free hit
counters
Anyone have Wilwood brake setup on the SE? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone have Wilwood brake setup on the SE?

PO had black Wilwood 4 pot's installed on fronts and rears. Rotors seem to be standard but not sure, and they are not slotted nor drilled, just flat rotors. Shop swears they are V8 kit, but who knows. Can not figure out which pads to buy. Wilwood says disassembly required to get proper part numbers. Ech! Anyone have parts numbers for pads or do I need to take everything apart? TIA.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photos?

Wilwood kits don't work with original rotors from everything I have seen.

Is the center of the rotor bolted to a black aluminum disc?

Wilwood usually uses very common pad shapes. SHould be easy enough to find pads.  I'm guessing you have a Claudius kit.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have Wilwood superlight 4 pistons on all wheels.  Revolution Brake supplied the kits, but anyone would likely need to know the pad part numbers or the Wilwood caliper part number and the rotor thickness to provide correct pads

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Take a look here.

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?appl=&subname=&finish=&numofpist=4&rtrwidth=&pistarea=

Willwood usually uses the same pad within a caliper family (Dynalite, DynaPro, etc...) so you just have to figure out which caliper family you have, and then make sure how thick of a pad you need.

Or look here and see which matches your pads.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakePads.aspx

Then if you find you need a Wilwood 7420 pad shape (for example)

you can choose any of these pad compounds in that Wilwood pad shape

https://www.topbrakes.com/c/racecaliper-items/?manufacturer=Wilwood%20Brake%20Pads&model=7420%20-%2020mm

Just do a Google search for "Wilwood 7xxx PFC" for example.  Replace the xxx with what you found your pad # to be, and use Ferodo or Hawk or whatever.  That TOPBRAKES site is good to get cross references.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Does not look as though there is a black hub sort of thing behind the wheel. Will have to pull it to be sure. I presume that rotor thickness is the worn area or the unworn area thickness? My skill level is that I am hoping to be able to change my own oil.

Great help guys! Well not really. Confusion now reigns supreme. Guess I, (or anyone I can find to do it as I am not qualified to pull a caliper off anything - lol) need to pull 'em and try to find numbers. I drive the car to the Post Office - no intentions of ever putting it on a track, do not like the brake pad squeaking I get from what is on them now. FYI, I sometimes drive over 140 so the need to stop could be strong sometimes.

Suggestions on even the material type of pad I should prefer would help. Descriptions on Topbrake are mostly meaningless to me. I do not even grasp how to tell what thickness I would need. My current shop has become untrustworthy after the shop manager told me he had personally changed my oil and filter only to find my oil level below the low mark on the dipstick since the oil light came on at a hard stop returning from picking up the car. Is this low oil level, after only about 1000 miles since the last change normal, and this is a 2000 mile old complete rebuild. No smoke coming out of the tailpipe though. Is this really correct oil consumption... They installed both new hand brake cables this last trip and both ended up rubbing on the inside of the wheels and have worn away the sheathing down to the metal and polished the rims. Quality work! Both the mechanic and the shop manager drove it like a dragster crunching gears between shifts to try to impress me with my car. Go figure.

optimally, measure the unworn thickness, but the thickness where the pad engages the rotor will be fine for selecting pad thickness.  email [email protected] he is very responsive and can answer questions on pad material selection for your type of driving and eliminating the squeal as well as sale you the pads you choose

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your input. I will email him once I have a front and a rear wheel off with pics taken of what is on the car so he has a better idea. Never had pads squeak like the ones on there now, thought originally they were excessively worn but no marks on the rotors...

The Wilwoods usually look something like this (Claudius kit).

Though this is a 6 piston front caliper, with a black aluminum hat bolted to the back of the hub (standard on an Esprit SE), it would be similar looking for a 4 piston Wilwood caliper.

P8220697.JPG

The rear Claudius kit has a black aluminum hat going over the wheel hub. and a separate parking caliper like this

P8220696.JPG

The Revolution brake kit looks like this with one piece iron rotors (may not have holes or slots)

b861_12.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis,

Thank you very much for the pics! I do not think I have any black hats on my car's wheels, so I would say it looks like the third example. Curved pads? Wow, now I am really confused, nay, lost.