free hit
counters
Paint Finish? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi guys,

A little advice needed. Went to see my LF1 when it got delivered.

The paint finish is not great. There 3 big ripples down the side.

They tell me this is normal with fibreglass. Is it? Never owned a lotus, always porches so not sure if this is the norm?

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What do you mean by ripples? Can you take a pic please?

3 lines in the bodywork. Flaws in the bodywork not really the pain I suppose. Looks like it's not been skimmed over with filler before paint.

If I had saw this on a second hand car I would think it had been crashed, badly repaired and painted.

It's not so much the paint as the bodywork. Will take some pics when I collect. You only see it in sunlight.

I'd reject it until it's rectified. I've owned numerous Lotuses and the paint work has always been very good, certainly no ripples in the paint or fibreglass.

I think i will. And the other lf1 that was next to mine was the same but not as bad.

What happens if i reject as i really dont want a local bodyshop spraying sides of cars etc?

Wouldn't except it! I am not a paint expert but did work in the motor trade for 6 years and the finish should be just like a normal car. Look at any other fibre glass car in the showroom and the finish should be good. In reality you don't expect it to be as good as a German car but you are still spending good money and should expect a good finish. I wouldn't worry about it being repainted tho as a good paint shop would paint it so you wouldn't know its been done.

When I was at the factory on Saturday the process was explained to me like this;

• A cars panels are examined under a white light for defects. Any are highlighted and addressed.

• A layer of a base coat is applied and then the panels to aid the visual examination again under a light environment with remedial action taken on any that don't come up to the expected quality.

• The panels are sprayed and top coated.

• Panels are fitted to the car.

• Pain finish is checked and any defects highlighted but not yet repaired.

• Car is completed down the line

• Checked again for any paint defects any found plus ones highlighted previously are corrected.

• Car is detailed and examined.

• Once checked the car is signed off as being good to go.

Might not be 100% correct but it was basically it.

Flaws in the paintwork shouldn't be there so I would feel no shame in saying you are not happy with this. I could only think your car was damaged in transit?

Buddsy

• Like 1

If my V6 Cup is anything to go by I would say your car is not correct. My car has a stunning finish all over so I can only conclude Lotus are capable of high quality work in this area. If it was me I be having firm words with the supplying dealer after all they shouldn't have cleared the car through their PDI inspection process.

As a quality engineer PDI should have picked all the issues up and recorded them on the build sheet before it left the factory, even the dealer should have PDI it before dispatch to its new owner,

If your not happy take it back to dealer highlight all the issues you have , Take photos off all the issues .

Should be sorted ASAP as Quality is one of the main points that has been improved at Lotus Factory.

Eddie .

My off side rear wing has paint imperfections.

Was a bit childish and over excited when I bought the car from a main dealer and didn't notice them until somebody pointed them out to me months later...

Annoying, if you've noticed them before delivery I too would reject and have it sorted. It's not great for the Lotus brand and the LF1 is a halo car that needs to be perfect!

Another way of looking at it is the rest of the car is perfect so why is that bit not!!

Nice choice of car, I'm v envious!!

Cheers,

A ;-)