free hit
counters
WTD: Esprit V8 (Pref 98+) - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GhostWKD

WTD: Esprit V8 (Pref 98+)

Hi all,

Looking for a V8 Esprit and have a budget of up to £20k.

Preference is for a 98+ with the updated/newer dashboard, but could be tempted by an earlier one with Oz Furtura's. Definite clear favourite is the later dash though.

Must have had the liners issue addressed in the past with a decent service history, preferably with belts replaced recently and no work needed, lots of recent new parts always a bonus :D. That said, I'm handy with spanners and can consider cars needing a bit of work although would expect the car to be priced accordingly.

Not in a great rush so if you're thinking of selling in the near future please feel free to drop me a note. Likewise if you're after a quick sale I'm in the fortunate position of being able to move rather quickly for the right car.

Many thanks,

Alex

Edited by GhostWKD

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are a few on Lotusforsale...

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ad-category/cars/esprit/

Hi Bibs,

There are indeed but unfortunately not for my budget.

Went to see the Silver one at Snows over 6 months ago when my budget was potentially a bit higher, great car but felt I was pushing well beyond what I had initially anticipated for a car which didn't tick every box for me.

Unfortunately a few months ago I missed a '99 in blue that sold for £18k (£25k asking price initially, didn't want to cause offence so hadn't enquired until it had sold and they dropped the price on the ad to reflect selling price) which would've been perfect albeit I wasn't convinced on the retrofit newer rear lights and have also viewed a '96 (with the Oz Furtura's) which was up for £18k but didn't feel 100% about it for various reasons. In the meantime have seen really good cars go for a little above my budget (for an awesome Esprit which was initially marketed by Scott Walkers for £30k iirc). Also went to view the Burgundy Esprit in Leicester but wasn't sold on the colour and at the time wasn't 100% how much I could stretch my budget.

Not in a great rush so happy to wait for the right car (at the right price) to come up but as I say am fortunate to be able to move quickly should someone be looking for a quick sale of a good car. In all honesty waiting until next year is better for me as I need a bigger garage but should the right car come up I do have alternative locations to store it :)

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by GhostWKD

Prices are clearly on the up so waiting for another year is only going to make your budget go even less far.

Any cheap sub £20k late V8's are only going to need lots of money spending on it or is a basket case. I think those days are gone of finding a low mileage, later dash V8 with liners done etc for cheap money.

You seem determined to get a good car AND a bargain, which just reduces your choice further and could make your wait longer. Getting a good car is the most important part otherwise your saving could get swallowed pretty quick.

The worry would be getting an up to date faultless car at the top end of the budget then finding it to expensive to maintain or repair if something were to go wrong, and it does even with immaculately maintained cars. My thought would be go for a far cheaper one with history, do the upgrades if your handy with spanners and you are then a winner all round and extremely proud of what you have achieved. Joy factor. Huge.  Or stretch the budget for one with everything done, hope it needs nothing for a long time, only use as a Sunday best in dry weather once a month and keep the running costs to a minimum, joy factor zero.

That's only my thoughts having been there and done that with too many cars.

Prices are clearly on the up so waiting for another year is only going to make your budget go even less far.

Any cheap sub £20k late V8's are only going to need lots of money spending on it or is a basket case. I think those days are gone of finding a low mileage, later dash V8 with liners done etc for cheap money.

As I say am contemplating earlier V8 Esprits also. I'm not entirely sure it's a no-hoper though, I'm not too fussed about mileage (fair few long journeys planned) and given that they can be had for £24-26k from a dealer, a private sale plus haggling could potentially put it within my grasp.

Earlier Esprits are a more realistic proposition however, especially when you consider there was a very tidy looking £22k v8 that Top Gear ended up ruining in Argentina from Lotus in Edinburgh then that should be achievable for around £20k in a straight cash sale potentially? Then that same car from a private seller without the SGA/Warranty provided by dealer should be a bit cheaper still. 

Appreciate if I look at the prices of cars for sale right now then I'm way off the mark, but the reality is the majority of these cars have been for sale for months and months (and will remain that way with the prices they're at I believe) with others popping up and disappearing in the meantime.

You seem determined to get a good car AND a bargain, which just reduces your choice further and could make your wait longer. Getting a good car is the most important part otherwise your saving could get swallowed pretty quick.

Quite happy to wait for the right car not looking to rush into a potential money pit, the only issue being as another member pointed out the fact the prices are on the up. That said over winter whilst there will be fewer cars coming up you would expect the prices to remain relatively flat with demand slowing.

