free hit
counters
sub-10k daily driver? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I need a daily driver.

Tons of interesting stuff out there for under £10k.

Ideally it should be interesting, reliable, have room for 4, reasonable running costs and capable of putting a few miles on without depreciating too badly.

A few have caught my eye:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 Tommi Makkinnen

Subaru Legacy 3.0R (flat 6!)

Honda Civic Type R

Honda Accord Type R

Renault Clio Trophy

Astra VXR

Mk1 Ford Focus RS

VW Golf R32

Jaguar XF

Monaro VXR (to hell with the running costs, it's got a supercharged 6.0 V8!)

Mercedes CL 600 (twin-turbo V12!!!)

Suggestions and advice welcome (and probably needed!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No?    

There you go. That Citroen will turn out to be an appreciating asset. Which is good. Because by the time you get anywhere you'll be glad to get rid of it.

They're only expensive when they break and the early 2000 era cars were the best built Mercedes ever.    Have I got that right? 

Posted Images

No?

TC-Concepts-Porsche-Cayenne.jpg

:D

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had the same dilemma a few months ago and ended up with a SAAB 93 Aero

Very nice car, quick enough, never had a SAAB before and I wish I'd had had one sooner

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Impreza STi? You could get a Type UK Hawkeye model, which should be reliable and fast. From your list, the Mitsubishi and the Focus RS have probably bottomed out depreciation-wise. Service intervals are short though for a daily driver. I can't see the big Merc dropping any more either, but has obvious dire financial implications if something goes wrong.

Bibs, that never happened.

:2guns:  :spam:

Yes quite partial to the idea of trying a Saab.

Also an Alfa 159 V6.

Both should have been on the list really!

I would go for an Audi A5 3.0TDi Quattro. There are some just under your £10K budget.

I've had one for nearly 4 years now and its the best all round car I've ever owned.

240BHP as standard 0-60 5.9 seconds 44MPG, 4x4, seated 4 comfortable, modern, stylish and doesn't sound like a taxi (V6)!. I've had mine chipped to 280BHP and would say it's more like 5.5 to 60!

I like mine so much that when I traded it in for my Evora in May, I regretted it the next day and bought it back from the dealer.

Oh, BTW we swapped it for our Astra VXR which is on your list. Nice car, fast but torque steering and balding front tyres always springs to mind. All that power at the front wheels. It flies when the car is going over 20MPH. Also economy isn't that good, claims 36 but we could only get 27 and that wasn't going fast neither.

The Audi easily gets 40 all day long and I've seen 50 on some runs!

Thanks David, wise words no doubt. I was going to 'just say no' to diesels but a recent long haul in a BMW 320d returned incredibly impressive mpg. I did feel suicidal after being confined in that black plastic padded cell though. Audis are definitely nicer to sit in £ for £ than Beemers!

I love the Monaro but they are looking very pricey next to a big Merc...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409137364034/sort/default/fuel-type/petrol/make/vauxhall/usedcars/model/monaro/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/postcode/so415rg?logcode=p

South West Lotus have a few Mercs in for sale at the moment...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/aston-martin-db9-coupe-two-owners-and-just-13300-miles/

Do you think Guy would do me a deal on this? Fits the bill perfectly apart from price!

:wub:

For one fifth of your budget, I have been driving about for the past 4 years in a Volvo V40 diesel estate. A magnificent beast, will sit at the autoroute 130kph limit all day in airconditioned, leather upholstered comfort with an excellent standard sound system and does around 60mpg. My ideal daily driver, as it has turned out...carries pretty much anything I need to (other stuff goes on the car trailer!)...dog friendly for when that's needed...and I have the Lotus for when the mood takes me! 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've just sold my 60 plate CTR.    Fantastic wee car.   Mine was one of the last ones so had a standard fit LSD, traction was incredible.

