free hit
counters
Seat foam - what's best - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

In my Eclat the driver's side seat is looking just a little tired in the posterior area ;)

Looks like the form has collapsed a little and needs replacing.  Now I think it's removable and replaceable, but is there any specific foam that I should be looking to get and cut to shape, or will just any old dense foam from a furniture place do?

Sorry for the influx of noob questions but, with these cars, I'm a noob!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got around to taking the driver's seat out of the car today, and as always, the job is turning out to be more long-winded than I thought.  Seat came out easily enough, but then I've seen that

You can get foam online with all sorts of hardness ratings (I have recently built x2 art deco sofa's!) and it can be easily shaped with an electric carving knife.

My two fronts seats will be on eBay soon.

Posted Images

I can see from the photo that 35 years of entries and exits have deformed the seat bolsters which are made of foam or similar.

In an ideal world replacing the foams with the factory shaped ones would rectify this.

I have no idea if they are still available. I think I have the part numbers if you need them.

Alternatively a good automotive upholsterer would do wonders.

The original foam was moulded to a complex shape when created.  

I had a look at this problem a couple of years ago, spoke to LotusBits, and the consensus was that it isn't practical to try to recreate the foam, either from blocks or by mixing up foam form scratch and moulding it.  It is much easier to find a better second-hand seat.

I believe the two front seats are mirror images, rather than identical, but don't think there is so much difference in the foam shape of the two.  There are loads of good condition passengers seats out there you could cannibalise... 

Edited by Herc

Interesting - thanks for those thoughts Herc.

I might get the foam out and try a long shot and do the old "garment steamer to revitalise foam" trick.  Worth a shot before I try anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Am thinking for now of getting basically a square piece of foam (just cutting it a little) and then placing it below the foam that's already there, to bolster it and push it up a little.  Won't be perfect but might be good for a little while :)

Am thinking for now of getting basically a square piece of foam (just cutting it a little) and then placing it below the foam that's already there, to bolster it and push it up a little.  Won't be perfect but might be good for a little while :)

I don't know if this helps but there is currently an interior on eBay at £39.99 buy it now.

It's ragged but the seats may produce a good seat foam. I picked up some parts from this guy a couple of days ago.

Wouldn't/couldn't let me have a look at the interior even though I said I would tell you about it as a possible sale.

Have a look see what you think.

I don't know if this helps but there is currently an interior on eBay at £39.99 buy it now.

It's ragged but the seats may produce a good seat foam. I picked up some parts from this guy a couple of days ago.

Wouldn't/couldn't let me have a look at the interior even though I said I would tell you about it as a possible sale.

Have a look see what you think.

Will have a look when I get in. All I could find on a quick what search was that leather interior for £150 at auction (ending soon).

The seats on the Elite/Eclat were sometimes criticised for being a bit too flat, with not enough support in the side bolsters - a view with which I agree. For this reason, when I get round to having my seats re-covered, I won't be too worried about getting excactly the right shape foam. Using a good coachtrimmer and explaining what you want to achieve should produce an acceptable result.

ATB Richard

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to taking the driver's seat out of the car today, and as always, the job is turning out to be more long-winded than I thought.  Seat came out easily enough, but then I've seen that one area of the rubber base is ripped, and other areas are looking a bit threadbare.

2015-02-21115214_zpsb97fe185.jpg

2015-02-21115228_zps91911903.jpg

I've ghetto-rigged a fix until I can get hold of a seat in good condition, by putting some more foam in that centre part.  Doesn't look perfect by any stretch but feels a whole lot better and will fit to my butt over time.

2015-02-21142041_zpsf9548e1c.jpg

• Like 2

I still have that pair of seats that would go great your covers.

Looks like his cover has 'gone' as well, the material has parted company with it's foam backing. very common, leaves the covers looking like a bit of rag. Waste of time trying to reuse this knackered covers into.

Edited by Denis247

You can get foam online with all sorts of hardness ratings (I have recently built x2 art deco sofa's!) and it can be easily shaped with an electric carving knife.

As above, this is what they do on the likes of American hot rod, the trimmers can often be seen making up seat bases etc.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 2 weeks later...

The whole rail mechanism can be moved - two rails, and the adjustment lever that connect the pair. They're bolted to the bottom of the seats with four Allen bolts.

• Like 1

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!