The worry would be getting an up to date faultless car at the top end of the budget then finding it to expensive to maintain or repair if something were to go wrong, and it does even with immaculately maintained cars. My thought would be go for a far cheaper one with history, do the upgrades if your handy with spanners and you are then a winner all round and extremely proud of what you have achieved. Joy factor. Huge.  Or stretch the budget for one with everything done, hope it needs nothing for a long time, only use as a Sunday best in dry weather once a month and keep the running costs to a minimum, joy factor zero.

That's only my thoughts having been there and done that with too many cars.

Hi John,

I appreciate where you're coming from and as I say have looked at a wide variety including a car that had been off the road for 10 years (which he'd been driving on 10+ year old cambelt, saying it'd been done x hundred miles ago). Am also considering cars that need work but cautious re the engines as parts for them seem to be pretty high (and that's coming from a Skyline GTR).

In terms of running costs though, those are much easier to sign off with the better half than a higher initial purchase price. When my rental property sells I may even be able to top up the budget a tiny bit if needed but would rather get something for a lower initial price that potentially will need tinkering at a later date.

Thanks all for your responses though I do appreciate them and must say the Esprit forums seem much friendlier than some others I've been on.

Regards,

Alex

Edited by GhostWKD

So much drama about liners!  If they haven't gone bad by now I doubt very much they will in the future

Hi Alex, yes this is the best forum on the net and I have been a member of many as I have been doing old classics all my life, or near enough. On TLF you get the serious stuff, loads of good advice, info on just about any car that's up for sale and you can take the pee out of most of the guys without them taking offence, well except for bibs that is. Great bunch and if you ever meet them socially it can sure be a night to remember.

I get your point on budgets for replacement cars but as mentioned, unless it's been a showroom queen all it's life and never used the issue with most V8 liners should be long past being sorted, as for any other issues, have you seen how many recalls Toyota have had over the last couple of years and now Ford are having a problem so some of the best and most reliable cars can have there problems.

Good luck with your search and keep us informed with the outcome.

A lovely 1997 red one just popped up on ebay, if i was in the market this is my ideal spec, just no money and too much love for my SE stopping me ha ha

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331377252418&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web

That is absolutely stunning but unfortunately it's going to go for more than my wallet can afford to lose :) Not 100% convinced on the red carpet either :D

So much drama about liners!  If they haven't gone bad by now I doubt very much they will in the future

But if it's a known issue then it's a £5k+ peace of mind check surely, why take the risk especially given the potential expense of a fix.

Hi Alex, yes this is the best forum on the net and I have been a member of many as I have been doing old classics all my life, or near enough. On TLF you get the serious stuff, loads of good advice, info on just about any car that's up for sale and you can take the pee out of most of the guys without them taking offence, well except for bibs that is. Great bunch and if you ever meet them socially it can sure be a night to remember.

I get your point on budgets for replacement cars but as mentioned, unless it's been a showroom queen all it's life and never used the issue with most V8 liners should be long past being sorted, as for any other issues, have you seen how many recalls Toyota have had over the last couple of years and now Ford are having a problem so some of the best and most reliable cars can have there problems.

Good luck with your search and keep us informed with the outcome.

Hi John,

Fair summary from what I've seen of the forum, must say the classics world is a little new to me given that my past has been high performing japanese cars (Skyline GTR / Mazda RX7 / MR2 Turbo etc) which seem to be easier to find parts for, even the slightly rarer models. I think forum wise it seems to tick along at a slightly slower pace which is a little refreshing but at the same time does mean it takes a little longer to search for peoples previous experience of carrying out different jobs etc.

Also, whilst I'm here, does anyone know anything about the Blue Esprit V8 with the number plate E18PRT? It's not got the late dash or the wheels I was hoping for, but does seem a genuine example which would be worth a look :)

Thanks,

Alex

No disrespect intended and don't take this the wrong way Alex, but if an unexpected 5K repair bill is going to cause you financial heartache, the V8 is probably not for you (unless you're really handy with the spanners and have lot of time).  Keep in mind you're talking about a nearly 20 year old super car, and it's going to have issues, some outrageously expensive, others not so. 

I had both a S4s and a V8, and someone out of the blue offered me a *lot* of money for the S4s and I let her go.  A while later, I remember telling Roger Becker I sold the S4s and kept the V8 to which he replied "that was stupid, why on earth did you do that" (I felt appropriately shamed by the great man!).  

Every now and then I still see my old S4s and got to drive it recently, and while the V8 has the torque I still to this day would take the S4s over a V8.  In the right hands, with some minor tweaks it'll keep up with the V8 everywhere expect straight line speed.

Anyway, try looking and driving a S4s and see what you think

But if it's a known issue then it's a £5k+ peace of mind check surely, why take the risk especially given the potential expense of a fix.

