free hit
counters
Brake advice - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The only area I have not touched on my car are the brakes, and it looks like that day is coming.  The car had a couple of failed brake items on its MOT today, being:

1) Front brake pad application uneven

2) Rear brake excessively fluctuating

I am not sure if I need to do a full overhaul or replacements - can anybody suggest would they would do in my position given the above details?  Is it just pads or am I looking at callipers as well?

I would say that pedal feel has never been brilliant ever since I got the car, all the stopping feel is right at the bottom of the pedal travel.

Thanks for any advice.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For me it was refurbed calipers all round and new pads. New front disks and pipes ridged and flexi all round and a new master cylinder.  Even at 40mph I don't really want to be thinking will they or wont they work.  In the big scheme of things the cost is minor compared to other bills on a esprit.

Thanks Malcolm, that was pretty much what I was thinking.  With the calipers it was more a case of seeing if I could get the seal kit or if a refurb was necessary.  I know on one front caliper the bleed nipple rusted off and had to be re-tapped.

Don't know about the S2, but on my S3 Turbo the best thing I did was fit upgraded 4 pot caliper front brakes. Completely changed my confidence level...ventilated discs as well....before that I had fitted overhauled calipers and new discs; but the 4 pot calipers gave the car the brakes it should have had to start with. If I were you, I would consider something similar...PNM are the guys to talk to.

Hi Neil,

You can get seal kits for the calipers. Calipers are very simple things (apart from the handbrake mechanism bit on our rear calipers) and dead easy to change the seals. I would suggest that uneven pad application on the front might be down to a sticky piston. Pop it out and have a look. If badly corroded then it's a pro refurb job, If just a little corrosion a gentle cleanup and new seals ought to sort you out. I don't quite understand what the 'excessive fluctuation' bit refers to on the back. Might have a better idea if you can clarify.

Pete

Peter's right...it probably is a sticky piston. I went down the overhaul route with new discs, stainless pistons and new seals, too....but I would still recommend upgrading the brakes to 4 pot calipers. The difference is impressive! Wish I'd done it years ago, and not bothered trying to sort the originals.

"Excessive fluctuation" is most likely either warped disc(s) or corrosion on the disc surface causing less than optimal performance.

All my calipers and front discs and pads ( 88 n/a) came from brakes international.  I seem to remember 2-3 years back they didn't have rear calipers on the shelf ready to go but refurbed mine within 7 days.   I fitted greenstuff pads which feel a bit wooden on the first prod however they will lock the wheels up if pressed hard enough.  I think mintex  somethings? are recommended for bite and feel by others on the forum.

I don't know if your model uses the same master cylinder but I have a vw transporter master cylinder fitted and apart from it has 2 outlets for rear brakes its the same sizes throughout.  I simply plugged the 4th outlet but you could run a 2nd line to the rear if you wanted. I think it was a T4 model BUT CHECK YOURSELF DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about the S2, but on my S3 Turbo the best thing I did was fit upgraded 4 pot caliper front brakes. Completely changed my confidence level...ventilated discs as well....before that I had fitted overhauled calipers and new discs; but the 4 pot calipers gave the car the brakes it should have had to start with. If I were you, I would consider something similar...PNM are the guys to talk to.

This has got to be the most worthwhile upgrade of all. The OEM brakes with solid discs are not fit for purpose, I remember tracking the Esprit I used to have and finding I had no brakes at all halfway through the session. 

Out of interest, PNM do 3 different kits, which one did you choose?

I used the Wilwood kit with the slotted discs....went on very easily and remains the single best thing I have ever done to the car.

PNMJ8982GK Slotted Disc Kit

£425.50+VAT

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Brakes-Upgrade.html  gives all the details and there is a fitting guide on that site, too.