Did 15k at 30.7mpg and will really miss it.   High of 34.5 and low of 27.5mpg

Paint is quite thin, interior plastics are easily scratched and the standard stereo isn't great but i'd highly recommend them.    We're only selling ours as the evora is proving to be much more usable (and addicitive) than planned and the CTR is now my wifes and is only doing 5 miles a day across Glasgow.     As such it will be replaced by a 500 twin air....which isn't nearly as exciting. 

EDIT : Should say my commute is a fast 80 mile A and B road blast, not sure i'd pick it if it was a solely motorway car.   I used to drive the CTR most days and then have the VX220 for sunny days.   Sold mine for £9.5k which i think it pretty incredible value for a 60 plate with 36k on the clock. 

Edited by LazyDonkey

I know you've had a long drive in a 320D but that's still a 4 pot and sounds and feels like a taxi. Have a test drive of a 3.0TDi V6 and you'll be impressed. Lots of people were surprised that mine is a diesel and thought it was a petrol albeit a loud petrol engine!

Oh forgot to mention the torque, 370ft/lbs standard and 420ft/lbs once chipped. Now that's pulling power!

What's a CTR?

I'm in the same boat and probably looking for a Merc - possibly a CLK (??). Had a look at the South West Lotus website but couldn't see any for sale.

Sorry  :blush:

Civic type R.

If you're a real civic geek mine was an FN2  :P

My father-in-law has a CL-600 and it's a fantastic car. I can't fault it. Get rid of the silencers though. :)

Why no Jag XKR/XK8?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I had the XF in there and I'm a big fan of the ally XKR but they haven't depreciated enough for my liking. Not crazy about the steel, cigar shaped XK8, I think I'd look at a nice XJS or XJ12 instead. Clearly mpg isn't high on my list of priorities!

• Gold FFM

Go for the SAAB, cant fault them, I have had 5 over the last 7/8 years. Comfort A+. Handling A+. Economy A. Rliabitlity A+ and fairly cheap to buy now.

Actually John has a point. Some of the best cars are cheap as chips. 1995 Volvo 850 rides fantastically and refuses to die, much like Saab 93:s through the 2000's. Yes they're boring and stuff but...cheap as chips. And those pennies can be used to gold-leaf Esprit bits instead :D

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

CL600, you say? PH Clicky

Its 590 lbs/ft of torque makes Dave's Audi look like a vegetarian. :D

mercedes-benz-cl-cl600-S1438381-1.jpg

Stretch the budget a smidge and swallow a brave pill.

tvr-cerbera-S1079899-1.jpg

Buy some red braces and Relax!

bmw-6-series-S1442559-1.jpg

Or perhaps a newer version of the same thing?

bmw-6-series-645ci-S1425852-2.jpg

Embrace your inner Arthur. Waftastic.

jaguar-xj-series-jaguar-xj8-4-2-v8-sport

Perhaps a little something for the lady?

land-rover-freelander-i6-hse--satnav--bl

Or maybe a big boy's version of the above car?

land-rover-range-rover-v8-vogue-S1408332

I will now take massive umbrage if you don't buy an example of one of these suggestions, or failing that, supply a page long reason why you won't for each car.

CL's doing it for me from that list. The game is to maximise reliable horsepower (NB that's reliable horsepower!) for as little under £10k as possible so going over is not an option. There's really no need, so sorry Cerbera. I've had TVRs before so know the score there. That Shaguar's looking nice, quite partial to metallic green as you know. But surely there's an XJR out there for that money? My Dad has an ally XJR and it's very good, very quick too.

Sorry, my uncle put me off Beemers for life. He was the character they based Swiss Tony on.

Citroen C6? Anyone driven one?

I had my old 2005 320cd for 7 years and 155,000 miles, the only thing I replaced on it in that time (besides servicing) was a seized brake calliper. +40mpg and a "sporty-ish" ride. However the mileage was starting to take it toll, it had to go!

No preference of number of doors, body style, fuel type, insurance etc?

Signature not working...