No disrespect intended and don't take this the wrong way Alex, but if an unexpected 5K repair bill is going to cause you financial heartache, the V8 is probably not for you (unless you're really handy with the spanners and have lot of time).  Keep in mind you're talking about a nearly 20 year old super car, and it's going to have issues, some outrageously expensive, others not so. 

I had both a S4s and a V8, and someone out of the blue offered me a *lot* of money for the S4s and I let her go.  A while later, I remember telling Roger Becker I sold the S4s and kept the V8 to which he replied "that was stupid, why on earth did you do that" (I felt appropriately shamed by the great man!).  

Every now and then I still see my old S4s and got to drive it recently, and while the V8 has the torque I still to this day would take the S4s over a V8.  In the right hands, with some minor tweaks it'll keep up with the V8 everywhere expect straight line speed.

Anyway, try looking and driving a S4s and see what you think

No offence/disrespect taken - nothing wrong with open debate. It's not a question of affordability however, rather one of minimising risk. If you had two cars infront of you, exactly the same other than one having a fantastic service history and the other with none, you wouldn't expect them to be the same price given that the latter would represent a greater risk.

I did see the S4s on PH recently which I contemplated viewing but decided not to on the basis of the V8 is the one I want, anything else to me would be a compromise. Coming from a 500bhp Skyline so all of the extra poke helps :D

Viewed the Blue Esprit on AutoTrader at the weekend. Nice honest car but bodywork has alot of grazes/chips in it, wheels are all kerbed, rear discs are heavily lipped and it has a vibration in the steering wheel at speed and when braking. Contemplating if well sorted mechanicals are enough to help me see beyond the cosmetics (ignoring the few fixes needed on discs/vibration). Also it's the second esprit (out of 4) I've viewed which has bodywork looking worse than I'd have perhaps expected so not sure if I need to re-align my expectations given that the 2 which had good bodywork would've been prepped by the dealers sorting out alot of those chips etc.

Hi Alex,

I think you are doing the right thing sticking with searching for a V8. In my opinion a post 98 is the one to go for as it has much better brakes (Kelsey Haynes system). I've owned many Esprits including an S4s and my current V8 and I'd have my V8 all day long. I've owned my V8 for last 9.5 years now.

Don't worry about brake discs and stuff like that unless it's the late AP discs and bells but even then, I know where to buy these from cheaply. Standard V8 discs are pretty cheap, I can point you in the direction of reasonable ones and pads.

Paintwork varies widely and some people's description of their cars can be quite shocking. For example, I would describe my car as very good with no blindingly obvious defects stood a couple of metres away but when you get close, I could point out a few places for you (rear wheel arch has a scrape, couple of stone chips on lower spoiler, rear spoiler has a chip and bonnet has a chip. You can't see them because I've touched them up using pins of various diameter rather than a brush, to let the pint fill the cavity, which gives a much better results. Other people have seen my car and described the paintwork as mint. Can you see where I am coming from?

Regards,

David Walters

Hi Alex,

I think you are doing the right thing sticking with searching for a V8. In my opinion a post 98 is the one to go for as it has much better brakes (Kelsey Haynes system). I've owned many Esprits including an S4s and my current V8 and I'd have my V8 all day long. I've owned my V8 for last 9.5 years now.

Don't worry about brake discs and stuff like that unless it's the late AP discs and bells but even then, I know where to buy these from cheaply. Standard V8 discs are pretty cheap, I can point you in the direction of reasonable ones and pads.

Paintwork varies widely and some people's description of their cars can be quite shocking. For example, I would describe my car as very good with no blindingly obvious defects stood a couple of metres away but when you get close, I could point out a few places for you (rear wheel arch has a scrape, couple of stone chips on lower spoiler, rear spoiler has a chip and bonnet has a chip. You can't see them because I've touched them up using pins of various diameter rather than a brush, to let the pint fill the cavity, which gives a much better results. Other people have seen my car and described the paintwork as mint. Can you see where I am coming from?

Regards,

David Walters

Hi David,

Apologies I could've sworn I'd replied to you but must have closed the page prior to posting.

Completely understand what you're saying regards condition. I normally find when looking at cars that I don't see anything wrong with the bodywork and then when first wash the car find a few niggles, the Esprit's I've been to see however have almost all had niggles I've spotted right away. Perhaps my expectations of condition are a little high, just figured a car like the Esprit would be most commonly owned by people such as myself who wouldn't live with some pretty meaty stone chips or cracks in paint etc.

Still looking for a V8 Esprit and still not in a great rush (Realistically I could do with waiting until April when a house purchase completes and I'll have a double garage) but do have cash waiting if anyone is considering selling their car in the new year.

Thanks,

Alex