free hit
counters
How terminal (if at all) is the this issue in the boot with the Fibre glass? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How terminal (if at all) is the this issue in the boot with the Fibre glass?

Evening all, 

Seeking some more advice ; I'm going to attempt to paint the picture as I didn't take a photo before it got dark- 

1988 Esprit turbo - in the boot, once you remove the bolted cover to reveal the gearbox,clutch, and exhaust etc , there are two large bolts through the fibre glass into the chassis, into the horizontal beam at least...... the right hand side one has separated and split (the fibreglass is split that is) and the left has been repaired in the past but looks like a bit of botched job. 

There's no movement by hand but under the strain of driving there may be - does anyone know what can be done with this and if it is as big a problem as I am fearing? 

Appreciate it's a tricky one with no pics but any advice appreciated. Cheers all 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll probably spend the afternoon just staring at it......at least ! 

Posted Images

Those are 2 of the main body to chassis bolts (out of 14 total).  They are fairly important... 

I would see about repairing them by grinding out the damaged fiberglass, and glassing in reinforced sections.

If the fiberglass flexes too much, then that will lead to more cracks.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Kez,

if you do this, I'd recommend using woven mat ( rather than the cropped stand stuff shown in the above link) and epoxy resin for the layup. The woven stuff is much easier to handle. Both can be had in small quantities from Easy Composites web site:

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/category/starter-kits.aspx

Check their offerings... You could use carbon or Kevlar for not much more £, they do a good range of small size samples

Dave

Did mine a while back. Found some clean steel panel from an old ford and prepared the area with a grinder. I riveted on to of a strong epoxy resin and then laminated and filled. Painted and bolted back up. Permanent fix.post-16074-0-46459400-1413187637.jpgpost-16074-0-11513500-1413187612.jpgpost-16074-0-84466400-1413187597.jpgpost-16074-0-04806200-1413187579.jpgpost-16074-0-19534000-1413187555.jpg

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Thanks all !! 

Again great help, have a look at those site's now and getting the job straight in my head - to be tackled on saturday afternoon......

Think you may need more than an afternoon. :-) Good luck.

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.