free hit
counters
wood backing for S2 rear lights? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mat grant

wood backing for S2 rear lights?

Hi all,

This has been on my "to do" list for ages - On removal of the rear bumper, I found two pieces of wood behind the rear lights, between the rear lights and the bumper.

My car is an S1 but someone has retro fitted an S2 rear bumper and light units. So I'm not sure if this is original or not - can anyone with an S2 elite or eclat tell me if their car has this? If not, what should be there?

On mine (needless to say) they have started to fall to bits, so assuming these should be there, I'll get my local DIY shop to cut me two new pieces from marine ply, and coat them with fibreglass resin as I did with the crash structure boards at the front.

Thanks, Mat.

post-9232-0-30234700-1413214023.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mat, 

My S2 Eclat has a dense foam Gasket 1/2" thick, almost same shape as your wood, my S1 Elite had a very thick bead of mastic around the outer edge of the light cluster, both are to stop water getting into the rear light clusters.

I have a Sprint rear bumper in the shed I'll check that later and let you know.

Regards

John

Mat,

Finally remembered to check on the Sprints rear bumper it has a thick bead of mastic same as the Elite.

I would think the foam gasket would give better sealing than the wood as it can be compressed and its easy to get hold off.

Regards

John

The wood 'spacer' was used to give the lights a better visibility, especially used on the front bumper. They still had a foam gasket for weather sealing.