free hit
counters
Retrofitting Oil Temp/Pressure Gauges - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cammmy

Retrofitting Oil Temp/Pressure Gauges

Hi Guys

My GT3 has the revised dash with no oil temp/pressure gauges. I'm just wondering if the wiring is still there to retrofit them somewhere?

After reading about the lack of oil thermostat and long warm up times for oil as a result, I'd like to be able to keep an eye on this. I never drive aggressively until the oil is warm but in this case I can't tell.

Do the oil pressure gauge and warning light run off different sensors/switches? I liked the fact that in my old Citroen they did, so if one failed you could still tell whether it was a false positive i.e. gauge drops to zero but pressure warning light doesn't come on (Joys of French wiring X-D ).

Ta

Cam

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks like sheet 6A in section ML, for the 1998 GT3, the GT3 does have a oil pressure transducer and a low pressure warning lamp.  I don't see an oil temp sender.

But look under your intake plenum, and see if you have a oil pressure transducer and oil temperature sender like this.

Here is the temperature sender under the hose

IMG_2693.jpg

and here is the pressure transducer.

IMG_2694.jpg

I added a PLX Devices gauge along with a wideband A:F meter, a boot transducer, and a dual temperature sensor module to my car.  You can daisy chain up to 32 sensors to the one gauge.

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_cat.php?id=MULT

Brilliant, thanks. I'll take a look.

Hopefully the sensors/wiring are all there and there are just the unused plugs behind the instrument cluster.

Which PLX gauge did you get? the DM-6? Do you mean you can run 32 sensors into a single gauge and switch between them?

Edited by cammmy

I do use the DM-6 gauge, which can only talk to 16 sensors. You do switch between them via touch sensors on the gauge face. The DM-100 can do even more, like display 4 sensors at once, but doesn't have the built in air fuel meter LEDs. I like the graphing feature since it isn't easy to keep your eyes on the gauge, you can always look later.

Brilliant, thanks. Looks like a good piece of kit.

I'll see if I can have a good look for what senders are there over the weekend.

Had a look under there and did see the big pressure transducer. Didn't have a chance to look for the rest of it (it's very busy in there) as I was working on something else. Will have a better look next time. though