free hit
counters
Esprit V8 Startup - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GhostWKD

Esprit V8 Startup

Hi all,

On the lookout for an Esprit currently and having looked at a few have seen startups varying from a glorious sounding noise, to a light metallic rattle through to presumably a development of the rattle that sounds like a grinding noise.

Had a google and can't find much on this but on youtube can again see that startups vary. Was just wondering what is the norm and what can cause the metallic rattle/grinding noises some V8s seem to have?

Cheers,
Alex

Edit: slight metallic rattle car sounded similar to the second car in this video; 

(at 1min in)

Edit2: Found this thread which implies could be heatsheilds or even the clutch (which makes sense as my Skyline had a twin plate clutch that rattled too) http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/15753-starter-motor-noise/

Edited by GhostWKD

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are so many combinations of exhaust out there, standard Lotus has really no sound at all.. Totally strangled by cats and back box, I have heard straight through with no cats and that is far too loud for me personally, sounds good over 5k revs but like a tractor under 3k .. I am currently running PNM silenced decat pipes and straight through central exit pipes, for me it's a good combination of sound, it's all about personal choice and whether you want to refit the cats for MOT every year, probably the best solution is sports cats and straight through pipes but sports cats are expensive... Also the turbos themselves deaden some of the sound, it will never sound like a TVR which sound fantastic with their normally aspirated engines, just my thoughts.

The heat shields are a poor design and they crack and rattle.  So that could be it.

My left one cracked, and when I fixed it, the rattle went away.

They both sound pretty good to me. :)

the sound you can hear very often in those videos on first spool-up, something that is like a bell on x-mass, this is just the flywheel.  ..it is very small from material and slightly dished, additionally made of a metall (steel) that sounds just like that, especially if the starter gear spurs into the ring-gear  ..to proove that undo the starter (under the plenum) or get under the car and hit the flywheel with the tip of a bigger screwdriver, you will hear it.

On combination with the undamped twinplate AP-clutch, especially if someone presses the clutch pedal on startup, you can hear all kinds of other 'metallic noise'    ..and of course those heatshields there on the manifolds are a source too. 

As long as you do not experience anny different sound from those three typical ones of the known sources all should be OK..