free hit
counters
Oil pipe unions on sandwich/adapter plate - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Peteric

Oil pipe unions on sandwich/adapter plate

Hi everyone.

I have an oil leak coming from my bottom oil cooler pipe at the union where it attaches to the sandwich plate / adapter plate at the oil filter.

My question is that I know there is an alloy sealing ring for the union to adapter plate but are there any o rings or sealant or anything where the pipe joins onto the union or is it some special tapered non leak join or something?

Just want to know so I can order the correct bits to repair.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lotus used a green-coloured pipe sealant between the fittings and the adapter plate, which dries very hard. The fittings are not tapered. The hoses to adapter mating faces are tapered, and should not require sealant. You could put some on the threads, but not on the mating faces.

Permabond A134 as required - you can buy it in small tubes for about £15-£20.  Also number 32 in the picture below: B907E6301F  (two required)

GT3oilpump4015acloseup_zpsf0aa678a.jpg

The pipe to adapter joint is a 5/8" BSPP with an internal flare (sealing cone).  No sealant needed there.  The adapter to the sandwich plate is a crush washer, technically no sealant needed, but Lotus does use a green Loctite (what I cal Nuclear grade).