free hit
counters
ABS Warning Light on GT3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have a strange fault coming up on my GT3 with regards to the ABS ...or the ABS warning circuit.

First of all, its an earlier GT3 which doesn't have the V8 brakes, I imagine its the same set up as an S4?

For about 30% of the time, everything is normal and then the ABS light will start to flash.

This will carry on until I stop the car and turn off the ignition. If I then restart it again, the light will be out for a while until it starts to flash again.

Occasionally the light will stay on permanently but once again when the car is stopped and restarted, the fault will clear.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the performance of the brakes.

I cant get Espritmon to work at the moment for some reason but Freescan doesn't show any faults at all.

I have had this problem in the past but it would be apparent for a while and then clear for a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Gordon, it will be good to share this one as I have exactly the same thing, start up, drive off and after 10/12 miles I get a flicker, then it will stay on for a while then it goees off again and all is ok. Brakes performing perfectly well and ABS is also working fine.

New sensor on the wheel needed. I had the same problem until I swapped it for a new one. The lotus diagnostic tool told me which wheel it was.

• Like 1

New sensor on the wheel needed. I had the same problem until I swapped it for a new one. The lotus diagnostic tool told me which wheel it was.

Thanks Alex

Which diagnostic tool are you talking about... Freescan, Espritmon or a Lotus tool?

Lotus have a Tech One scanner which comes with an ABS module, Murrays will have one. You can do the same thing with Espritmon though in your own drive once you've got it working :)

Lotus have a Tech One scanner which comes with an ABS module, Murrays will have one. You can do the same thing with Espritmon though in your own drive once you've got it working :)

trying to source another laptop at the moment.... have lost my usb lead which is annoying so using the serial 9 pin for Freescan... perhaps it doesn't work on Espritmon?

Hi Gordon,

It's a wheel sensor like Alex says. As for which wheel, you can do it the hard way and use a multimeter on each sensor. You'll need to spin each wheel when doing it and it's resistance I think you are looking for the one that doesn't change reading. It was over 10 years ago when I had this problem on my 1990 Esprit but I fixed mine using this method.

Well the good news it that it sounds like its a sensor rather than something bigger... any idea what car they are from?

Because its intermittent, I will try to get Espritmon going, failing that I will get the multimeter out at the weekend I guess.

Thanks for the info.

I have searched far and wide for these sensors, but no cigar.  PNM or SJ might have some.  If anyone knows what they're from, share please!

Waiting with baited breath on this one as well and me being an electronic technophobe I will probably have to replace both just to make sure I have done the correct one, so anyone found what they are off yet.

Thanks.

They're only about £30-£45 depending on which one you need. Is there much point in spending many hours looking for an alternative?

so guessing there 4 in total, are they all the same.Guessing would have to replace them all when I dont have the electronic gadgetry to tell me which one it is.

I just drove into Chris Neil's and Paul hooked up the tech one there and then. Took two mins to diagnose, no charge as I bought the part off them, it took me a good while to get the old one off, but then again I am not much of a spanner monkey

Thats fine but I have a 250 mile round trip to get to MMC in Edinburgh so would be just as cheap replacing the 4 I recon, mind you good excuse for a long run out and a visit to see Brandon.

Or replace one at a time until you fix it rather than all 4 at once. Might get lucky and fix it first time, bet it's the rear left :)

Sounds like an educated guess Bibs, how do you come to that one, is it common.