bear in mind, I used a quick drying paint which is mostly water based to it dries quicker. Using an oil based paint, you will need to apply much lighter and keep an eye on drips and runs over a longer period because it will take hours to settle and dry. The paint I used, I made sure I only put a bit on the end of the brush and applied lightly. The reason is that the paint will still run and start to fill the bottom on the diamond shaped part of the pattern to you grill. You want to avoid this. If it starts to happen, go over with an unloaded brush to dab the excess off.

I hope this helps!

Superdavelotus, did you do any prep work on the rust before the paint? Like running it down with sand paper or something? Or just brush the paint onto the rusty grill?

thanks for advice I’m looking to tidy up my grilles soon.  

I 'attacked' mine about this time last year.

After removing the worst of the flakey bits with some sandpaper, I gave it a coat of brush-on rust inhibitor - Hammerite Kurust if memory serves me right. It goes on a creamy colour but turns black as it dries and in the end It looked presentable enough that I didn't bother to go back and paint over it. I also did the intake grills behind the doors but you have to be a bit careful here - if any dribbles through and lands on the ducting underneath, it remains 'white' when it dries (it's not had any rust to react with afterall) and so you then have loads of fun with a cotton bud on a stick trying to get rid of the splatter, :rolleyes: .

The front grille still looks pretty good today (pic below taken a few minutes ago) but will probably need done again by the end of the summer - this time I won't be so lazy and might just give it a topcoat of paint for good measure.

1465437848_DavidMobile22.0718001.thumb.JPG.1fd78867f70858ea0286f203ef712f04.JPG

yup, wire brush good old hamerite, took all of 1 hour..  looked perfect..

note this was the front lower grill not the side vents, so you can get away with a little non perfection in your application..