free hit
counters
Leaking roof in rain - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I had my old girl out for the first time last weekend in the rain! I had water peeing in onto my lap from the top corner of the A frame on both sides. I had guessed it was the door seals or the glass roof seal but I had a really quick peep last night and there looks to be a join in the recess around the sun roof where the A frame is joined. At the top of the window screen?

Is this a common problem? Is it a case of mastic in there?

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ive had the channel around the glass fill up if I am on a slope. Front of car downhill.  Water then reaches the bottom of the glass roof seal and soaks into roof lining which is held in place by this seal.  Roof lining soaks up loads and starts dripping into car.

Just a possibility

Simple solution and fix - dont use car in rain. I try to adopt that stance but then got caught out and had leaks from sunroof and blowing in under windscreen. Its not a fault but a feature of the car!

Ive had the channel around the glass fill up if I am on a slope. Front of car downhill.  Water then reaches the bottom of the glass roof seal and soaks into roof lining which is held in place by this seal.  Roof lining soaks up loads and starts dripping into car.

Just a possibility

Pretty much this really. Sometimes removing the sunroof rubber and resealing it to the aperture using a tube of your favourite gloop can help with a lot of the capillary action. Also, make sure your glass is pulling down reasonably snugly onto the rubber.

Or just ensure you always park facing up hill.

Cheers chaps for the input. I will investigate. Could be capillary action. I fitted the header and I left it quite long around the hole as I didnt want to cut it short. Maybe a case of cutting that back. 

Pictures soon.

Makes me wonder this maybe a reason that many have their head linings hanging off?

Buddsy

Don't overlap the header material over the ridge of the aperture. Make sure it's trimmed a millimetre or two below the level of the inside of the lip before securing the rubber seal.

It's glue time! :D

• Like 1

Ok so I think we may have worked out my problem.

This is where I had the water coming in.

IMG_20141014_173646422_zps6d061cf0.jpg

This is what I have above.

IMG_20141014_173815548_zps9d5fe87b.jpg

IMG_20141014_173805270_zps65435af5.jpg

IMG_20141014_173824728_zps3058ed57.jpg

I think I was worried about trimming too much off when I fitted my nice new header lining as it cost so much as Nick Fulcher done it for me.

Buddsy

Ok so another thing I notices was when the window wiper was running every now and again there was a loudish knock coming from it. I have looked and I think it was hitting the stop every now and then. There is a bump rubber on the bracket stop but sometimes my wiper arm goes below it and hits on the metal. I think this is due to wear in the ball joint on the other end of the arm. Im going to get a longer rubber on the bracket.

Buddsy

When the wipers are on "fast", they overshoot a bit and biff the stop. Mine leaks through the door seals in a downpour...I once was under a vicious cloudburst on the autoroute into NW Paris...it was so bad all the traffic pulled over to the hard shoulder and stopped!! Water came in like Niagara and soaked my right knee...and the carpet.....we were stuck for 15 minutes or so before it cleared through enough to move. So much water coming down that nobody could see!! I avoid the rain.....

• Like 1

In two years Ive not taken her out in the rain but I kinda got stuck in it!

Buddsy

It does happen....I remember haring down the M3 heading for Fordingbridge when it started to rain....turned on the wipers...nothing!!! Aaaarrrgghhhh......! Turned out that Mr. Lucas' Dark Forces had been at it again, and the intermittent wiper control had failed....which put the kybosh on the wipers totally!! Of course, I didn't know that at the time.... I felt around under the dash....and found this plastic thing..I knew this was the intermittent control... and it had two connectors to join it to the system...and one of these was a plug and the other a socket....and it felt like one would fit into the other!! Nothing ventured...so I plugged the two together...and away went the wipers!!

Still like that now.....I have the Lucas thingy in a drawer somewhere, ought to mend it some time!!

And do something about the door seals......always something to play with....